Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So close to Vancouver, yet so far.

So close to Vancouver, yet so far.

Old Apr 6th 2015, 5:14 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So close to Vancouver, yet so far.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was looking through archives for the Squamish newspaper, as it's interesting to see how this town was in the past. Even as little as 15 years ago, it was a totally different town, articles about working life, and railroad and timber, to LNG and mostly enviro stuff now.

Back in 2000 in the real estate section they had new condos for sale at 199,999 and I got curious about what they sell for now, there were a couple on MLS and they are listed at 179,000 to 199,000, so it appears that answered by question, condos are not a good investment in this town.

I know my wifes mom bought one in that building brand new and sold last year and had to reduce her price to 189,000 to sell it, she lost 12,000 on it.

Not related to this topic of the post, but thought it was sorta of in a round about way related.

We are going to work on reducing our debt, saving money, and then in 5-7 years time, maybe find some small BC town nobody want to live in and be able to buy something.

Must be some small town in BC that isn't pricey....
Prince George?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 10:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Prince George?
We are looking at other regions. There are a few places on Vancouver Island with housing prices we could potentially afford in the future.

I am wary of being too far from the border due to the high cost of of getting to/from the northern regions and the US, in the event of a family emergency down in California.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got round to getting your Canadian citizenship yet Jsmth? That would enable future cross border endeavours that you may want to do, because if you were to live in the US, as well as losing healthcare you would lose PR after a period of time I believe. I do recall you saying that your GF is a UK and a US citizen as well as Canadian so I don't think you'll have an issue there.

Good luck with the college program!
Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:55 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
It is unbelievable how bad house prices are here. Nearly everyday in the metro I am reading about the average house prices and how much they are going up - I was warned before I came out here though.
Please don't start me off...

Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Have you got round to getting your Canadian citizenship yet Jsmth? That would enable future cross border endeavours that you may want to do, because if you were to live in the US, as well as losing healthcare you would lose PR after a period of time I believe. I do recall you saying that your GF is a UK and a US citizen as well as Canadian so I don't think you'll have an issue there.

Good luck with the college program!
We wouldn't be going until I had citizenship here so we wouldn't have to worry about my PR stuff. I've been here far long enough to get it, and hope to apply this year.

And that is if ever do decide to move somewhere else, we have no plans to at this time, just researching and seeing options for the future.

Should of done just done way way back when I first could...lol Would have been cheaper.

There was an article in the paper about the housing crunch in town, and the lack of affordable housing for low income and seniors.

The low income housing currently has a wait list of 80 with a total of 30 units available in total. The community services folks and a church are building 32 more low income units as part of a new church and community complex they have planned, so they will hopefully reduce the wait list down to 40, but by then likely more people will have been added.

Reduced rent market apartments like we are in, have no income restriction but are mandated to charge a % of the average rent for the region which currently makes these units 850 and 900 up from 700 and 750 last year, those units have a wait list of 10.

Family housing also has a wait list, that complex is only available to families with kids under 19, also a wait list.

Senior housing has a wait list of of 50 people and a total of 70 units, they were able to reduce their wait list by no longer accepting smokers as tenants, those units are all subsidized by BC Housing.

Nobody expected this sort of housing issue so quickly, 20 months ago the place we live couldn't even rent every unit and they sat empty, now there is so much demand, they have waiting lists and pretty much nobody has anything available and those that do a charging out of this world rent's.

But developers have thus far not showed any interest in building anymore rentals and just adding more high priced houses and town homes, so renters will see little reprieve and likely only going to get worse.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 11th 2015 at 1:11 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 8:40 am
Account Closed

Looks like rents have gone up again. We looked at a 1 bed 1 bath in this building in Nov 2013 and rent in this building then was between 800 and 900.

No it's between 1,300 and 1,700.

I haven't a clue how anyone can afford these rents.

"A one-bedroom, one-bathroom is available in a great location across from the Squamish Valley golf course in Name of Building removed building. Features include a huge south facing balcony, secure underground parking, in-suite laundry, fireplace, and private storage locker. Enjoy shopping, hiking, biking near by in a very quiet location. Pets are welcome! I am looking for long term renters, minimum one year. Available June 1st. $1400.00/month."