Some updates.

Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some updates.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am not an expert on the worlds healthcare system's so your asking a question that cannot be answered by me.

It's just extremely frustrating living somewhere with so called universal healthcare only to be denied healthcare because I can't afford it.

I'm just going off what I have read, and learnt over the years.

I very much doubt whether the US would be an option ................ medical treatment is expensive down there, and I know from a friend that the treatment he delivers as a psychologist/psychiatrist doesn't come cheap. He once told us that the insurance takes so long to be paid out to the doctors that he will no longer treat patients that way. The patient has to pay up front and then claim back from their insurance. That came after several months where the group had so many bills outstanding and awaiting payment from the insurance groups that there was less than $400 to be shared among 4 doctors as one month's salary after they had paid the rent and salaries to the staff.

UK has free prescriptions, but I don't know how easy it would be to get the treatment you need there.

It's just you keep saying Canada is not providing you with the services you need.

Is there anywhere that would?

Or should you start looking for that 1 good thing that has happened every day, as someone has already suggested?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Reversed quote order.
Originally Posted by scilly
I'm just going off what I have read, and learnt over the years...UK has free prescriptions, but I don't know how easy it would be to get the treatment you need there...
It's just extremely frustrating living somewhere with so called universal healthcare only to be denied healthcare because I can't afford it.
I think what scilly is getting at is it would likely not be any better anywhere else - although there may be some statistical anomaly somewhere with fluke funding/resources disproportionate to population.

The Guardian is full of news reports about the same lack of mental health care in the UK and a friend of mine back there blogs on his MH issues and his complaints mirror yours.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Reversed quote order.
I think what scilly is getting at is it would likely not be any better anywhere else - although there may be some statistical anomaly somewhere with fluke funding/resources disproportionate to population.

The Guardian is full of news reports about the same lack of mental health care in the UK and a friend of mine back there blogs on his MH issues and his complaints mirror yours.
I know what she was getting at. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Borderline also has the highest death rate of any mental illness but is the most difficult to receive treatment for.

Anyhow, I am trying to decide if I should take a pay cut and go to another job that might lead to more opportunities down the road, but would cause hardship in the short term (a few years at minimum) and would requiring being able to move up in positions as the position available tops out at 17/hr after 10 years per the current union contract.

Hard to decide, not possible to do my current job + the one I am thinking about as both require open availability and ability to work any shift without restrictions from school or another job.

My current job pays more, but as we are an outsourcing company its all fairly short term, contracts only run 3-4 years with no guarantee of renewal.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 24th 2018 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Anyhow, I am trying to decide if I should take a pay cut and go to another job that might lead to more opportunities down the road, but would cause hardship in the short term...

My current job pays more, but as we are an outsourcing company its all fairly short term, contracts only run 3-4 years with no guarantee of renewal.
So how long into that 3-4 years are you now?

If you didn't make that possible move now, could it be made later? And if it didn't work out, could you make a move back to the current one?

Speaking from experience a little hardship is certainly do-able if you know, absolutely know, it will get better.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So how long into that 3-4 years are you now?

If you didn't make that possible move now, could it be made later? And if it didn't work out, could you make a move back to the current one?

Speaking from experience a little hardship is certainly do-able if you know, absolutely know, it will get better.
We have another 1 or 2 years at least, possibly longer.

Moving companies would be unknown, who knows how long if ever I would be able to move up, in theory it would be possible, but reality I haven't a clue if it would actually happen.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Borderline also has the highest death rate of any mental illness but is the most difficult to receive treatment for.

Anyhow, I am trying to decide if I should take a pay cut and go to another job that might lead to more opportunities down the road, but would cause hardship in the short term (a few years at minimum) and would requiring being able to move up in positions as the position available tops out at 17/hr after 10 years per the current union contract.

Hard to decide, not possible to do my current job + the one I am thinking about as both require open availability and ability to work any shift without restrictions from school or another job.

I’ve been sitting on my hands/trying to restrain myself from commenting since I came back to checking BE.

However, I’ll repeat myself yet again:
- You are not alone in living with mental health problems.
- You’ve had good comments & been given suggestions for options/resources for mental health treatment repeatedly.
- Many of us who try to support you here live with “short-term” contracts (3 - 4 years is NOT short term in my book) and/or low wage jobs. Not to mention mental health issues.

I realize that much of your (what can be perceived as) negativity and “shooting down” all and any helpful suggestions/advice/comments is the BPD talking, however:
- you are holding down a job (and I know that’s not easy)
- You have a roof over your head (and I know it’s expensive)
- You have options (which may or may not be viable in the short term, but you still have them)

It may happen that you never get a better paying job, or never get to move up the “career” ladder. That’s reality for a huge number of people who don’t struggle with BPD or any other illness/disability/health issue.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I’ve been sitting on my hands/trying to restrain myself from commenting since I came back to checking BE.

However, I’ll repeat myself yet again:
- You are not alone in living with mental health problems.
- You’ve had good comments & been given suggestions for options/resources for mental health treatment repeatedly.
- Many of us who try to support you here live with “short-term” contracts (3 - 4 years is NOT short term in my book) and/or low wage jobs. Not to mention mental health issues.

I realize that much of your (what can be perceived as) negativity and “shooting down” all and any helpful suggestions/advice/comments is the BPD talking, however:
- you are holding down a job (and I know that’s not easy)
- You have a roof over your head (and I know it’s expensive)
- You have options (which may or may not be viable in the short term, but you still have them)

It may happen that you never get a better paying job, or never get to move up the “career” ladder. That’s reality for a huge number of people who don’t struggle with BPD or any other illness/disability/health issue.
Whichever way you look at it is tough for JS. He is in a frame of mind where he can't accept that things could change and improve. It's a catch 22 / vicious circle type of situation and he cannot get out of that mind set.

