Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scottish family living in England.

Wikiposts

Scottish family living in England.

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:52 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish family living in England.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not at all but I have dual citizenship. I have no problems with citizens of any country living here in Canada. What I do find somewhat intriguing is those citizens who move over here who then complain about Canada and how much better it was in their country. Sort of like the Scots who want independence but choose not to live in that country.
I accept that multi global companies have projects all over the world be it the Oil Sands etc but surely if they think their country is that great then why accept those positions? Surely it cant be for the money/promotions etc if they love their country that much.
If that's aimed at me, then it's a wasted shot I'm afraid. I don't give two hoots for nationality - any nationality. It doesn't bother me at all if people think I'm British, English, Scottish, it's just a silly tag. I'm just me.

I'm not one of these people who defines themselves by where they come from, or indeed, where they used to come from.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Everyone knew what I meant. No need to be facetious.
Not being facetious at all. How many people would be living in Scotland that would not be able to vote based on the regulations? I think its relevant that some can vote while others can't. Is the Mexican citizen deemed to be less important than the German citizen.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:57 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Not being facetious at all. How many people would be living in Scotland that would not be able to vote based on the regulations? I think its relevant that some can vote while others can't. Is the Mexican citizen deemed to be less important than the German citizen.
Would the Mexican or German be allowed to vote in any other election held in Scotland while they were resident?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you are. Given the context of this thread a reasonable person would have taken "resident" to mean anyone that would normally be able to vote in UK elections.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If that's aimed at me, then it's a wasted shot I'm afraid. I don't give two hoots for nationality - any nationality. It doesn't bother me at all if people think I'm British, English, Scottish, it's just a silly tag. I'm just me.

I'm not one of these people who defines themselves by where they come from, or indeed, where they used to come from.
Not aimed at you in the slightest. Im a bit like you in that I really dont care about waving the flag re my nationality. I live here now and any allegiance I might have is to Canada not the UK.
I dont have any ill feelings to the UK as I chose to live over here and took up citizenship by choice.
Sure I can take the piss out of the UK same as I do with other Provinces here in Canada its all banter.
I accept some of the Canada bashing that goes on here as its not a perfect country by any means but if anyone who feels that their country is superior then they are more than welcome to return. Canada can find other Immigrants to take their place who might appreciate the chance than the moaners.
Im certainly not bitter towards the Irish, Scottish, Welsh or any other Nationality. I just feel sorry for those who were not born and bred in Lancashire
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course you are. Given the context of this thread a reasonable person would have taken "resident" to mean anyone that would normally be able to vote in UK elections.
So please tell me why the German citizen residing in Scotland gets to vote but the Mexican citizen also residing in Scotland doesn't?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:19 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something here?

Once permanent residence (properly known as indefinite leave to remain) has been granted, there are no longer any immigration related restrictions on the work or business you may do in the UK, and no time limits on your stay in the UK.

You should note that to keep your permanent residence you should not spend longer than two years outside the UK. You should maintain ties to the UK and should consider the UK as your home. If you continue to only spend short periods of time in the UK over many years it is likely that there will come a time when you will lose your indefinite leave to remain in the UK. It is therefore beneficial in most cases to apply for UK citizenship. You can normally apply for naturalisation as an UK citizen one year after being granted indefinite leave to remain and as long as you meet the residence requirements.

And for interest

With a population of 5.1 million, Scotland only has 3,700 Mexican citizens in permanent residency
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:19 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

So please tell me why the German citizen residing in Scotland gets to vote but the Mexican citizen also residing in Scotland doesn't?
Because a reasonable person knows about the EU. I'm sorry if my comment was confusing to you, but it wasn't to anyone else.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Am I missing something here?

Once permanent residence (properly known as indefinite leave to remain) has been granted, there are no longer any immigration related restrictions on the work or business you may do in the UK, and no time limits on your stay in the UK.

You should note that to keep your permanent residence you should not spend longer than two years outside the UK. You should maintain ties to the UK and should consider the UK as your home. If you continue to only spend short periods of time in the UK over many years it is likely that there will come a time when you will lose your indefinite leave to remain in the UK. It is therefore beneficial in most cases to apply for UK citizenship. You can normally apply for naturalisation as an UK citizen one year after being granted indefinite leave to remain and as long as you meet the residence requirements.

And for interest

With a population of 5.1 million, Scotland only has 3,700 Mexican citizens in permanent residency
According to the voting regulations and it doesn't mention anything about PR status it appears that a Mexican citizen who is a resident of Scotland cannot vote in the referendum whereas a German citizen residing in Scotland can vote.
If both were on 3 year work permits then one could vote while the other could not is all Im saying.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:48 am

According to the voting regulations and it doesn't mention anything about PR status it appears that a Mexican citizen who is a resident of Scotland cannot vote in the referendum whereas a German citizen residing in Scotland can vote.
If both were on 3 year work permits then one could vote while the other could not is all Im saying.
Germans don't need work permits.

Stop trying to show off your knowledge of regs and accept that everyone in this thread is clear by what we mean by 'resident'. I'm sure Hawk13, jings etc are aware that this doesn't include mexicans on work permits.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:02 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Oh deary dear - Englands gain is Canada's loss
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Germans don't need work permits.

Stop trying to show off your knowledge of regs and accept that everyone in this thread is clear by what we mean by 'resident'. I'm sure Hawk13, jings etc are aware that this doesn't include mexicans on work permits.
If you say so. What would also be interesting is that these Germans, Poles, Swedish etc etc citizens who can vote in the referendum decided to all vote NO.
Would the Scots now be complaining and asking why these people got to vote?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:12 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

If you say so. What would also be interesting is that these Germans, Poles, Swedish etc etc citizens who can vote in the referendum decided to all vote NO.
Would the Scots now be complaining and asking why these people got to vote?
No, we'd give them a good swift kick in the arse instead
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:14 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The previous couple of times I was in the UK (Scotland) it was obvious many English people had moved to the north and opened B&Bs, small hotels and gift/souvenir shops. What happens to them if independence happens? Do they get to stay or will they be kicked out and told to immigrate properly?
and all the English who reside in Scotland due to the finance sector - plenty of those here - even in the small town of 8000 people (where I now live) there is a housing develoment dubbed "Little England" for obvious reasons.

What will be , will be and those who aren't happy will have to revisit their future plans I suppose. Personally, I will be voting NO - I can only hope people vote with their heads and not their hearts and let things which occurred many moons ago lie, and move on - alot of my goods friends are English, I have English family and I love to visit England - we are better as a Union, in my opinion. Just glad people like FL have moved to Canada, and that I left, being "one of those Brits who moaned about how better UK is than Canada"
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I always piss myself laughing whenever I see this classic moment from Trainspotting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LRuuqFT0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.