Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scottish family living in England.

Scottish family living in England.

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice
Default Re: Scottish family living in England.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes I see that you have to be a resident of Scotland to be eligible to vote.
So will we see a mass exodus of Scottish people from all over the world heading back to Scotland so they can vote and will they stay in Scotland if the YES vote wins?
Im assuming that all of those Scots who want independence will have no qualms in moving back and living there.
Would be greeted with huge enthusiasm in parts of England if it did but somehow I doubt it?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Won't it just be like what happened when Canada got independence? If you have an old passport that says "Citizen of the UK and Colonies", you could continue to live and work in Canada without needing to be a Canadian citizen, likewise, people who are UK citizens should be able to continue to live and work in either England or Scotland. Only babies born in either place will become Citizens of either the non-Scotland UK or Scotland and face any restrictions. Also it may encourage the UK and Scotland to be part of the Schengen agreement, so there are no passport checks at the borders.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Also it may encourage the UK and Scotland to be part of the Schengen agreement, so there are no passport checks at the borders.
There won't be any checks at the border. Neither the UK or Scotland will want to put blocks on travel/trade.

Edit: Scotland would presumably want to remain part of the common travel area

Last edited by Alan2005; Mar 22nd 2013 at 9:25 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Won't it just be like what happened when Canada got independence? If you have an old passport that says "Citizen of the UK and Colonies", you could continue to live and work in Canada without needing to be a Canadian citizen, likewise, people who are UK citizens should be able to continue to live and work in either England or Scotland. Only babies born in either place will become Citizens of either the non-Scotland UK or Scotland and face any restrictions. Also it may encourage the UK and Scotland to be part of the Schengen agreement, so there are no passport checks at the borders.
How would Scotland go about joining the EU?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

If both were on 3 year work permits then one could vote while the other could not is all Im saying.
Shit I lived years in England without a visa nor work permit but Angie told us that that would be ok because we are all a big loving EU family ;-)

To be honest I think it's wrong that Scottish abroad can't vote. Some might just be away for a few years or might return when they retire. That has nothing to do with not loving their country but sometimes just with providing for a family the best way one can. I think as long as one has the citizenship he should be allowed to take part in decisions regarding his country. I could vote in the German elections via letter vote.

Also no the Germans are not superior to any other country, we all know where that ill believing got us many years ago.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:41 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely Scots would face any restrictions whatsoever as all of them* up until the day of any supposed independence are British citizens. Those born afterwards would likely be treated the same or, at the very least, in the same manner as Irish citizens.

(*them...meaning the ones who already meet the citizenship rules)
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I shudder to think what Salmond's rush to independence will do to Scotland.

I really do not see how Scotland can go it alone without the oil,and gas rights which the English will never surrender.

I voted SNP since I was old enough,but I just cannot see a future for Scotland without those incomes,giving 16 and 17 year olds the right to vote is simple stupidity,on top of that the timing is way off with the current economic climate.

If I was still in the UK when the vote comes,I would vote NO to independence,but as I will be in Canada I won't be voting.In my youth I would have voted YES in an instant,but I think with my head now.

I also highly doubt that there will be a mass influx of Scots returning to vote either way on independence.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:55 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Wait...so you've voted for the SNP but you don't want independence...?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 6:01 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Unlikely Scots would face any restrictions whatsoever as all of them* up until the day of any supposed independence are British citizens. Those born afterwards would likely be treated the same or, at the very least, in the same manner as Irish citizens.

(*them...meaning the ones who already meet the citizenship rules)
What are they going to do with all the Mexicans?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:55 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
I shudder to think what Salmond's rush to independence will do to Scotland.

I really do not see how Scotland can go it alone without the oil,and gas rights which the English will never surrender.

I voted SNP since I was old enough,but I just cannot see a future for Scotland without those incomes,giving 16 and 17 year olds the right to vote is simple stupidity,on top of that the timing is way off with the current economic climate.

If I was still in the UK when the vote comes,I would vote NO to independence,but as I will be in Canada I won't be voting.In my youth I would have voted YES in an instant,but I think with my head now.

I also highly doubt that there will be a mass influx of Scots returning to vote either way on independence.

I agree that much depends on the oil & gas revenues. But it's not so much about surrender as sharing. The fact is that Scotland will be able to negotiate some share of those revenues, and if the share is high enough a case for independence can be made (and vice versa).

Elsewhere: All the talk of a Mexican's voting rights (in contrast to an EU resident's rights) is absolute nonsense.

If Scotland did vote YES, although it would be a massive administrative project to implement independence, but it could certainly be done. Look at the Czech Republic and Slovakia who are now two independent nations.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Wait...so you've voted for the SNP but you don't want independence...?
Yes,I just don't think that Scotland can survive alone especially the way the economy is atm!

If we had the oil & gas revenues,and Thatcher had not sold off the fishing rights around the coast of Scotland then yes,we may have been able to afford going it alone.

I would love an independent Scotland,but I feel the cost is too high.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Would the Mexican or German be allowed to vote in any other election held in Scotland while they were resident?
The German would as an EU citizen, EU citizens are allowed to vote in local and EU elections in any other EU country they are residents of. The Mexican, probably not unless he/she was able to get onto the electoral roll.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:19 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Strachan is employed by the UK Border Agency at Manchester Airport

Mr Strachan now has bigger things to worry about

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21941395