Revolted.

Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Revolted.

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Because of the spacing of the two protons in the orbits around the oxygen atom, lots of this has to do with the proximity and the filling of the electron orbits

Way beyond the understanding of engineers, but basic high school (‘o’ level) chemistry
Chemistry is all very well but it turns out the most important thing about water is to talk nicely to it. I know this because Gwyneth says so.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ater-bad-vibes
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:09 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
so why not Li2O, or Na2O and so on.
Number of pairs of electrons available to form "hydrogen bonds” just aren’t there..

Li only one electron in the p orbits hence LiH
Heavily dissociated outer electron gives preference to ionic bonds

Na has two electrons in the p orbits Na
Again dissociated outer electrons preference to ionic bonds

Remember its this 'lose' electron behavior that makes metals

As we move across the table to Boron, Carbon and Nitrogen where the electron in the orbits and nucleus structure shift the tendency to electron sharing rather than donation and we get the covalent bonding, as we move out to oxygen we get a shift toward polarization that gives rise to hydrogen bonds which is electron sharing with a bias, once we move to fluorine then we get back to an extreme where the electrons are pulled in to complete orbitals rather than donated as per the metals (oxegen will pull in electrons too)

As we get to the next layer on the periodic table we’re moved out an electron shell and bond behavior has shifted…

So you slept through, electrons bonding and the relationship of the periodic table…
I’m guessing you failed chemistry… or you’ve forgotten a lot……

Last edited by MikeUK; Jun 6th 2014 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

so why not Li2O, or Na2O and so on.
Oh, FFS. If you're going to rabbit on and on about the mystical, god inspired properties of water, do yourself a favour and read this first.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical...drogen_Bonding

or any other chemistry textbook.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, FFS. If you're going to rabbit on and on about the mystical, god inspired properties of water, do yourself a favour and read this first.

Novo... you know that stuff's way to complex for engineers....

I think he would have been better off if he'd tried to tout carbon's abilty to form long chains and polymers as mystical life forming chemistry...
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think "FFS" that you will find I never mentioned God as the inspiration for any of this. I was pointing out that the set of circumstances that leads to our existence has a vanishingly small probability, and that its far more wondrous (to me) that these came about via a set of rules we are figuring out. All of which if far more amazing (again, to me) than the idea that a supernatural being created us out of playdough and breathed life into, or whatever.

Given that we are all extraordinarily lucky to have made it, we should all be nice to each other. Some people seem to have a hard time with that last part around here.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 6th 2014 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My husband once got hoodwinked into going to a 'scientific' talk which turned out to be 'intelligent design'. These guys try to blind laymen with their great scientific knowledge and just look stupid.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I think "FFS" that you will find I never mentioned God as the inspiration for any of this. I was pointing out that the set of circumstances that leads to our existence has a vanishingly small probability, and that its far more wondrous (to me) that these came about via a set of rules we are figuring out. All of which if far more amazing (again, to me) than the idea that a supernatural being created us out of playdough and breathed life into, or whatever.

Given that we are all extraordinarily lucky to have made it, we should all be nice to each other. Some people seem to have a hard time with that last part around here.
But your "vanishingly small probability" is irrelevant given that is exactly what has happened.

Probability theory is a useful tool to help predict outcomes within a statistically significant sample pool. But when there is a sample of one (the Earth) and an event that has actually taken place (the existence of live) then the probability of that event is 1 - as in, absolutely certain.

And anyway, even if we're looking at it from the perspective of the whole universe and at the moment of the big bang, your vanishingly small probability begins to look a bit silly. Of all the approximately 7 x 10^22 star systems (or whatever the current estimate for total number of stars is) the probability that conditions have to be just so for life to form as it has on Earth only has to be one in 7 x 10^22 for your "vanishingly small probability" to come to pass. Is one in 70 sextillion small enough for you? We are that one.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jun 6th 2014 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 2:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sextillion ... snigger
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:21 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
But your "vanishingly small probability" is irrelevant given that is exactly what has happened.

Probability theory is a useful tool to help predict outcomes within a statistically significant sample pool. But when there is a sample of one (the Earth) and an event that has actually taken place (the existence of live) then the probability of that event is 1 - as in, absolutely certain.

And anyway, even if we're looking at it from the perspective of the whole universe and at the moment of the big bang, your vanishingly small probability begins to look a bit silly. Of all the approximately 7 x 10^22 star systems (or whatever the current estimate for total number of stars is) the probability that conditions have to be just so for life to form as it has on Earth only has to be one in 7 x 10^22 for your "vanishingly small probability" to come to pass. Is one in 70 sextillion small enough for you? We are that one.
No idea about the chemistry or math in this thread, but I think the emboldened bit is spot on!
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
No idea about the chemistry or math in this thread, but I think the emboldened bit is spot on!
Anyway, the vanishingly small probability stuff is a piece of nonsense. As calculated here http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habuniverse the number of habitable planets in the observable universe is conservatively estimated at 200 billion if we only consider sun-like stars but rises to 4 trillion if we include M-class dwarf stars.

We're nothing special.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

We're nothing special.
pfft.. speak for yourself.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:15 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
pfft.. speak for yourself.
While you're here, do you know how many of those other planets play football?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:22 pm

While you're here, do you know how many of those other planets play football?
My powers don't stretch to creating a planet that england would have a chance of winning the world cup on.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:24 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
My powers don't stretch to creating a planet that england would have a chance of winning the world cup on.
Well, I just thought maybe some of them would be really crap, only one foot, that sort of thing.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

He never answered me about gravity. Useless non intervening bastard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.