Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 9th 2019, 10:03 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, it's tidal. There's a bore and some people travel from afar to surf on it. Honestly, though, it's barely a ripple compared to the Severn bore.

But it really is very brown. Not known as the chocolate river for nothing.
The Severn bore is really impressive. I'm not talking MPs here.

Your brown river reminds me of the Yarra in Melbourne, sometimes called the 'upside down' river due to suspended clay particles contained therein.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Inmate writes rave review of prison:
https://www.oliverchronicle.com/letter-inmate-writes-rave-review-of-prison/
Old Jan 11th 2019, 2:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see a star rating.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hope so too.
And as Bevs did hope, so it did come to pass....
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1P50QF
Saudi teen to depart Thailand for Canada asylum: Thai immigration chief
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
Good news.
Well done Canada.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 11:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm glad she wasn't forced to return to Saudi. I do wonder though why it was deemed necessary to reveal the country that granted her asylum. Won't that just make it easier for her family to find her? In the same vein, publishing her flight details was totally unnecessary. I hope she makes a good life for herself and doesn't face any reprisals for renouncing Islam.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 11:48 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm glad she wasn't forced to return to Saudi. I do wonder though why it was deemed necessary to reveal the country that granted her asylum. Won't that just make it easier for her family to find her? In the same vein, publishing her flight details was totally unnecessary. I hope she makes a good life for herself and doesn't face any reprisals for renouncing Islam.
The bloody media again. Once they have their teeth into a story, they won't drop it.

Hopefully she'll be given a new identity, and her family members will be put on some kind of watchlist.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 12:08 am
Stand-up Philosopher

The more eyes the better until she is safe.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 1:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Meanwhile, just across the road....
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...d-039962708469
Old Jan 12th 2019, 4:28 pm
Gloves off

From my local English language news provider (VRT):

EU makes Belgium bigger!
The European Union has insisted on changes to the way that Belgium calculates its size. In future our golden beaches too will be included in Belgium’s size in calculations that will include the area that is above water at low tide. Belgium is now 160 square kilometres bigger than it was only two years ago.

Old Jan 12th 2019, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
From my local English language news provider (VRT):

Wouldn't it make sense to calculate at it at the point midway between high tide and low tide.

Is all of Baarle Hertog included?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle...-Hertog-en.svg
Old Jan 12th 2019, 6:44 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Wouldn't it make sense to calculate at it at the point midway between high tide and low tide.
Makes perfect sense to me, but that's the EU for you.

Doubtless it would take years of debate to decide what was the true midway tidal point.

Is all of Baarle Hertog included?
Being beach-free, I would think so. We were travelling through there about 18 months ago, OH put on her best SatNav accent and said "You are now entering Belgium" "You are now entering the Netherlands" "You are now entering Belgium" "You are now entering the Netherlands". I thought that she was just in dire need of a beer, but then she explained the enclave thing.

We found a café, bought beers in one country, stepped across the street with glass in hand and supped in the other, just for the hell of it.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Makes perfect sense to me, but that's the EU for you.

Doubtless it would take years of debate to decide what was the true midway tidal point.

Being beach-free, I would think so. We were travelling through there about 18 months ago, OH put on her best SatNav accent and said "You are now entering Belgium" "You are now entering the Netherlands" "You are now entering Belgium" "You are now entering the Netherlands". I thought that she was just in dire need of a beer, but then she explained the enclave thing.

We found a café, bought beers in one country, stepped across the street with glass in hand and supped in the other, just for the hell of it.
Interesting place. The border isn't even just a standard line in the town..there are places with 2 or 3 houses in one country surrounded by another, houses split in half. Schooling, municipal services, postal services, municipal infratructure and its maintenance, policing etc must be complicated.

I had the standard photo taken with a foot in each country. I've done the same in a building half in Vermont and half in Quebec.

If the Donald were to know about this place, his head would explode.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 8:25 pm
Gloves off

Interesting place. The border isn't even just a standard line in the town..there are places with 2 or 3 houses in one country surrounded by another, houses split in half. Schooling, municipal services, postal services, municipal infratructure and its maintenance, policing etc must be complicated.

I had the standard photo taken with a foot in each country. I've done the same in a building half in Vermont and half in Quebec.

If the Donald were to know about this place, his head would explode.
Interesting indeed. I just had a more detailed look at a couple of enclaves, but stopped when I hit - disremember the number, H17 maybe - "farmland with two cowsheds and a pond, no dwellings". No idea how administration works there, I'll have a poke around.

One of my favourite photos is of OH and eldest SD kissing, one standing in pre-unified East Germany, the other standing in the west.

The less the Donald knows about Yuurp, the better.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool picture.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...advice_to_get/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.