Sled dogs culled :(

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:53 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sled dogs culled :(

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
mmmmm, not being able to download the linky to see, I'm not sure whether or not they could have been given to a shelter to rehabilitate and rehome???? Dunno - my guess is that 100 huskies is too many - so that option is out of the window.

Vets wouldn't put them down eh????? Can't say I blame em really.

Leaving the guy to dispose of them himself. Which by the sounds of it went a bit tits up.

None of the above scenarios are ideal tbh and I could get on my high horse about if you can't handle the fallout, don't get the animals in the first place.

However being the ex owner of a rank horse that went to slaughter because he was a freakin retard, I can't even stand by my own words.

So to summise IMO, sad but it happens.
The problem was they got more dogs to accomodate the busy olympic season - olympics over - hmm what to do with the excess dogs - ooh lets shoot em !
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:59 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm then someone was being a tad irresponsible. It's not like a corner shop has overstocked on Hershey Bars and now can't sell em.

Saw a snippet on the news earlier, seems as though those involved either don't want to talk or are washing their hands of it.

This should result in prosecution - if it indeed is found to be the case that they just bought the dogs for the season and then went and blew their heads off -that, in anyones book is total lack of respect for life.

It would seem that they were just trying yo make a fast buck (pardon the pun) and were completely in the wrong to not have put any thought into what whould have happened after the Lympics. At the very least someone should have tried to rehome them. Yes granted DBD 100 fur trappers aren't gonna come aong but if they could show EVERY OPTION was considered - they may get a bit more understanding.

And on a final note - seriously??? - if you're gonna kill one yourself - make sure your a good shot.

Will watch and see what happens.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

What annoys me is that the chap that killed them - did some one hold a gun to his head and say right do it. . .nope . .. he did it of his own free wiil - so why claim stressy work thingy??
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:09 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Is it? Where is large-scale infanticide practiced in a modern society, please? Or are you crapping on about Harperite refusal of a woman's right to choose?
I've no idea what your last sentence means, but I am saying that in a society which allows for the disposal of inconvenient children, it's a bit whiny to bleat on about killing a bunch of dogs.

I'm not in any way an anti-abortionist, just against hypocrisy when it comes to sentimental treatment of animals.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:51 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I've no idea what your last sentence means, but I am saying that in a society which allows for the disposal of inconvenient children, it's a bit whiny to bleat on about killing a bunch of dogs.

I'm not in any way an anti-abortionist, just against hypocrisy when it comes to sentimental treatment of animals.
Well quite, the next thing we will see people claiming that they want to move abroad for a better life for their dog.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Well quite, the next thing we will see people claiming that they want to move abroad for a better life for their dog.
I did that....sod the children.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I think the company should have done more to rehome these dogs (or even had homes set up for after the 'lympics, or hired in extra dogs, or charged more for sled rides whilst the 'lympics were on to be able to support the dogs afterwards and I think the way they were put down was inhumane, that's what I think is terrible.

Thousands of healthy dogs are humanely disposed of every day, little will stop that happening when there are people that are not responsible enough to neuter and spay their animals and to have tighter controls on breeders, that's life. That's sad.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:40 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
classic
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:29 am
half a century

Originally Posted by dboy
classic
I was watching that and thinking is that man rally going to . . . OMG he did oh and again!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:33 am
half a century

ps he looks like Mike from Spaced !
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think the company should have done more to rehome these dogs
Me too!

And given that I live in Pemberton and work in Whistler it's surprising that I didn't hear of anything to do with the rehoming of 100 sled dogs last April.

Whistler Animals Galore last July/August successfully rounded up and rehomed stray dogs from Mount Currie and, I'm sure, would have assisted with rehoming these animals if asked.

Last edited by zmartin; Feb 3rd 2011 at 5:38 am. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:31 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I actually went on our dogsled ride last week, and I have to say it was good fun, as people on here told me it would be.

This was before this news broke of course, but while we were waiting to go, and meeting the dogs, several of whom were 9-10 years old and "on their last season", it did occur to me to ask what became of them when they "retired".

The guide assured me that they "tried to rehome them" but I wasn't totally convinced. I'm sure none of these dogs would make good house-pets exactly. No they weren't viscious, there was no bad temper displayed amonst themselves even, but undoubtedly they would not be house-trained or well-mannered in the "pet" sense.

I have friends who keep and use sled-dogs of their own, and they certainly would not destroy a dog that got too old to pull, but these commercial ventures maybe do not have that luxury ... I hope there are folks with acreages who are actually able and prepared to take these old doggies on, but I feel decidedly less comfortable about the whole idea than I did last week!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:44 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Our cat has a better life here than she did in England. I hope she's grateful.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

According to a local news report yesterday the company did try to re-home the dogs. The SPCA refused because they were not "suitable". The company then approached a vet who refused to put them down because they were healthy.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
The problem was they got more dogs to accomodate the busy olympic season - olympics over - hmm what to do with the excess dogs - ooh lets shoot em !
Seriously can't relate to that mindset at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.