Satanists in prisons

Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Satanists in prisons

Originally Posted by MikeUK
For me right and wrong is almost always common sense, a set of basic rules for a cooperative society
a simple do what you’d like other to do to you too.. not too hard to get to is it..

and I struggle to see why given religions history in getting its rights and wrongs as it were at best warped & twisted or at worst wrong how it can think it even has a chance of holding any moral high ground on thinking it established any credibility in the rules department..
Originally Posted by iaink
Clearly everyone has their own idea of whats right and wrong. But those ideas dont necessarily match everyone elses.

Got nothing to do with religion and faith though, do you think that all 1+Billion catholics ALL thinks that the same things are right and wrong?

Sure there are some shared central tennets, but that not the be all and end all of what religion is about. Not everyone is sticking to the straight and narrow path for fear of a thunderbolt up the arse or a descent into Dantes fiery pits of hell. Its a bit of a simplistic view.

I suspect that most people, irrespective of their religous outlook and faith (or lack their-off) have largely similar ideas of what is right and wrong, at least as far as theft and violence and the like goes.
I haven't professed a like or dislike of religion so I am puzzled as to why the two of you keep referring to it.

I asked a simple question, what I have received in response is, IMO, waffle. Not to dissimilar to what those that stand up in frocks and preach to the masses state on such occasions.

My first few weeks as a Prison Officer really opened my eyes as to how people living in the same country and in the same town, could have such massively differing views as to what constituted right and wrong.

In response to the statement that "it's common sense", I would reply: "Which person's common sense?" The burglar that believes that burglary when the homeowners are not present is victimless because they will likely have insurance. Is this the common sense of which you speak, or is it the common sense of "All burglars should be locked up and fed bread and water for 10 years"?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:46 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't disagree with you. What I am asking is: Where can this moral code be found?
yes it can be found in religious texts, but that’s not proof in any way of its origin..

As its in all the religious texts and also all over the place in non religious texts , and given that it has a common thread occurring all over the world originating in separate societies that had no direct connections one can assume that the foundation was more likely to be the formation of society and human behavior , and this type of thing occurred long before any religions got established
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:47 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't professed a like or dislike of religion so I am puzzled as to why the two of you keep referring to it.
I think you have in the past?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Given that its a thread about the religous rights of prisoners, if it wasnt a post with regard to religion perhaps I should delete it, to keep things on track

Anyway, Im not going to play A-Cs games, maybe he could tell us what HE thinks for once, instead of trolling for other peoples opinions.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:58 pm
Part Time Poster

In response to the statement that "it's common sense", I would reply: "Which person's common sense?" The burglar that believes that burglary when the homeowners are not present is victimless because they will likely have insurance. Is this the common sense of which you speak, or is it the common sense of "All burglars should be locked up and fed bread and water for 10 years"?
Common sense IMHO and in the context I’m using it now refers to the common opinion at that time that society as a whole would consider to be the norm, a group consensus rather than an individual opinion..

and I consider it common sense to validate with others a borderline interpretation of right or wrong, or you can look it up in a legal text, failing that if it’s that grey hire a good lawyer, id never ever recommend consulting religious texts unless you issue is in Pakistan and then you can fairly assume commons sense isn’t being applied
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Should prisoners have the right to be supported in their worship?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:07 pm
Part Time Poster

Actualy I take that back what you said was

I, too, am a baptised and confirmed Roman Catholic and went to church schools in England. We were taught by Fathers and nuns.

I, too, turned my back on it as I saw it as being way too hypocritical. I also believe that those that have any form of faith, should be secure enough to be able to not take offence when non-believers question their beliefs.

Which isn't quite the same thing
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense IMHO and in the context I’m using it now refers to the common opinion at that time that society as a whole would consider to be the norm, a group consensus rather than an individual opinion..

and I consider it common sense to validate with others a borderline interpretation of right or wrong, or you can look it up in a legal text, failing that if it’s that grey hire a good lawyer, id never ever recommend consulting religious texts unless you issue is in Pakistan and then you can fairly assume commons sense isn’t being applied
Who is to gather and organise this group consensus then? Religions might argue that that has been their traditional role.

