Some updates.

Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some updates.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am trying to better my skills, it's just funding though. I can't get into a school without paying tuition and that is the hurdle, and it's not a hurdle I created, it's a hurdle the government has by raising tuition beyond a point people can pay out of pocket. Student loans are not an option to everyone, and many short term non-degree training programs are not even eligible for student loans.

I have worked for many years trying to go back to school and finding funding, and there is funding if your eligible, the trick is finding it, and most it seems requires either unemployment, under employment, or having been on EI in the last X amount of years.

I spent several months working with a work BC person, unfortunately I got a job before I could get to the funding part, so now I am no longer eligible for their services.

So how does one who cannot pay the tuition rates, supposed to better their skills/training when they can't personally pay out of pocket?

Most short term programs seem to range around 7-10k and that isn't doable out of pocket on 13 and some change per hour.

I can only work with what is available to me. I have spent more time and effort trying to get back to school then you likely realize.

And I did ask my employer regarding the link Aviator left above, the answer was they don't see any benefit to the company, and are not interested.
Here you go again, putting up hurdles.

From your recent posts, it appears that you wish to obtain some, relatively, basic qualifications. Here's an idea: go to your local library, take out some books and teach yourself. I am very, very confident that there will be books that will enable you to do so. I accept it will take some time but it will not cost you anything like the amount of money you suggest (FFS my daughter's engineering degree is only costing her $4,500 a year in tuition so I fail to see how maths 101 will cost double that).

While at the library, try and make some friends with the staff. See if they are aware of anyone that will assist you. I bet that there will be a retired teacher somewhere that will be willing to do so. Buy them gifts every now and then.

I appreciate that you mental health issues mean that you find it easier to look at the downsides to everything rather than the upside but, as I said above, what you have done in the past hasn't worked and you need to find a new way forward.

And, please, please, please, stop telling me that I don't understand how hard life can be for others. We get it and I'd wager that I have had to deal with far more difficulties in my life than you have had to deal with in yours. Life is not easy for most people so stop using that as an excuse.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Upgrading classes isnt the issue.

The issue is the cost of the actual training for the program that will train me for a specific job.

You cannot self teach yourself that.

I am not putting up the hurdle the school is by making tuition too high that people can afford.

If I could afford the tuition I could have started last September, Jan or next month.

The only hurdle is tuition and that hurdle is not my doing.

The cost of your daughters engineering degree isnt relevant as I am not interested in an engineering degree.

Copy and pasted directly from the VCC website, the total costs of tuition but not books and supplies.

2 of the classes are pre reqs. The higher cost ones is the actual program.

Length
16 weeks
Certificate

Interpersonal Communications - Health (MSKL 1104)
course schedule schedule 1.0 credits $387.48

Medical Device Reprocessing Clinical (MDRT 1211)
course schedule schedule 20.0 credits $6,729.00

Medical Device Reprocessing Theory (MDRT 1201)
course schedule schedule 7.0 credits $2,357.00

Medical Terminology 1 (OACP 1108)
course schedule schedule 2.5 credits $238.04

As you can see the total cost is 9,711 before books and other misc costs and fees.

Not sure why people think someone with low income could ever pay that amount out of pocket.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 9th 2017 at 2:34 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 2:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

When you look at the course schedules for those courses on the VCC website, I'm not surprised!! It's 16 weeks of FULL TIME school, the classes are like 8 hours long. So yeah, of course the costs are going to be higher.

Can you look into doing some of them part-time instead?

For example, I found a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician course, that's 1 year to complete part-time as a correspondence course (so you don't have to factor in travel time and costs), and it's just over $1k.

Medical Device Reprocessing Technician - Correspondence Course - Vancouver Community College

It's not the full certification, but it's a start....
Old Aug 9th 2017, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The issue is the cost of the actual training for the program that will train me for a specific job.

I am not putting up the hurdle the school is by making tuition too high that people can afford.

If I could afford the tuition I could have started last September, Jan or next month.

The cost of your daughters engineering degree isnt relevant as I am not interested in an engineering degree.

Copy and pasted directly from the VCC website, the total costs of tuition but not books and supplies.

Length
16 weeks
Certificate

As you can see the total cost is 9,711 before books and other misc costs and fees.

