Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Sep 28th 2016, 5:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
In Ontario when one sells a car the plates are removed by seller. This prevents all manner of such things happening.
mean while, here in Ontario we still have the e-test (emission test) for vehicles. Mine is a 2002 with near on 300,000KM due to be tested early 2017

I have a 'check engine light' on. My mechanic tells me it needs a something or other sensor + module costing over $300 + labour.

With the new testing that is 'plug in the drive clean computer to my under the dash connector' the emissions testing drive clean folks computer scans & reports 'pass or fail'. If I have a check engine light on, I am told it WILL fail

Doing a scan of my in car computer, my mechanic resets it, tells me to drive the vehicle 100km then get it tested. That is what I did & it passed, good till 2019.

Sorted, I now have my 2017 plate sticker

I'm still driving the vehicle 5 days after the e-test & the check engine light has not reappeared.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 7:53 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Scan tools are $20 on eBay, easy to use and a must for most people who own a car in Ontario, as emissions are done thru the scan tool plug odb2

Mostly it's either the engine isn't warming up fast enough or the intake sensor gets grubby. Nothing to stress about and an easy re set, as N2O mech will testify to
Old Sep 28th 2016, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Random medical thought, even in this day and age of advanced medical treatments, our bodies can still stump doctors.

I assume if it hasn't killed me by now its not serious, but man does it make life a bit more complicated.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Scan tools are $20 on eBay, easy to use and a must for most people who own a car in Ontario, as emissions are done thru the scan tool plug odb2

Mostly it's either the engine isn't warming up fast enough or the intake sensor gets grubby. Nothing to stress about and an easy re set, as N2O mech will testify to
I got one of those Bluetooth ones that connects to an Android tablet (that I already owned) when my car had a persistent but intermittent fault. A free or v cheap app (Torque?) allowed me to check and reset the code. Turns out it was something to do with the complicated variable valve timing mechanism, caused by sludge in an oilway somewhere deep in the motor. A $20 oil flush cured it, which with the $15 cost of the OBDII reader was still a long way short of the nearly $200 the Honda shop had quoted just for running the diagnostic checks.

It's interesting, too, to see what else the thing can measure in real-time (when somebody else is driving, obvs...) - from oil pressure to intake air temperature to net fuel flow rate - and computed values such as fuel consumption or instantaneous g-force... pretty much anything the car measures and/or the tablet can sense. Apparently they're also useful on a track-day car, for overlaying acceleration/braking/gear-change and other diagnostic information onto a circuit map.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Power outage. Not good.

Corals not doing well. Hoping I don't lose the whole tank.

Car stuck in parkade as landlord won't pay anyone to come and manually open it.

Wife had to take taxi to work.

Luckily can get wifi from Safeway on the patio.

Seems a substation blew and it's a huge outage.

Fire lights in hallway only have 30 min battery power so now the hallway is pitch black, can't see a thing, had to feel the walls to lead to the exit door.

Anyone know how long freezer and fridge stuff will safely last without power if kept closed?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:40 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Power outage. Not good.

Corals not doing well. Hoping I don't lose the whole tank.

Car stuck in parkade as landlord won't pay anyone to come and manually open it.

Wife had to take taxi to work.

Luckily can get wifi from Safeway on the patio.

Seems a substation blew and it's a huge outage.

Fire lights in hallway only have 30 min battery power so now the hallway is pitch black, can't see a thing, had to feel the walls to lead to the exit door.

Anyone know how long freezer and fridge stuff will safely last without power if kept closed?
Major transmission problem-affecting Abbotsford Chilliwack and Hope-apparently they have technicians on scene but no update as to when your power might come on again. Just keep the fridge/freezes shot and you should be good for a good number of hours
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

do not open, should be good for several hours

Power should be restored within 24 hours

Get to the corner store, gas station or Safeway 4 hrs after blackout to purchase two or three bags of ice, place inside freezer & fridge, this should keep items cold without spoilage

Place towels in the bottom of the fridge as well as freezer space to soak up the melting ice

Get to a coffee shop (McD's) & keep calm

Good luck to you
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

They seem to be aiming for a 4p power return according to the phone center but subject to change.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Major transmission problem-affecting Abbotsford Chilliwack and Hope-apparently they have technicians on scene but no update as to when your power might come on again. Just keep the fridge/freezes shot and you should be good for a good number of hours
Old Sep 28th 2016, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Power is back on. Fridge stuff I checked with the thermometer still in the 38-40F range so still fine, freezer still cold at -10.

I am not sure the deign of these buildings with under ground parking is wise, or if our building is just messed up. First time living in a building with under ground parking.

There is no way to access the garage without using the elevator which of course doesn't work with no power.

There are doors to exit the garage to the street, but there is no way to access the garage from the street level.

So essentially in a power outage there is no way to access your car.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 28th 2016 at 11:20 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Random medical thought, even in this day and age of advanced medical treatments, our bodies can still stump doctors.

I assume if it hasn't killed me by now its not serious, but man does it make life a bit more complicated.
You can see the blemishes on the outside of your body but very often you have absolutely no idea what's going on inside. Many heart or cancer patients have discovered this, much to their chagrin.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Never knew about this - wish I had heard of it 15 years ago when I was fit! Now this would have been quite some adventure to do..

https://thegreattrail.ca/

"Travel The Great Trail Your Way

Whether you are looking for a place to hike, cycle, paddle, ride, cross-country ski or snowmobile, you can find an experience that resonates with you. As the longest recreational trail in the world, The Great Trail offers a wide range of activities through a variety of landscapes – urban, rural and wilderness, along greenways, waterways and roadways.

True to its name, The Great Trail embodies the vastness of our terrain and the diversity of our people."

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 29th 2016 at 6:11 am.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:28 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely but impractical advice. Where the hell does one buy dry ice? In the middle of a power cut??
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Lovely but impractical advice. Where the hell does one buy dry ice? In the middle of a power cut??
Perhaps wet ice will do the trick?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Never knew about this"
I'd never heard of it as "The Great Trail", but as The Trans Canada Trail it's really old news. I don't like the way names are changed for no purpose other than to create confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.