Also the majority of our laws are the result of various religious outlooks over the years too.

The problem with common sense is that so few people actually have it.

And if you set up some great egalitarian god free body to decide what is right and wrong, eventually someone will manage to manipulate their way into a position of power and usurp their authority to push their own private agenda, in much the same way the most of the world religions have been manipulated over the years.

Perhaps the only thing I do have faith in is mans ability to try and screw the other guy over.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Should prisoners have the right to be supported in their worship?
What about Rastafarians?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

define Pagan...........

Because in the current 20th century use of the word, virtually none of the so called pagan religions have any connection to the original Celtic and Nordic origins other than stealing the symbology
The only religions than might be linked back and could possibly be called pagan are one in Iceland and one in Latvia, neither are in use outside of their respective countries..

You can make it look old, but that doesn’t make it old

From my understanding all the so called pagan religions we see around today almost all have their roots in 18th to 19th century Romanticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_polytheism

Celtic polytheism, commonly known as Celtic Paganism, comprises the religious beliefs and practices adhered to by the Iron Age peoples of Western Europe now known as the Celts, roughly between 500 BCE and 500 CE, spanning the La Tène period and the Roman era, and in the case of the Insular Celts the British and Irish Iron Age.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_...onist_Paganism for more about current era Paganism. (I can't be bothered to quote it all)
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:20 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by iaink
And if you set up some great egalitarian god free body to decide what is right and wrong, eventually someone will manage to manipulate their way into a position of power and usurp their authority to push their own private agenda, in much the same way the most of the world religions have been manipulated over the years..
it’s the mob in the traditional roman meaning that holds the decision and hence why religion has always wanted sole governance of the mob,
It can’t do it by sharing the mob because then the mob is still in charge , and I believe this is part of the reason why most religions are intolerant of others..
Atheism is often seen as bad by religions because it implicitly hands the decision to the mob by allowing freedom to choose

Last edited by MikeUK; Sep 7th 2012 at 9:10 pm. Reason: freudian slip [i]mod is still in charge [/i]
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I consider pagan to mean religions not "of the book", a word describing what they are not, rather than what they are. I find it surprising that anyone self identifies as a Pagan, as it is really a negative view.

Though I think some use it as a catch all, because they are not really sure what they are.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

it’s the mob in the traditional roman meaning that holds the decision and hence why religion has always wanted sole governance of the mob,
It can’t do it by sharing the mob because then the mod is still in charge , and I believe this is part of the reason why most religions are intolerant of others..
Atheism is often seen as bad by religions because it implicitly hands the decision to the mob by allowing freedom to choose
Do you think "The mob" would have any consistency about what is right and wrong from one day to the next?

Personally I have my doubts, so there would have to be some sort of heirarchy and organisation, and once you go down that path you end up with people in a postion of power, and the abuses of power that come with that.

You talk of "religion" as if its something other that the actions of men, but whether there is a god or not, religion is a man made construct, and as such reflects the failings and weaknesses of humanity as well as the strengths.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:27 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by siouxie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_polytheism

Celtic polytheism, commonly known as Celtic Paganism, comprises the religious beliefs and practices adhered to by the Iron Age peoples of Western Europe now known as the Celts, roughly between 500 BCE and 500 CE, spanning the La Tène period and the Roman era, and in the case of the Insular Celts the British and Irish Iron Age.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_...onist_Paganism for more about current era Paganism. (I can't be bothered to quote it all)
Did you read the links you posted...

They show Celtic paganism dying out circa 500CE and the reconstrucitionist stuff being made up from what little was known in 1990.

Last edited by MikeUK; Sep 7th 2012 at 8:36 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The Christians who educated me were very forceful in their opinions that people who didn't believe in their God would be banished to the hellfire for all eternity.

What, I wonder, do Satanists threaten non-believers with? "If you don't believe in Lucifer, you're going to Heaven?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.