Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 4th 2021, 2:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I heard an interview with Peter Mansbridge in the middle of the night - a repeat of a Sunday morning show and he was talking about being recognised and how it was sometimes an advantage. He recounted an incident where he was stopped by a traffic cop and upon passing out his driving licence and insurance, the cop, in recognition of the name exclaimed "Peter Mansbridge!"

(thinks...I love this job)

"We were at such and such school in Ottawa together" says the cop.

PM looks up at him, doesn't recognise him but he did go to that school so says "Oh yeah!"

So for a couple of minutes the cop says something about remembering camp and they talk about various mutual acquaintances.

Then a pause and suspense as to whether he gets a ticket.

The cop says - "So what do you do now?"

I had to google him as I didn't have a clue who he was.. I don't watch CBC...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mansbridge

Perhaps he should have been working for the BBC - because he's a British Born Canadian (although he was born in Britain, his grandfather was Canadian)..

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 4th 2021 at 2:50 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Was looking through some old photos of me from 2012 when I lived in Ontario, amaxing how much aging I did in 9 years...I didn't have any grey in my hair or beard yet, now I am basically entirely gray on the beard and mostly grey or process of turning grey on the head and thinner by a good chunk, I am going to look my grandpa in 10 more years.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It really does take a talent to built model train layouts, some people do quite a good job.
N scale so smaller than HO and some of the larger scales.

G Scale is bigger and even found outside set ups.

Of course some people even go big and take it to the next level and build a railroad they can ride on.

This guy has a good one too.

And my favorite railroad of them all the Disneyland Railway and might be the best job in the entire theme park.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 5th 2021 at 7:48 am.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite rail track

and this a close second

Old Oct 5th 2021, 2:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Every child matters....the French version

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58801183

Old Oct 5th 2021, 5:03 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I had to google him as I didn't have a clue who he was.. I don't watch CBC...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mansbridge

Perhaps he should have been working for the BBC - because he's a British Born Canadian (although he was born in Britain, his grandfather was Canadian)..
In the eighties or nineties he was offered the job of nightly news anchor on one of the big US networks (CBS, ABC or NBC) but he declined iirc. It would have increased his fame and fortune but I think he said he wanted to stay in Canada and report on news here.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 5:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
In the eighties or nineties he was offered the job of nightly news anchor on one of the big US networks (CBS, ABC or NBC) but he declined iirc. It would have increased his fame and fortune but I think he said he wanted to stay in Canada and report on news here.
When he was starting out, he practiced his "news voice" by reading an engineering manual or some equally dry text and trying to make it sound like an important event.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well he is now 73 years of age but one thing many forget is who he was previously married to and currently married to and neither of these ladies would be considered as gold diggers. In other words he could pull good looking women for whatever reason.

Ex Wendy Mesley and current spouse Cynthia Dale.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Until this post I had never heard of him, but I never watch or listen to CBC news really, now I would recognize Lolyd Robertson, probably about the only Canadian news anchor I would recognize, can't tell you any of the others, but I have no idea who the anchors are on the US big 3 anymore either, I would only recognize Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather both retired now I think.

Brent Butt too, but actor of course I would recognize him, probably not a lot of famous Canadian's I would recognize if they didn't make it to the US news, TV or movies.

I heard an interview with Peter Mansbridge in the middle of the night - a repeat of a Sunday morning show and he was talking about being recognised and how it was sometimes an advantage. He recounted an incident where he was stopped by a traffic cop and upon passing out his driving licence and insurance, the cop, in recognition of the name exclaimed "Peter Mansbridge!"

(thinks...I love this job)

"We were at such and such school in Ottawa together" says the cop.

PM looks up at him, doesn't recognise him but he did go to that school so says "Oh yeah!"

So for a couple of minutes the cop says something about remembering camp and they talk about various mutual acquaintances.

Then a pause and suspense as to whether he gets a ticket.

The cop says - "So what do you do now?"

Old Oct 5th 2021, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
........ and Knowlton Nash, who was the chief correspondent and anchor for CBC back then, helped by telling PM that he would be stepping down "soon" to encourage him to stay in Canada. SO PM stayed, stepped in for KN for vacation relief, etc, then, as expected, KN retired and PM was almost immediately announced as the "new" anchor.

The evening news on CBC was THE news show back then, the anchors were well-known and greatly respected. People really believed them .......... much as one or two of the news anchors on US stations were respected back in the day. No "fake news" back then!

I had to google it .............. PM became the chief correspondent in 1988, retired in 2017.

As an aside .............. I met Knowlton Nash soon after he retired when he came to Vancouver to give a talk. OH was invited to an after-talk reception for KN and allowed to take along myself and our daughter.

He was a really charming person in the flesh, no "side" to him at all., he spent a little time talking to our mid-teenage daughter, treating her with respect for everything she said.

One thing both these guys were noted for was sitting through hours long broadcasts for Royal visits, election results, etc etc, and NEVER breaking off for a "pee" break
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Can never go wrong with Tom & Jerry they proviced me with lots of entertainment after school in the 80's along with scooby doo, flintstones and others.

My favourite rail track

and this a close second

Tom & Jerry Video Was Here, removed for being redundant as its available above
Old Oct 6th 2021, 5:31 am
Account Closed

This is a really sweet layout, so detailed and realistic.

The only roller coaster I like is train themed too...ha ha

Or maybe a leisurely sail down the Bayou.

I haven't been to Disneyland since 2010, may never go again, but at least youtube lets me experience the sounds.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 6th 2021 at 5:38 am.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Better with sound

Old Oct 6th 2021, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

I hope he wasn't hurt too badly, and good example of how one needs to ensure their decks are built properly and structurally sound.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I hope he wasn't hurt too badly, and good example of how one needs to ensure their decks are built properly and structurally sound.
Or to ensure that contractors do not stack things in such a way that a huge amount of weight is placed in an area it wasn't designed to be able to cope with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.