Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Snow storm in an automatic

Snow storm in an automatic

Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Snow storm in an automatic

Hi everyone,

I have driven in the states/Canada tons of times but never in snow. It's getting nearer to my hols and I am just wondering how an auomatic handles in bad weather conditions?

I am assuming that automatics are harder to control as you can't use your gears for extra traction on the roads etc.

Could someone please give me some tips on how to drive an auto in bad weather? I know that it a stupid question! Here I would just drive slow and use high gears but not sure how it works over there

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:50 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow storm in an automatic

Originally Posted by act1980
Hi everyone,

I have driven in the states/Canada tons of times but never in snow. It's getting nearer to my hols and I am just wondering how an auomatic handles in bad weather conditions?

I am assuming that automatics are harder to control as you can't use your gears for extra traction on the roads etc.

Could someone please give me some tips on how to drive an auto in bad weather? I know that it a stupid question! Here I would just drive slow and use high gears but not sure how it works over there

Thanks for your help.
Use the low and high gears in the Auto. Or just take it easy on the acceleration and breaks. It's all very straight forward as long as you use common sense. Drive how you think you should drive and ignore any impatient drivers near you.

To be honest, i think you may be over thinking things slightly. Just relax, go with the flow, and enjoy your holiday.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Use the low and high gears in the Auto. Or just take it easy on the acceleration and breaks. It's all very straight forward as long as you use common sense. Drive how you think you should drive and ignore any impatient drivers near you.

To be honest, i think you may be over thinking things slightly. Just relax, go with the flow, and enjoy your holiday.
Thanks!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Act1980

This is my first time of driving an automatic in the snow and I just drove at a speed I felt comfortable at and gave myself plenty of time for slowing down and braking (gently of course).

As stated in El-Rico's post ignore the impatient drivers. Common sense is the order of the day. If they want to drive into oblivion then that is their choice. Some of the drivers I have seen in the trucks and some cars have been a little scary, I am sure think that they are invincible.

Keep safe
Mandy
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trophy
Hi Act1980

This is my first time of driving an automatic in the snow and I just drove at a speed I felt comfortable at and gave myself plenty of time for slowing down and braking (gently of course).

As stated in El-Rico's post ignore the impatient drivers. Common sense is the order of the day. If they want to drive into oblivion then that is their choice. Some of the drivers I have seen in the trucks and some cars have been a little scary, I am sure think that they are invincible.

Keep safe
Mandy

I'm currently driving a rented automatic on all season tyres, a Toyota Matrix. It's terrifying.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Using the low and high gear settings in the vast majority of auto transmissions is useless.

Placing it in a high gear i.e "D" the transmission will still go through the lower gears before settling in to high once at speed.

Just place the vehicle in drive "D" and be very gentle on the throttle if you feel the wheels start to spin you've not been gentle enough so back off the gas.

Some vehicles will have traction control and will not allow wheel spin, that can be both good and bad. Most times good but there are occasions when some spinning of the wheels will get you out of a situation.

Winter driving as already stated is mostly common sense, it certainly isn't an exact science.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Using the low and high gear settings in the vast majority of auto transmissions is useless.
Unless you're going down a steep-ish grade in adverse weather conditions where constant breaking isn't the most suitable option
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Unless you're going down a steep-ish grade in adverse weather conditions where constant braking isn't the most suitable option
Point taken.

I was only thinking of starting out not trying to stop.

However if the vehicle has anti-lock brakes you might be better of using them anyway. Just a thought.

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 6th 2009 at 3:41 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help.
Insist that the car rental company put on winter tires and not just all season ones. They are useless in the snow and ice. There was a documentary about how crap all season tires are and how rental agencies rip you off by not putting them on their cars. The advice is, insist they do.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
Insist that the car rental company put on winter tires and not just all season ones. They are useless in the snow and ice. There was a documentary about how crap all season tires are and how rental agencies rip you off by not putting them on their cars. The advice is, insist they do.
Hi,

I called them before bookig and they told me they won't put them on, that they only have the all season tyres.

Getting a little worried now
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I called them before bookig and they told me they won't put them on, that they only have the all season tyres.

I'd be worried too, some places they are mandatory. Check this out.

Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Let's be honest, if you weren't getting worried about this, you'd be getting worried about something else equally silly.

I've lived in or near Toronto on and off since 1982 and I've yet to drive a car on snow tires.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Let's be honest, if you weren't getting worried about this, you'd be getting worried about something else equally silly.

I've lived in or near Toronto on and off since 1982 and I've yet to drive a car on snow tires.
I agree. I've lived most of my life in snowy places, and have never used snow tires. I'm not arguing that they don't help, but a careful driver can get along fine without them. To act1980: pretend there's an egg under your foot between your shoe and the accelerator or brake pedal. You need to accelerate and brake without cracking the egg.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:27 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also contact your airline. Some of those airplane tyres look pretty slick to me. I'd be worried.....
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what province you are going to , I think some have regulations that make all cars must have them on. If possible I would call different rental companys.
Hi,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.