Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

Don't mean to scare you but my roomie has just got back from Vancouver after she got strep throat last Sunday night. She woke up Monday morning unable to breath / swallow got rushed to the hospital and they put her immediately on an iv and had to stick a needle down her throat to get ri of some of the shit.

She got home last night and told me that the the doctor said if she had left it any longer she could have suffocated.

Like I say its not meant to sound scary but do not take this lightly - it scared the hell out of all of us back here knowing she was far away (although in good hands) and so poorly.

Get your little one to the docs immeiately
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:33 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

mandi

he went there last week, they said if left untreated it can lead to hospital..
he went on the medician that night, i was was scared on the rash that follows, so just let your roomie know she may get the rash as he is onto the week after, also can take 2/3 weeks to get out of there system.....

i spoke with the doctor this morning and he is back under my eye again...........no rest for that guy
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:35 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that in NS they have different terms for medical conditions we have in the UK. In the UK, if you were vomiting we said you had a stomach bug or ate something 'off'. Here, they say you have the flu (although no sneezing, coughing, sore throat or shivering) which is confusing since we all know what the regular flu is.

FYI influenza is called flu here too. I went for my first ever flu shot this winter and everyone was amazed that I had never had one before (healthy 45 year old).

I am amazed at the amount of people (of all ages) that get pneumonia here
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
I have a friend in Canada who sometimes mentions her kids having strep throat, and I've also never heard of it or known anyone who has had it. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing! Do you think the extreme colder weather might bring it on (compared to places like UK and Australia, where I am)?

Is it common there?
The other thing people in Canada get is canker sores ... aka mouth ulcers. I nearly fell over laughing the first time I heard that one, I mean, horses get canker, lol!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
mandi

he went there last week, they said if left untreated it can lead to hospital..
he went on the medician that night, i was was scared on the rash that follows, so just let your roomie know she may get the rash as he is onto the week after, also can take 2/3 weeks to get out of there system.....

i spoke with the doctor this morning and he is back under my eye again...........no rest for that guy
Eeeek sorry not following the story properly too self involved at the mo sorry Gill.

K will tell her - shes loads better today amazing what the right meds do hey? will tell her about the rash and advise to buy some new foundation
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:41 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Its real weird rash as well, i was there washing him baby soap, he even had a full body rub off my E45 cream as well

i was thinking ouch it must be the soap that we use...blablabla
and then i get told its normal

At least he smells nice
He hasnt had it on his face yet, so she maybe ok

Hope she gets better soon xx
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I am amazed at the amount of people (of all ages) that get pneumonia here
Yeah we was talking the other day and one of the mums said her OH has pneumonia, as i was looking shocked one of the english mums whispered to me and said its a UK cold dont worry

Lets say the other mum wasnt impressed, but i thought it funny, i am still getting used to different ways of saying things, my 4yr old keeps telling me off for saying nursery "it's daycareeeeeee, mom"

I'll just take her with me where ever i go, to tell me what all the little saying are, still cant get used to supper, its tea in my house, supper is milk and biscuits before bed
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant future

My son was taken to the doctors before the new year and was advised that he had strep throat

Since then he had rashes on his body and i thought we was over it and now has a light rash on his feet.
They have advised that this is normal as its the infection that does it, he had to come off the medician for 24hrs as he was being sick, is this normal with strep throat

i have never heard of it until we came here, anybody else dealt with this in kids.
At the moment his joints are sore and i feel for the littleman, been up since the early hours as he just wants to cuddle, i dont mind just need match sticks...lol

Really looking for anyone who can share info, doctor thinks all this is normal :curse:
I had this in the States and I couldn't even get a cold beer down so I do sympathize with the lad. They gave me amoxycillin ( make sure not allergic) and it cleared up in a couple of days. I subsequently keep a few back in case of another infection as it was a most painful experience.
Hope it clears up soon.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Is it normal for them to have a rash and sore limbs?
that is the bit that is really confusing me
Hey hunni

this has only just dawned on me - Phil had Tonsilitis on and off for a few years in the Uk and although he didnt get the rash as Master Moondevil seems to have gotten he did suffer with his limbs,

One bout of it he could barely walk - honestly ! He was in huge pain from all of his joints and I had to near enough carry him to the docs not an easy task eh

Gaynor
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I had heard of strep throat but only rarely. Seems very common here.

Pneumonia is used here when the UK would call it a chest infection. Here they do swabs and isolate which bug has caused it. Same as flu, here lab work is done to name that bug/virus. Cases are reported to the Health Unit amd outbreaks are declared, especially for nursing homes, hospitals etc. I don't recall that happening in the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

looks like more time off school for him then until he is clear......
I'm sure the poor kid is heartbroken at that.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked it up. The rash is scarlet fever.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hey hunni

this has only just dawned on me - Phil had Tonsilitis on and off for a few years in the Uk and although he didnt get the rash as Master Moondevil seems to have gotten he did suffer with his limbs,

One bout of it he could barely walk - honestly ! He was in huge pain from all of his joints and I had to near enough carry him to the docs not an easy task eh

Gaynor
Thanks for that, as you the size of him it hasnt been easy to carry him around, he asked earlier if i'd take him to the basement to play, so i went down and brought his toys up, easier than getting him down there, he isnt eating much as well, so now we are doing the blood checks again.

Poor guy he doesnt come down with anything and bang he gets this..ouch
Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I'm sure the poor kid is heartbroken at that.
He is actually captain, he actually loves school here and wanted me to carry him there this morning.......erm NO
His teacher is so sweet, mind you my eldest was the one in the uk never wanting to goto school, this morning she was sorted and gone, even though her brother was off, tell you shocked my mum
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:30 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
I have a friend in Canada who sometimes mentions her kids having strep throat, and I've also never heard of it or known anyone who has had it. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing! Do you think the extreme colder weather might bring it on (compared to places like UK and Australia, where I am)?

Is it common there?
No more common than in the UK - first time I'd heard of it was when my sister had it back there - but likely they call it tonsilitis instead.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I looked it up. The rash is scarlet fever.
No you can get scarlet fever from strep throat, but scarlet fever carry a high temp, he doesnt have that......
But if you leave strep throat and do not treat it, especially in young kids, then there is a list of stuff that can happen.....................scary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.