Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Leicester is not north, you Mockney Fool.

Leicester is the Midlands. Which is like the North but without whippets, flat caps, Kes-type feral children, or outside lavatoires.

R.
Not quite true, Leicester has shit holes all over.

<butch runs for cover before MMC catches him>
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
Any of you expats picked up the accent or do you still sound like you could be living in the UK ?
When I lived and worked in South Wales I had a slight Welsh accent.

When I lived and worked in the South West, I had a mildly south western drawl.

Both of these moves resulted in me losing my regional accent and becoming more "middle English" in my speech (shudders in horror).

Now that I have lived and worked in BC for three years (noting that I have an aversion to spending time drinking tea and such with expat Brits or watching british TV), I have now a Canadian accent and use Canadian redneck slang. It's not by design, but when you live and work it, it can't really be avoided.....part of the change process.

It's no surprise really. I suppose if I hung with brits I'd be saying "oh hello good morning come and have a nice cup of tea" etc.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Leicester is the Midlands. Which is like the North but without whippets, flat caps, Kes-type feral children, or outside lavatoires.

R.
North to me, innit.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:12 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Not quite true, Leicester has shit holes all over.
Correct but in context the shit holes of the Midlands are on par with the North, I'd say.

Oldham = Castle Vale/Small Heath/Sparkbrook, B'ham.
Longsight M'cr = Stoke on Trent
Wrexham/Wrecsam = Hull

etc.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:13 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
North to me, innit.
North of you is Sudbury, old bean.

R.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

North of you is Sudbury, old bean.

R.
Sudbury? That's northwest, near Harrow.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:23 pm
Lotus-eater

<snorts>
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

R.
Er, I agree with you that Leicester is not north.

For "north" characteristics add Vimto, people like Bet Lynch and Vera Duckworth.

My wife finds those signs you see on the M1 northbound, just outside of London that say in huge letters 'The North' to be hilarious.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by clynnog
Er, I agree with you that Leicester is not north.

For "north" characteristics add Vimto, people like Bet Lynch and Vera Duckworth.

My wife finds those signs you see on the M1 northbound, just outside of London that say in huge letters 'The North' to be hilarious.
"Hatfield and the North"
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Harrow? That's south, near Windsor and Point Pelee.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:41 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by clynnog
ha ha equally, I used to find those signs that said "to the shops" to be hilarious.

Britain. Oh so quaint.

R.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

ha ha equally, I used to find those signs that said "to the shops" to be hilarious.

Britain. Oh so quaint.

R.
another one that has been pointed out to me from an 'outsider' looking in at the UK is the ads in newspapers for stores that says 'open until late'...with the term 'late' never defined.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

I haven't lost my accent at all, but I have only been here 2 years. The kids have though
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"Hatfield and the North"
The problem is that they dont seem to have bothered to erecting the accompanying sign that announces when you actually arrive in "The North".

Maybe I never quite went far enough, but I did have to go all the way to the northern end of the M1 to get to Uni and I'm pretty sure Yorkshire is proper North.

Thinking about it, Leicester CANT be "The North"

They still have roadsigns to "The North" even in Nottingham, and thats further north than Leicester

Last edited by iaink; Sep 25th 2008 at 6:08 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The problem is that they dont seem to have bothered to erecting the accompanying sign that announces when you actually arrive in "The North".

Maybe I never quite went far enough, but I did have to go all the way to the northern end of the M1 to get to Uni and I'm pretty sure Yorkshire is proper North.
No, Iain, at Perth there are still signs for Aberdeen, Inverness and "The North"...!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.