Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:46 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

My son was taken to the doctors before the new year and was advised that he had strep throat

Since then he had rashes on his body and i thought we was over it and now has a light rash on his feet.
They have advised that this is normal as its the infection that does it, he had to come off the medician for 24hrs as he was being sick, is this normal with strep throat

i have never heard of it until we came here, anybody else dealt with this in kids.
At the moment his joints are sore and i feel for the littleman, been up since the early hours as he just wants to cuddle, i dont mind just need match sticks...lol

Really looking for anyone who can share info, doctor thinks all this is normal :curse:
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strep Throat - Anybody had it?

Originally Posted by moondevil
i have never heard of it until we came here, anybody else dealt with this in kids.
Its very similar to "Tonsilitis"

Doesnt make it any more fun though

Last edited by iaink; Jan 9th 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:27 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink

Is it normal for them to have a rash and sore limbs?
that is the bit that is really confusing me
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink

I've had strep throat...when I was in the States I don't think they ever diagnose 'strep' in the UK they always just call it tonsilitus as far as I know and yes it is rubbish and you feel awful.
You can get hives/rash with it and if he's on antibiotics that might be why he's being sick...there are certain kinds that can cause nausea or that people react to, there's defo one that I can't take.
I used to get it 4 or 5 times a year when I was a kid so I feel for him but you're doing the right thing don't panic
Did they give him any form of painkiller? Like ibuprofen? I had a doctor once who told me most of the pain was from swelling so if you take an anti-inflammatory that should help, although he might be too young for it.

Hope he feels better soon
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi Moondevil,

Sorry your little one is under the weather.

My daughter has enormous tonsils that regularly become infected and it does make them feel really grotty.

The rash and sickness are all part of the illness and should go quite quickly once he is back on the antibiotics.

Make sure he drinks little and often and avoids acidic drinks such as orange juice and lemonade.

Give him junior paracetomol and ibuprofen, joint pain is normal, joint swelling is not, so take him back to Dr if this occurs.

Hope he is feeling better again soon, meantime make the most of it , cuddle up with him and take a nap when he does! ( probably easier said than done I know!)

Regards
D
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:38 pm

Yeah its the rash that got me worrid more than anything, plus i am alergic to penicillan, so i kind of watch my kids if they give them anything like this....

i am going to wait for the doctors to open and give them a buzz as he was totally clear yesterday and started again last night...
He says his throat is fine and not sore anymore, just the rash, so maybe time to take him back, just to be checked

I have to admit i thought the rash was to some soap we had changed but reading about strep throat maybe not, just the course of the bug :curse:
but he says his poor feet hurt and there is a light rash there this morning, goes when you touch it....

i wish i could nap, my other little one wont let me do that
The joys of kids eh
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moondevil
Is it normal for them to have a rash and sore limbs?
that is the bit that is really confusing me
Totally normal for the rash etc, we were actually warned this would happen to our daughter by the doc we saw.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by jempee
Totally normal for the rash etc, we were actually warned this would happen to our daughter by the doc we saw.
O thanks for that, that has put my mind at rest, looks like more time off school for him then until he is clear......

Wow never had anything like this in the uk and then they have brought every bug home that they find
they have all been advised if they find any more bugs "to leave them where they find them"

I suppose having the stuff now after only being here a couple of months will build there immune system up for future stuff......
Just bad as we have done our first xmas with sickie kids.

Thanks for the advise, off for cuddle time and see if i can nod
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:18 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

I've had strep throat a few times. Yes you can get a rash because the strep isn't just in the throat. They usually start you off with a big dose of antibiotics to start, and then regular doses for a full 7 days. But the antibiotic itself can also cause a rash. Strep can be nasty, so always best to check with the doc with anything that worries you.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

"Strep" because of the bacterium streptococcus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strep_throat

It is not the same as tonsillitus but may affect the tonsils.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

I have a friend in Canada who sometimes mentions her kids having strep throat, and I've also never heard of it or known anyone who has had it. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing! Do you think the extreme colder weather might bring it on (compared to places like UK and Australia, where I am)?

Is it common there?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeny
Give him junior paracetomol and ibuprofen, joint pain is normal, joint swelling is not, so take him back to Dr if this occurs.
What about that purple Calpol (sp?) Can you get it over here? In fact can you get it in the UK still?

My tonsils were always a problem when I was young and I had purple Calpol til I was about 12 (as I hated the Orange 6+ version), and my tonsils still are my achilles heel if I get tired or stressed.

I too had never heard of strep throat before coming to Canada, although I assumed it was tonsillitis when I first heard the symptoms but someone at work told me it was different

Hope the little one gets better soon
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
I have a friend in Canada who sometimes mentions her kids having strep throat, and I've also never heard of it or known anyone who has had it. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing! Do you think the extreme colder weather might bring it on (compared to places like UK and Australia, where I am)?

Is it common there?
Barely anyone here has heard of MRSA.

My great uncle had it when he died a couple of years ago and I was pleasantly surprised when no one I had heard of it when I mentioned it.

Well I say mention it....it was more of a rant about my parents for allowing the hospital not to put it on his death certificate.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
Barely anyone here has heard of MRSA.

My great uncle had it when he died a couple of years ago and I was pleasantly surprised when no one I had heard of it when I mentioned it.

Well I say mention it....it was more of a rant about my parents for allowing the hospital not to put it on his death certificate.
After being hospitalized in Atlanta Georgia i am now MRSA positive its common as muck there to the point that they dont even test for it Infact if you enter a hospital there you will leave MRSA +.. Now back here in the Peg, i am quaentined,even just for therapy which i do 3 times a week.. we giggle about it why,, Canada doesnt want to admit that most probably a large percentage of its hospital staff are also MRSA+..
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by live to ski
What about that purple Calpol (sp?) Can you get it over here? In fact can you get it in the UK still?

My tonsils were always a problem when I was young and I had purple Calpol til I was about 12 (as I hated the Orange 6+ version), and my tonsils still are my achilles heel if I get tired or stressed.

I too had never heard of strep throat before coming to Canada, although I assumed it was tonsillitis when I first heard the symptoms but someone at work told me it was different

Hope the little one gets better soon
No calpol here i am afraid, but they have advil which all my kids know when we have been on visits.
The doctor has advised that the rash is normal with strep throat and like many i have never heard of it before we got here, so i hope the info helps any parents in the future.

I have to admit that it scared me when he told me he couldn't walk right at 3am this morning, but he has just gone back on the medician and they advise that he will start picking back up later, he has a strong strain of the strep throat and could take a few weeks to clear, wow i am glad i have a dishwasher as they have advised all have to be washed in v.v hot water, change his toothbrush next week and also re-new his pillow or wash on hot wash

Fingers crossed this is the last of it, i feel like going out and putting a heat lamp on the snow, just to clear it.

Thanks for all the well wishes - He said "thanks", hes asleep now...lucky thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.