Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Stereotyping your job...

Stereotyping your job...

Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stereotyping your job...

Do people automatically love your or hate you or take the piss out of you because of the job you do?

What job is universally respected?

What job title - if someone you just met told you they did/had - would cause a strong reaction from you - good or bad?

My current job title would make people yawn. Benefits and Pensions. "She's/that's boring", but benefits can be sexy, let me tell you.

In a previous life (cop) I would have been mostly disliked (in the UK), which was hard cos I like people...

In my next life, I think I'd like to be a dog groomer... so I think that means I am just slightly left of mad.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stereotyping your job...

P.S. I'm hoping that at least one lawyer, one banker, one cop, one border officer and one realtor will show up on this thread to defend their honour.

Stereotype? Me?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:34 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Do people automatically love your or hate you or take the piss out of you because of the job you do?

What job title - if someone you just met told you they did/had - would cause a strong reaction from you - good or bad?

My current job title would make people yawn. Benefits and Pensions. "She's/that's boring", but benefits can be sexy, let me tell you.

In a previous life (cop) I would have been mostly disliked (in the UK), which was hard cos I like people...

In my next life, I think I'd like to be a dog groomer... so I think that means I am just slightly left of mad.
Well timed thread Ann considering the other one going at the moment (7000 cops).

I get all three here, and to be fair got it in the UK too.

I find it very subjective though. People love me when I do something they want, hate me when I don't. People love and hate me when they first see me, depending on who they are and what is specifically happening to them at that precise point when I arrive. And, people constantly take the piss - too short, too old, too English!, too slow, too stupid, too heavy handed, too soft, I could go on forever. What I would say though is that Canadians are way behind the Brits on the piss taking level.

I avoid at all costs disclosing what I do to new people I meet, really just because I don't want to answer a thousand questions and/or watch people squirm in discomfort due to whatever minor thing they have done in the past.

I would like to come back working on Air Sea Rescue with the RAF.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Being an ex Military policeman, copper in the Lancashire constabulary, correctional officer and now Border Services Officer I have had all the good and bad directed at me.
At my stage now I really don't give a **** what people think of me or my job.
I can take it and dish it out where warranted and I don't consider myself to be anything special just doing a job that some would like to do and others wouldn't.

As for my next job and reading this article I can see myself as being the luggage Nazi for an airline company.
Hi are you checking in any bags today?
No I only have carry on
Could you please place your carry on into the carry on luggage measuring device.
It won't fit
Well then its not carry on so you will have to check it and that will be $25 please
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...-campaign.html

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jun 11th 2014 at 10:46 am.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance sales advisor --- squirm

I want to go back to doing what I really really really enjoy. Working with real people. I want to help make a difference in their lives so that it improves their lives... I do a bit on the side now but the day will come when I can get back to it properly!!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I was once asked what my job was.
I thought for a good minute or two and realized that I didn't have an answer for them.

I have no idea what I do.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rae
Well timed thread Ann considering the other one going at the moment (7000 cops).
Well - that is what got me thinking... it's the broad brush-strokes to paint everyone in a certain role as all the same. I wondered if I do the same? I honestly don't think I do, but as I can't think of an example right now....

I'm usually curious about other people's jobs - how they came to choose that profession, did they just "fall into it", did they train specifically for it, do they love their job, what else do they wish they could do....

I'm lucky that I've usually really enjoyed 80%+ of each job I've had. Maybe every job has a 20% crap rating?

And really, many jobs are just that - a job. They do not fully represent the person.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I have no idea what I do.
Excellent. Do you want to do more of it?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

P.S. I'm hoping that at least one lawyer, one banker, one cop, one border officer and one realtor will show up on this thread to defend their honour.
rae and Former Lancastrian - two for two.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:59 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. Do you want to do more of it?
nah , I just want to get paid more for doing it
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Most people seem to think that an X-ray tech is a fairly basic job that requires few skills, little physical or mental effort, and minimal compassion. Oh and a little training course.

FL, if it's any consolation I heard people talking about how good the border officers are at chatting to the kids and making sure they are ok.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they do. Fat cat, scumbag, lying bastard are par for the course. I have thick enough skin though.

Queen of England but, on a more serious note, I suspect the only ones that spring to mind are doctor/nurse.

None, there are good people and outright assholes in all occupations. I take each individual as I find them.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have trained to be a doctor and, more specifically, a surgeon. Meet people for a few moments and work while they are asleep. Anton Meyer's character would be a good fit for me!

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jun 11th 2014 at 1:49 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the service friends thought I had a fantastic job and wanted some of it, that was until we had a few conflicts and getting shot at was less than appealing. In civvi street they thought I had a cushy overpaid job (it is not) and was on one long vacation. Airline flying is 30 minutes of driving around on asphalt, followed by 12 hours of boredom and then 30 minutes of excitement hoping you hit the asphalt on the right spot and the right way up.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I usually get "wow how exiting" but my job is a lot of sitting around trying to stay alert.

@Aviator

Fully understand your statement
I did my PPL in the UK, but found flying a powered aircraft boring compared to paragliding, or sailplanes, so I just did a few flights a year, mostly circuits as that was the most exiting it got, and the odd friend flight round Blackpool tower and stuck with flying without an engine for kicks.

Last edited by magnumpi; Jun 11th 2014 at 3:20 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
In civvi street they thought I had a cushy overpaid job (it is not) and was on one long vacation. Airline flying is 30 minutes of driving around on asphalt, followed by 12 hours of boredom and then 30 minutes of excitement hoping you hit the asphalt on the right spot and the right way up.

I was going to say you missed out the sex with the glamorous cabin crew but right spot the right way up and I expect asphalt is a euphemism, so maybe you didn't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.