British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   PR's don't want to pledge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/prs-dont-want-pledge-802690/)

Souvy Jul 12th 2013 4:25 pm

Re: PR's don't want to pledge

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10796813)
Their objections seem rather feeble. One's tenuously connected to Ireland, one claims religion, one thinks it's "a bit much". A dreary bunch, offer them Ecuadorian passports instead.

You've started reading the Daily Mail; I can sense it.

Former Lancastrian Jul 12th 2013 4:36 pm

Its almost as bad as the argument of Im a Permanent Resident why are you deporting me I have been in Canada for X amount of time.
Well to put your mind at ease had you not have committed a serious criminal offence or received over 6 months imprisonment in Canada for a less serious offence and had taken out citizenship then CBSA wouldnt be shipping your ass back to where you came from.
If you want a Canadian passport then pledge allegiance.
If you dont want to be deported then take out Canadian citizenship.

dbd33 Jul 12th 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10797006)
You've started reading the Daily Mail; I can sense it.

I sometimes look at the Sidebar of Shame, looking for Death Pool candidates, yes. Were I a reader of the rest of the paper I would surely have written something more like:

Shock As Feckless Terrorist Immigrants Snub Our Dear Queen

before advocating that they be packed off in chains to some empty colony, Canada, or similar.

Siouxie Jul 12th 2013 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10797039)
I sometimes look at the Sidebar of Shame, looking for Death Pool candidates, yes. Were I a reader of the rest of the paper I would surely have written something more like:

before advocating that they be packed off in chains to some empty colony, Canada, or similar.

:hysterical:

Jingsamichty Jul 12th 2013 4:46 pm

I think it would be "Fury"... the DM does like a "Fury" headline.

"Fury as Irish Republicans and Muslims fight to scrap Canada's Loyal Oath to HM"

Mikeypm Jul 12th 2013 5:01 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tangram Jul 12th 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10796787)
3 would be citizens are in court today saying that pledging alegence to the queen is discrimination, against their beliefs.

Ohh dear !!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=8647780

"Welcome to Canada, what can we change for you"

For me... they are the requirements. If you don't like them, go somewhere else.

Can you imagine doing that in the US and saying " actually, I'd rather not pledge allegiance to the flag if it's all the same to you " ?

magnumpi Jul 12th 2013 5:29 pm

I hope they slap these three with the bill for bringing this to a court. And counter sue them for wasting the courts time.

dbd33 Jul 12th 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10797155)
I hope they slap these three with the bill for bringing this to a court. And counter sue them for wasting the courts time.

I can't imagine the three much care, this must be more about the lawyer being bored with chasing ambulances or defending the mafia.

Former Lancastrian Jul 12th 2013 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10797155)

Yeah like thats gonna happen :lol:
Hopefully the 3 have not received legal aid or funding from other sources and have had to pay out of their own pockets. I guess if the Superior court rules against them they may then if eligible take it to the Federal Court of Canada or the Supreme Court of Canada on appeal costing taxpayers more money as the Govts lawyers will have to be paid. Eventually they will run out of appeals or money.

ExKiwilass Jul 12th 2013 5:59 pm

Maybe they should start working for Canada to become a Republic. I'm a very reluctant monarchist myself; it doesn't sit right with me to have heriditary inbreds in charge just cos they inherited the right by marrying each other.

Former Lancastrian Jul 12th 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10797212)
Maybe they should start working for Canada to become a Republic. I'm a very reluctant monarchist myself; it doesn't sit right with me to have heriditary inbreds in charge just cos they inherited the right by marrying each other.

I think the odd one or two in Quebec have tried something similar though they wanted to separate from Canada. I dont think they were going to call it the Republic of Quebec though.
Maybe we should have a referendum or vote on it it would only cost a couple of dollars. You could pick up a ballot at any Tim Hortons ensuring they capture most Canadians.

Almost Canadian Jul 12th 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10797212)

In what way are they in charge? They are less in charge than you are.

scribe123 Jul 12th 2013 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10796883)
That is so annoying that the wait for Citizenship is so long then you hear about this. Like "susprise" you goto take an oath at the end !!!!! We all know this so think before you file.

Presumably scribe 123 won't be applying anytime soon

If I want citizenship in Canada and was eeligible then I'd have to do it, but that part of the oath would be a somewhat........ Empty pledge.

It'sfunny from a point of view as I used to be quite the royalist, but then I had children and decided to be against anyone holding a position the my children couldn't attain through hard work and dedication.

scribe123 Jul 12th 2013 8:01 pm

And before people start to say she's just a figurehead, in the UK she has an incredible amount of power (not sure about canada). Now if she exercised that power to the full extent I'm sure there would be a revolution, but none the less, she has a lot of power.