It's a very easy step to take to find yourself in that situation regardless of Border Line or not.. Hubby has been looking for a job for a year now. He is up and down like a yoyo and I never know what to expect. This morning for example he was lovely and smiling and joking, fast forward just a couple of hours and he is down in the dumps and feeling very sorry for himself... he can't see an end to this cycle of "apply for job, don't hear back, apply for another job, get interview, don't hear back...and repeat". It's heart breaking to see this big strong man gradually fall apart in front of me and there is nothing I can do to help him!

So yes, JS, pull yourself together, you have to fight those demons and get the better of them... it's bloody hard and you said that the odds are basically against you, but think about it, there are others worse off than you, you at least have age on your side... but I understand that it's so much easier said than done!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

I do what I can.

As for treatment there is unforutnanly nothing in the public healthcare system that provides the necessary treatment that I am aware of.

Ive been in and out of the system for the last 7 years and have always been told there is little that can be done. I have done what was offered but it was general short term groups geared mostly towards addiction and depression.

The public system refers me to the private center which at this time does not offer a sliding scale.

It is easier said then done and yes others are in the same boat however that does not invalidate how I am feeling and the outlook I see.

Yes I have housing until end of August for sure.

Not sure we can pay rent beyond that since we lose disability so that is still unknown.

Just because a city has mental health office does not mean they offer the needed services or appropriate services for every mental health condition.

I was told by the mental health office last spring they wish there was something they could do to help but they dont have the services needed.

I just know I cannot do this job forever. My body is feeling its age now and getting hard to do with foot problem and knee problem I have now.

Just not sure what other jobs I would do well in.

Hotels never work out as they are high stress same with retail and fast food.

I am also becoming annoyed at work so only a matter of time before I reach a point I cannot handle it anymore and my mental health is worn down and affected in a poor way.

I am on the verge of going home today.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 28th 2018 at 7:30 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I do what I can.

As for treatment there is unforutnanly nothing in the public healthcare system that provides the necessary treatment that I am aware of.

Ive been in and out of the system for the last 7 years and have always been told there is little that can be done. I have done what was offered but it was general short term groups geared mostly towards addiction and depression.

The public system refers me to the private center which at this time does not offer a sliding scale.

It is easier said then done and yes others are in the same boat however that does not invalidate how I am feeling and the outlook I see.

Yes I have housing until end of August for sure.

Not sure we can pay rent beyond that since we lose disability so that is still unknown.

Just because a city has mental health office does not mean they offer the needed services or appropriate services for every mental health condition.

I was told by the mental health office last spring they wish there was something they could do to help but they dont have the services needed.

I just know I cannot do this job forever. My body is feeling its age now and getting hard to do with foot problem and knee problem I have now.

Just not sure what other jobs I would do well in.

Hotels never work out as they are high stress same with retail and fast food.

I am also being triggered more and more at work so its only a matter of time before I end up quitting.
Ever tried EFT?
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Ever tried EFT?
No. Just cognitive as its the only one that has ever been offered at mental health and while it had some benefits its not the best option.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 8:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://vcfi.ca/individuals.php
Old Apr 28th 2018, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if you have looked elsewhere for cheaper accommodation?

If I've worked it out correctly, you are paying around $1600 a month where you are currently.

I used to refer students to check out the Marpole area as it almost always had the lowest rental rates. We still have friends who rent in that area, some have been there for over 50 years, others for around 20 years.

The specific area is between Granville east to Oak, and 70th south to SW Marine Drive. The apartments are 3 or 4 storeys maximum, some built in the 1950s, others between about 1960 to the late 1970s, many still walk-ups but a lot with elevators, most are rental though there are a few more modern condos.

It was zoned 2 years ago to remain as such ............ old buildings could only be replaced by ones of the same height, and rental was to be replaced with rental. That will stay as such for at least the next few years.

The low rise apartments on 70th, Granville and Oak themselves can be and are being replaced by high rises to 6 or 8 storeys, with high rents or for sale, but within the area cited, very little will change

The friends who live there say that rents for new tenants are around $1300 to $1600 for a one-bedroom apartment. Everyone seems to keep an eye on the going rate, no matter where they live!! There are just one or two buildings that are a little dicey, largely because the managers have been convinced to accept people on Social Welfare and have not carefully checked the tenants they have accepted under that aegis ......... some misjudgements made.

You do seem to have to walk or drive around the streets checking whether there are rental signs out, and then to contact the manager ASAP. I don't know whether the managers advertise on a web site or in which paper.

It is also much closer to the airport ........... Granville Street leads straight to the Arthur Laing Bridge, and Oak Street has an easy access to the same bridge.

A cheaper rent would make life a little easier for you.

I take it that your wife is unable to do any work or earn any money, as that would again make life easier.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scilly
I take it that your wife is unable to do any work or earn any money, as that would again make life easier.
That would depend on her own health at this moment in time.

Jsmth321. Please don't feel you have to share this publically as this would be your wife's personal/private business.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 11:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am on the verge of going home today.
Nopes J. Nopes. You stay right where you are and finish that shift.
Have a good stomp , cry or whatever about it once work has ended for the day.
Then you set your mind to go back in for the next shift. Yes . You . Do.

I'm so proud of you and how far you have come. Stick with it best you can and just continue to express and offload here.

Hope her indoors is doing better .

M
Old Apr 28th 2018, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
That would depend on her own health at this moment in time.

Jsmth321. Please don't feel you have to share this publically as this would be your wife's personal/private business.

Good point ...... although I didn't mean for Jsmith to go into any kind of detail about it. Just that I was assuming that that was the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.