Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scottish family living in England.

Wikiposts

Scottish family living in England.

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scottish family living in England.

The Strachan family are your typical family husband, wife and 2 kids. They are currently living in England. Mr Strachan is employed by the UK Border Agency at Manchester Airport and his wife is employed by Manchester City council. Both of their children are attending school. They own a home and 2 x vehicles and all have valid passports that have 8 years left on them.
Mr Strachan intends to vote YES in the upcoming Scottish referendum vote.

Assuming the YES vote wins what happens next?
Does he get to keep his job with the UKBA or will he simply be transferred to the Scottish Border Agency and now be required to work at Prestwick Airport.
What about his wife?
Will they be required to get new driving licences and passports?
All of this assuming they want to move back to Scotland or will they simply say well Im glad Scotland got their Independence but **** it we are staying in England as we have jobs and a home.
If they stay in England will they now be required to apply for PR status or get work visas and study permits for their children?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:13 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish family living in England.

Mr Strachan won't get to vote unless he is living in Scotland when the vote takes place, so his future is in the hands of the residents of Scotland.

Given that I live on the border I am curious as to the answers to your questions. Will I have to show a passport when I am out walking in the local hills and country roads and will my OH be deported as he is English?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I see that you have to be a resident of Scotland to be eligible to vote.
So will we see a mass exodus of Scottish people from all over the world heading back to Scotland so they can vote and will they stay in Scotland if the YES vote wins?
Im assuming that all of those Scots who want independence will have no qualms in moving back and living there.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:35 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So will we see a mass exodus of Scottish people from all over the world heading back to Scotland so they can vote and will they stay in Scotland if the YES vote wins?
I very much doubt it.

Im assuming that all of those Scots who want independence will have no qualms in moving back and living there.
Are citizens of an independent country only allowed to live in that country? You'd be out of a job if that were the case.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I very much doubt it.

Are citizens of an independent country only allowed to live in that country? You'd be out of a job if that were the case.
I would guess the point he is trying to make is a typical Scottish family will at some point work in and around the UK, what happens to the future generations of Scottish people that would no longer have the option of moving to Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester for work? Admittidly though with the EU these Scottish folk would be allowed to reside in England anyway.

But what if the EU falls apart or changes this piece of legislation?

Can the Scottish truely remain independant?

Again I personally don't know the answers but there is a lot of issues that should be thought about and reported on before the vote takes place.

Last edited by ArthurBrit; Mar 22nd 2013 at 2:56 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I very much doubt it.

Not at all but I have dual citizenship. I have no problems with citizens of any country living here in Canada. What I do find somewhat intriguing is those citizens who move over here who then complain about Canada and how much better it was in their country. Sort of like the Scots who want independence but choose not to live in that country.
I accept that multi global companies have projects all over the world be it the Oil Sands etc but surely if they think their country is that great then why accept those positions? Surely it cant be for the money/promotions etc if they love their country that much.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:14 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The previous couple of times I was in the UK (Scotland) it was obvious many English people had moved to the north and opened B&Bs, small hotels and gift/souvenir shops. What happens to them if independence happens? Do they get to stay or will they be kicked out and told to immigrate properly?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:21 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I see that you have to be a resident of Scotland to be eligible to vote.
You mean the Sean Connery's of the world! Let's hope there are more Sir Alex Ferguson types that move back to vote than 007's If I were still living in Canada I wouldn't dream of moving back to vote, even although I feel very stongly about staying in the Union. I do feel for those Scots that work and pay taxes in the UK, but do not currently live in Scotland. Many people move to make a living not because they don't want to live in Scotland. I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to who can and cannot vote.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:24 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The vote seems fair to me. Anyone resident gets the vote - including non-scots.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:29 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't disagree that all residents get a vote, but if I were in a situation where I was temporarily away and didn't get a vote I would be upset. A line does need to be drawn, but I can understand why some may be upset at not being able to vote, including Sir Alex, although I wouldn't consider his a temporary gig.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:30 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The previous couple of times I was in the UK (Scotland) it was obvious many English people had moved to the north and opened B&Bs, small hotels and gift/souvenir shops. What happens to them if independence happens? Do they get to stay or will they be kicked out and told to immigrate properly?
As OH is English, I am still trying to decide if deportation of the English is a good thing or bad thing. Really depends on what day it is.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
But they don't. A Mexican citizen living in Scotland doesn't get to vote.

Under the terms of the 2010 Draft Bill, the following people would be entitled to vote in the referendum:[15]
British citizens resident in Scotland;
Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland;
citizens of other European Union countries resident in Scotland;
members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland;
Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the armed forces or with Her Majesty's Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:37 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Under the terms of the 2010 Draft Bill, the following people would be entitled to vote in the referendum:[15]
Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the armed forces or with Her Majesty's Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.
Is the Mexican just living there or does he have PR status?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Is the Mexican just living there or does he have PR status?
Does it matter according to the guidelines he doesnt get to vote regardless of PR status whereas a German citizen would even if they were not a PR.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone knew what I meant. No need to be facetious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.