Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Processed cheese - what's innit!

Processed cheese - what's innit!

Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processed cheese - what's innit!

Originally Posted by bats
I do like a Laughing Cow cheese triangle though.
Makes a nice change but makes other cheese look cheap.

Originally Posted by Shard
Much better than that Dairylea rubbish.
There's a difference?
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

There's a difference?
It's subtle, but yes there is.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 12:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The laughing cow gruyere is the mutt's nuts for making French onion soup but so pricey I don't buy it often and good sales are rare. I bought it for $1in a Dollar Store in Florida and it would be about $5 here. FL let me bring it back.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:09 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I checked out the cheese selection in Costco last night and was rather underwhelmed. I found the Snowdonia but couldn't bring myself to invest $11 in 400g of cheddar, although that's roughly the same rate as the coastal I guess.

I was also peeved that they didn't have the large jars of anchovies that I'd actually gone in for.

I did come out with a 1kg salami stick for $15 though, so the trip in wasn't wasted. They had a better salami stick selection for $20 but until I got to the cash register I had no idea they took mastercard! I thought it was cash, Amex or Costco CC only.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I checked out the cheese selection in Costco last night and was rather underwhelmed. I found the Snowdonia but couldn't bring myself to invest $11 in 400g of cheddar, although that's roughly the same rate as the coastal I guess.
At Costco, that's generally the going rate for the better cheddars. It's way more in any of the grocery stores, so I just suck it up and go with it.

I was also peeved that they didn't have the large jars of anchovies that I'd actually gone in for.
BOOO! That's not fun. I am going to be going in this week, my Costco usually has it, if they do, do you want me to grab you a jar? I can bring it on Friday.

I did come out with a 1kg salami stick for $15 though, so the trip in wasn't wasted. They had a better salami stick selection for $20 but until I got to the cash register I had no idea they took mastercard! I thought it was cash, Amex or Costco CC only.
Costco severed their relationship with Amex around September last year. They started accepting MC pretty much right after that, and continued to accept Amex until 31 December. As of 1 January it's been cash, MC, Debit, or Costco CC. If you had a Costco Amex CC then you can't use that anymore; the new Costco MC CC is issued by Capital One. Capital One Platinum MasterCard exclusively for Costco Members - Apply | Capital One Canada and http://www.costco.ca/capital-one-pla...astercard.html.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 1:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

There's a difference?
Costco is the only place to buy it. Larger packs too
Old Jan 27th 2015, 3:54 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah if you can schnook- that would be awesome. Doesn't it need to be refrigerated though- I recall it was in the open fridge when I bought the last one. Guess it should survive one evening.

The Costco I use is at warden & ellesmere in case we're doubling up. And it's the little jar that's a fiver.

The 1kg one I got is OK but nothing special. The three for $20 looked much better, wish I'd known they would take MC!
Old Jan 27th 2015, 4:02 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Yeah if you can schnook- that would be awesome. Doesn't it need to be refrigerated though- I recall it was in the open fridge when I bought the last one. Guess it should survive one evening.

The Costco I use is at warden & ellesmere in case we're doubling up. And it's the little jar that's a fiver.

The 1kg one I got is OK but nothing special. The three for $20 looked much better, wish I'd known they would take MC!
Pretty sure I know it as I've bought it before! I go to the one at Dundas and Winston Churchill. It's unopened so one evening won't kill them!
Old Jan 27th 2015, 5:25 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
It's unopened so one evening won't kill them!
My thinking exactly! I mean, they don't keep the canned ones in a freezer do they!