Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think all diesels turn themselves off and on again, I had a Vauxhall Something Ludicrous diesel last time I was here that did that. I don't care for diesels, all that clanking and smelling. Today I saw an Audi A4 convertible, a nice enough car, but it was a diesel and rattled like an old Transit.

The Qashqai has location sensing, which is useless in England, you're always too close to something so it bings incessantly. Still, good for hauling the ancient.
The location sensing thing helped in u/g parking garages in Nice which are very tight.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The location sensing thing helped in u/g parking garages in Nice which are very tight.
The ramp to the pier parking at Hastings is just an inch wider than the Qashqai mirrors on each side, the van shrieked all the way in and out. The one I had was a petrol version, again with the six speed, it had a 140mph speedo but struggled at anything over 100. It didn't seem to have any engine braking which required a style adjustment as I usually decelerate to the sound of the exhaust popping. Still, take out the electrical bits and it's a competent enough vehicle if you need that sort of thing.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This, however, was the business. No seatbelts, umbrella gear change, dog leg first, it felt fast at forty.
Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-dsc_0680.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Amongst the capricious and absurd nature of existence there are some small exquisite squeaks of delight that soften the dull aching nausea. A plate of slightly warm mini sausage rolls when there isn't even a party is one such situation.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
... A plate of slightly warm mini sausage rolls when there isn't even a party is one such situation.
We did that a couple of weeks ago. I sourced some Assam tea (amazon) and we had tinned red salmon sandwiches, sausage rolls and a cuppa
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:24 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
we had tinned red salmon sandwiches
One hopes that the young gentleman instructed the maid to remove the crusts...
Old Oct 1st 2017, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

This, however, was the business. No seatbelts, umbrella gear change, dog leg first, it felt fast at forty.
My brother had one of those many years ago. I learnt to drive on a deux chevaux which is the same chassis and engine etc. still remember the funny gear stick. Lol
Old Oct 1st 2017, 3:01 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It's official TFC are the best team in MLS, better than the Limpacts, and the Shite Caps (took long enough FFS)

GO TFC !! Supporters Shield Winners 2017
Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-img_1285.jpg  
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I hate recliner seats on planes.

Flew to Cuba last week. Guy in front of me decided to recline his seat. I have a 36" inside leg. So my knees are digging in to his back. I was a little childish I suppose and kept moving to make it more uncomfortable for him. He eventually turned around and asked that I stop. I told him there was no room for my legs and asked that he put his seat back up. To which he replied that he had rights!!!! Seriously!?!?! My comment was that I too had rights not to lose my legs as he was effectively cutting off the circulation!!
He didn't care! So I asked the attendant if perhaps she could ask him kindly to put his seat up! She wouldn't and would only offer to move me to the other end of the plane!!!
What is wrong with people? Does nobody have any empathy anymore???
He was a jumped up, short man syndrome kind of person, who obviously was brought up to believe that only one person was important: HIM! I blame his parents!!!

Guess who was sitting behind him on our way back?!?! My 6'3" son!!!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
...I have a 36" inside leg...
How much is the other?
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

How much is the other?
Roughly 91.5 cm
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Roughly 91.5 cm
Ah yes, I forgot you were bilingual.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

I came back through YYZ on Saturday. As always, it was chaos. The sign says baggage on carousel 8, then it says 11, then it says 8, everyone charges back and forth grumpily. Carousel 8 says it also has luggage from Dublin but the tannoy says "for the information of passengers from Dublin, we don't know where your luggage is. We will advise if the situation changes. Please stand back from the carousel.". I think I'd be disappointed if one day the airport worked as if the staff had visited another airport once in their lives.

I chuckled at the deployment of technology. The customs people have always had this stupid system requiring carrying pieces of cardboard about. Passengers with luggage have no free hands so they bury it in the luggage or hold it in their mouths. If they do the former they get trampled by the rest of the queue when they try to find it on unexpected demand. Former Lancastrian has previously advised that the border officers don't like the contact with passenger spit inevitable in this arrangement. Well, Canada Customs, or whatever they're called, have changed the arrangement and actually made it worse!

Now one fills in the cardboard declaration and then approaches a machine that ask the same questions one just answered. It prints a flimsy piece of paper, like a receipt from a parking meter. The border official stands next to a big dustbin, one hands over both pieces of documentation and the officer throws the cardboard away. There are then the couple of hours in the baggage hall (still no bar in there despite a captive market). Lacking anything to do, people scrunch up their receipt thingies and throw them away or shove them in some dark corner of the luggage. Eventually the bags arrive and people try to leave only to find that there's some dork standing by the door who wants that sliver of till roll.

It's like an airport system designed by Mennonites, rich farmers who can buy a $200,000 tractor, but who are bound by theology to drive open station so they take delivery and kick the windows out.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 2nd 2017 at 12:02 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I came back through YYZ on Saturday. As always, it was chaos. The sign says baggage on carousel 8, then it says 11, then it says 8, everyone charges back and forth grumpily. Carousel 8 says it also has luggage from Dublin but the tannoy says "for the information of passengers from Dublin, we don't know where your luggage is. We will advise if the situation changes. Please stand back from the carousel.". I think I'd be disappointed if one day the airport worked as if the staff had visited another airport once in their lives.

I chuckled at the deployment of technology. The customs people have always had this stupid system requiring carrying pieces of cardboard about. Passengers with luggage have no free hands so they bury it in the luggage or hold it in their mouths. If they do the former they get trampled by the rest of the queue when they try to find it on unexpected demand. Former Lancastrian has previously advised that the border officers don't like the contact with passenger spit inevitable in this arrangement. Well, Canada Customs, or whatever they're called, have changed the arrangement and actually made it worse!

Now one fills in the cardboard declaration and then approaches a machine that ask the same questions one just answered. It prints a flimsy piece of paper, like a receipt from a parking meter. The border official stands next to a big dustbin, one hands over both pieces of documentation and the officer throws the cardboard away. There are then the couple of hours in the baggage hall (still no bar in there despite a captive market). Lacking anything to do, people scrunch up their receipt thingies and throw them away or shove them in some dark corner of the luggage. Eventually the bags arrive and people try to leave only to find that there's some dork standing by the door who wants that sliver of till roll.

It's like an airport system designed by Mennonites, rich farmers who can buy a $200,000 tractor, but who are bound by theology to drive open station so they take delivery and kick the windows out.
We experienced those funny machines yesterday for the first time... then it wouldn't read 12 year old sons passport so we had to go to an immigration officer anyway... she was really nice and smiley for some reason... We only took carry on so raced past the baggage hall.... feeling smug!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah yes, I forgot you were bilingual.
Oh, sorry... quatre vingt onze point cinq...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.