Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 19th 2019, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Danny B
Shit, that's annoying. Why didn't you call a taxi?
Didn't have enough money. Its $40-$45 for a taxi from East Vancouver to Richmond.

Old Mar 19th 2019, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Shit, that's annoying. Why didn't you call a taxi?
Didn't have enough money. It is what it is, not the end of the world.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:37 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Didn't have enough money. It is what it is, not the end of the world.
That's too bad. What happened to everyone else who couldn't get their vehicles out of the garage? Will they be compensated or is it just tough luck? I'd be furious if I missed a job interview because a garage door didn't open. I hope they reschedule it for you.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

That's too bad. What happened to everyone else who couldn't get their vehicles out of the garage? Will they be compensated or is it just tough luck? I'd be furious if I missed a job interview because a garage door didn't open. I hope they reschedule it for you.
Basically tough luck according to the strata, last time it happened someone complained on the strata's facebook page, and one of the strata members replied back telling everyone who needed their car to walk to work or ride a bike and save the planet, they don't care. lol

We rent so have no say in the strata but if I owned a unit, this strata would tick me off so much, probably best I never own a condo lol
Old Mar 19th 2019, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think Condo fees and strata fees and utility fees depend on where the property is and who it's owned by! No two are necessarily the same..

Correct. My condo fees include water, garbage pick up, snow removal, landscaping if required as very little or no grass to cut. Have you ever seen what elevators cost to maintain? Many new build condos now have the owners maintain their own hot water tanks.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 5:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Correct. My condo fees include water, garbage pick up, snow removal, landscaping if required as very little or no grass to cut. Have you ever seen what elevators cost to maintain? Many new build condos now have the owners maintain their own hot water tanks.

Funnily enough I once worked as a manager for a small company who installed / replaced / repaired OTIS lifts in the UK. The owners both drove Porsche's and offered me one to go back and work with them after I moved away, lol. So yes, I know how much they can cost... it's a profitable industry
Old Mar 20th 2019, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Funnily enough I once worked as a manager for a small company who installed / replaced / repaired OTIS lifts in the UK. The owners both drove Porsche's and offered me one to go back and work with them after I moved away, lol. So yes, I know how much they can cost... it's a profitable industry
Good money in BC for the workers in BC who fix elevators, very hard industry to get into, closed union so basically need to know someone in the union to get into the industry.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 20th 2019 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

One thing I wish I had done more of when I had flight benefits, travelling more of the world and not just around the US/Mexico.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Provided I get a score of 24/40 on the English test next month, I might be able to get some job training in the fall for a better job, all hinges on the English test. If I don't get a 24/40 back to the drawing board.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Provided I get a score of 24/40 on the English test next month, I might be able to get some job training in the fall for a better job, all hinges on the English test. If I don't get a 24/40 back to the drawing board.
Are there any sample tests available to see how you do before you take the test.

Best of luck
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Are there any sample tests available to see how you do before you take the test.

Best of luck
I found some free samples, the samples are tricky, on some I didn't even spot the errors, so yeah seems like a tricky test and English as a subject has never been my strong suit, but I'll do the best I can and see what happens.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to condos ............... it is also important to remember that there might suddenly be an added assessment to cover an unexpectedly large repair that will be very expensive.

Many condo buildings in Vancouver and some other areas of Metro were bui8lt under new building regulations back in the late 80s and 90s ...... regulations that were based on a code from California (!!!) that said there would be no overhang of the roof. It turned out that is not the way to build in what is essentially a rain forest!

For years, one saw condos all over the place surrounded by blue wrapping as the rotted outside layers had to removed, repairs done, and new cladding put on. It also happened to highrises built of concrete, as well as low rise wooden buildings.

New assessments were sent to each owner within the condo, often in 6 figures, $200,00 or $300,000 was not unusual.

We have one friend who was lucky enough not to have bought into one of those building, but then a new roof was needed, her assessment was around $50,000, and she had to continue working until she was 68 so she could attempt to bring her savings (= her pension) back to what they had been before that. Now they have been faced with having to have a ramp put in at the front door to accommodate a wheelchair user (who bought into the building before falling and breaking her hip) ......... city bylaws keep changing, but one estimate was for almost $100,000 with everything that they said had to be done.

Condo stratas all have a slush fund derived from the monthly payments, but not that large ........... so our friend is facing the possibility of another assessment to cover the cost.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 3:36 am
Account Closed

That happened to my wife's mom, special assessment on a condo she owned, luckily it was not her residence and a unit she rented it out so she didn't end up without a home, she sold it to an investor for cheap who was able to pay the special assessment. It wasn't 6 figures but 70,000 is no small amount.

Originally Posted by scilly
Going back to condos ............... it is also important to remember that there might suddenly be an added assessment to cover an unexpectedly large repair that will be very expensive.

Many condo buildings in Vancouver and some other areas of Metro were bui8lt under new building regulations back in the late 80s and 90s ...... regulations that were based on a code from California (!!!) that said there would be no overhang of the roof. It turned out that is not the way to build in what is essentially a rain forest!

For years, one saw condos all over the place surrounded by blue wrapping as the rotted outside layers had to removed, repairs done, and new cladding put on. It also happened to highrises built of concrete, as well as low rise wooden buildings.

New assessments were sent to each owner within the condo, often in 6 figures, $200,00 or $300,000 was not unusual.

We have one friend who was lucky enough not to have bought into one of those building, but then a new roof was needed, her assessment was around $50,000, and she had to continue working until she was 68 so she could attempt to bring her savings (= her pension) back to what they had been before that. Now they have been faced with having to have a ramp put in at the front door to accommodate a wheelchair user (who bought into the building before falling and breaking her hip) ......... city bylaws keep changing, but one estimate was for almost $100,000 with everything that they said had to be done.

Condo stratas all have a slush fund derived from the monthly payments, but not that large ........... so our friend is facing the possibility of another assessment to cover the cost.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I found some free samples, the samples are tricky, on some I didn't even spot the errors, so yeah seems like a tricky test and English as a subject has never been my strong suit, but I'll do the best I can and see what happens.
Good attitude. Your written english is quite good on this forum.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

I wish Mcdonalds in Canada has the breakfast biscuit sandwiches the US ones have. For a fast food breakfast sandwich they are pretty good. Have never been able to find anything comparable in Vancouver/BC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.