Not sure why people think someone with low income could ever pay that amount out of pocket.
Tell you what. I, fortunately, can afford to fund that for you. I will do so on the basis that, so long as you are obtaining passing grades, no repayment is necessary at that time. When you finish the courses or you fail, you begin to repay my outlay at $100 a month until it is repaid. No interest, no additional payments.

Over to you.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 4:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

JS, how about taking one of the pre-requisits first (Medical Terminology perhaps) and see how you get on? I have seen the same course available online (distance learning) where you can work at your own pace, so perhaps that would be easier to do and enable you to continue to work?

Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Tell you what. I, fortunately, can afford to fund that for you...Over to you.
BE Scolarship? Crowdfunding?

Possible?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:44 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Tell you what. I, fortunately, can afford to fund that for you. I will do so on the basis that, so long as you are obtaining passing grades, no repayment is necessary at that time. When you finish the courses or you fail, you begin to repay my outlay at $100 a month until it is repaid. No interest, no additional payments.

Over to you.
Holy cow.... That is a seriously good offer JS, grab it whilst you can -nice one AC
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Holy cow.... That is a seriously good offer JS, grab it whilst you can -nice one AC
Agreed. Lovely offer AC.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I have to agree, if you feel capable of passing, then this is a great bargain esp the no interest part. Gives you more incentive to knuckle down.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 3:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not sure I could do process server, I am a little too anxious to approach a random person and hand them the papers...lol... The runner job sounds interesting and I think I could do that job.
I'd tend to agree with your honest assessment there.

I am working all sorts of shifts currently, early mornings, nights, and sometimes both shifts in a day. Not being forced to though, easier to work more at 1 job then to find another job requiring another commute.
Good on you for sticking with this. Being in work is so much better than not really, even if it is hard yards and not any fun. You'll still be doing yourself good as well as earning your own dosh.

Other half isn't working anymore due to some relapse, not as bad as last time, but work isn't in the cards at the moment, but this time we has quick access to doctor and RX change so I think it might be easier this time around.
She is a lovely lady is your wife and I really hope that she is a whole lot better soon as is possible although I know it isn't at all easy .

I obviously can read that you are once again looking for ways to alter the circumstances for you both. I will just say here fair play to you both for making the move that you both have and managing to find , stick with and pass those exams for your current job. Well done you.

Is the phlebotomist idea out the window. Short interaction with people. A helpful worthwhile job which is always needed somewhere. We have dedicated medlabs for that here . Is it the same there?

I just think that for any training or redirection you need to think how to keep the pressure for you to the minimum. Not just for you but also for your wife right now. Work , even if you don't much like it, is healthy so you need to keep on with that - my opinion only of course . Perhaps something part time where you are given what to learn with assessments to pass and some one to one hands on help with that.

Meanwhile you keep on doing as well as you are. You are not my family but I am proud of you.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 3:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Length
16 weeks
Certificate

You can have my medical terminology textbook. I no longer need it and it's just taking up space. I can probably teach you medical terminology over Skype so you can ask for RPL and not have to pay for the unit at college.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 3:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Over to you.
That's an incredible offer. You have shown what BE is all about with that post.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:23 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Over to you.
Wow.... .... amazing offer. JS, I hope you take him up on this.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Pending the ability to get some sort of financial assistance, I may go and upgrade my math in the fall to grade 11 level. My math abilities are poor so who knows if I'll pass or not, but will give school one last try.

Figure if I can't pass math this time, I really have to find some sort of way to obtain a decent job without any additional schooling...

4th or 5th attempt at upgrading math, I just can't seem to learn math beyond the basics...
eh!

Doesn't BC provide FREE high school courses to adults for them to achieve the high school diploma?

Take High School Courses - Province of British Columbia
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a high school diploma so didn't qualify for the free upgrading. The new NDP government has announced it will be going back to tuition free adult upgrading (it was previously tuition free, then a couple of years ago the BC Liberals decided it shouldn't be.)

The announcement was just made 2 days ago, so unsure if the websites have been updated.

Originally Posted by not2old
eh!

Doesn't BC provide FREE high school courses to adults for them to achieve the high school diploma?

Take High School Courses - Province of British Columbia

To the others, I agree AC's offer is generous, and I have sent him a PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.