Snow Report 2008!

Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snow Report 2008!

Originally Posted by G77
I bought a snow brush in Zellers at the weekend and noticed they had extendable handle brushes too. I guess you do need a certain amount of bodily height to begin with though to make use of them....
I have a snow brush that I can clear 1/2 the roof from each side. I think that 'sheets of ice' can be cleared from a car roof etc. Often the transport trucks are the worst offenders when they throw a sheet of ice down on the road. They are stored in the open and it would be hard to get on the roof and clear them off.

I see many people who just clear off the windscreen (and then just with the windshield wipers) and let the snow on the roof, boot, bonnet etc, just blow off through the wind and into cars behind them.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think flying ice is just a feature of driving in adverse conditions such as prevail from November to May.

-20 though, yes, that's hell.
As well as that, the clouds of freezing exhaust fumes made pulling away from traffic lights a bit scary in Winnipeg. I really couldn't see a thing most times. Doesn't seem to get that cold around here
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
As well as that, the clouds of freezing exhaust fumes made pulling away from traffic lights a bit scary in Winnipeg. I really couldn't see a thing most times. Doesn't seem to get that cold around here

Not being able to see where you're going, due to fog, blowing snow, windshield not cleared yet, is the biggest problem in winter. I was 40 miles into a 50 mile trip before the heater worked enough to clear the windows this morning.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Not being able to see where you're going, due to fog, blowing snow, windshield not cleared yet, is the biggest problem in winter. I was 40 miles into a 50 mile trip before the heater worked enough to clear the windows this morning.
I'm sure I posted about a scary drive from ND back to Winnipeg one time - we couldn't see the road so used the satnav to show us when bends were coming up
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure I posted about a scary drive from ND back to Winnipeg one time - we couldn't see the road so used the satnav to show us when bends were coming up
You have a lot of faith in your sat nav to do that......I recall a Top Gear where Clarkson let this Mercedes go around the test track w/o steering as the in car computer had downloaded the course...it worked but it looked nerve racking.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:33 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Souvette did something equally scary about five years ago on the 401 just east of Toronto. A bastard of a snowstorm cooked up; visibility close to zero at our level. She slipstreamed a 52' truck, that could see where it was going, and followed its tail lights. Real close and at speed. Brown trouser time.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 40 miles into a 50 mile trip before the heater worked enough to clear the windows this morning.
There was a character in the old Lil Abner cartoons that you seem to resemble he is pictured below.

His name was Joe Btfsplk a short biography is at the link below, it sounds a lot like your experiences with vehicles.

http://www.deniskitchen.com/Merchant...os.joe.btfsplk

Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
There was a character in the old Lil Abner cartoons that you seem to resemble he is pictured below.

His name was Joe Btfsplk a short biography is at the link below, it sounds a lot like your experiences with vehicles.

http://www.deniskitchen.com/Merchant...os.joe.btfsplk

http://www.deniskitchen.com/docs/bios/bio.jbtfsplk.jpg
I don't think I have disproportionate mishaps. I suspect I just drive more than most people and so there's more opportunity to collide with objects, get speeding tickets and so on.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

I often drive by distance from the electrical poles. I suppose that's one advantage of the windmills, lots of gubbins to help judge where the road is. So far this winter I've stopped to help four motorists who were stuck, in all cases they'd just driven off the road because they couldn't see it, rather than having an actual crash. It's not good, winter.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's not a very long walk.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:56 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We had a dump of snow overnight and today is freeeezing. Currently at 7pm it is -19C including windchill.

Had to laugh at my puppy, Toby this morning when he was romping around the garden. I am going to rename him snowball
Attached Thumbnails Snow Report 2008!-img_3392.jpg  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We had a dump of snow overnight and today is freeeezing. Currently at 7pm it is -19C including windchill.

Had to laugh at my puppy, Toby this morning when he was romping around the garden. I am going to rename him snowball
Sorry, but that picture of poor little Toby made me
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

A foot of new snow overnight. I drove to Barrie, none of the roads had been ploughed, lots of crashed vehicles. And then to Guelph through heavy falling snow and hail. In Guelph it's warm, all that snow is melting and spreading out ready to freeze tonight.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:54 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was -19C and tomorrow it's forecast to be +12C. That makes for a 31C difference in around 36 hours

boots, sandals, boots, sandals
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

Here in Kenora, we've had about 40cm of snow so far and it's -22 Celcius at the moment.... Due to drop to -28ish later tonight.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.