Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Processed cheese - what's innit!

Processed cheese - what's innit!

Old Jan 26th 2015, 3:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processed cheese - what's innit!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
When you're grating/shredding cheese, there comes a point at which the last bit just breaks off rather than gets shredded. With the 'wafer' thin slabs that point is reached earlier than with a good chunk and less gets nicely shredded.

Unless you use one of those rotary things, which are lovely to use but a bugger to clean
http://images.zesco.com/pimages/789/789-d-004-1-400.jpg
We have one of those, it just goes straight in the dishwasher in 3 pieces. Easy peasy!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
We have one of those, it just goes straight in the dishwasher in 3 pieces. Easy peasy!
Blimey, what's in your dishwasher, acid? It cleans all those tiny holes after the cheese has hardened a bit before the wash?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:16 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, what's in your dishwasher, acid? It cleans all those tiny holes after the cheese has hardened a bit before the wash?
*shrug*

Maybe it's just the grater we have, or our dishwasher is amazing, or I don't know, but it's always come clean just fine when we've chucked it in there!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 5:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Costco actually currently is carrying Snowdonia Cheddar Black Bomber - Snowdonia Cheese Company
Not in Vancouver Costco I'm afraid.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 5:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Boooo!!! Even the one here doesn't have it consistently, they've had it on and off over the past year. (Kind of like the Coastal Cheddar, actually.) Keep an eye out for it!!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I hate the slabs of cheese, why on earth did they think that was a good idea? Near impossible to shred as well.

I am not picky for the most part, as long as it's mild, the strong cheeses don't taste good to me, so I generally buy an actual block of the local grocery store brand which is pretty decent in my view.

If I cross the border, I grab 1 or 2 tillamook blocks.

Costco in Washington state usually have 2.5 or 5 pound blocks.

Medium Cheddar
M
Haven't found a typical normal brand in Canada that is similar.
Use a veggie peeler for very thin slices.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When you're grating/shredding cheese, there comes a point at which the last bit just breaks off rather than gets shredded. With the 'wafer' thin slabs that point is reached earlier than with a good chunk and less gets nicely shredded.

Unless you use one of those rotary things, which are lovely to use but a bugger to clean
http://images.zesco.com/pimages/789/789-d-004-1-400.jpg
This.

The thin slabs are a royal pain to shred, they break too easily, and some brands even end up crumbling into bits.

The big blocks are way better, and the norm south of the border, but harder to find here, just the store brand for the most part, the rest make those stupid wafer things.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
The stuff tastes awful. Wouldn't eat that stuff if you paid me.

Nom. Nom. Nom. Nom.

I only buy it on the odd occasion for burgers but I can chomp through many slices given half the chance.

I was a child of the 50's & 60's so that may have something to do with it. Processed cheese and brown sauce sandwiches.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Nom. Nom. Nom. Nom.

I only buy it on the odd occasion for burgers but I can chomp through many slices given half the chance.

I was a child of the 50's & 60's so that may have something to do with it. Processed cheese and brown sauce sandwiches.
Ok I lied, I sometimes have it on burgers, but only for lack of alternatives
Old Jan 26th 2015, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Try the 2 Burnaby stores? I find those 2 stores have a better selection of items overall.

The Vancouver store downtown I think is smaller overall and just carries less, and they charge for parking, so we stopped going to that one.

The stores seem to get better the further into the burbs you go, and cross the border and they just rock, it's too bad we can't have US style selection here.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Nom. Nom. Nom. Nom.:
Processed cheese slices are killer bait for stocked rainbow trout - put the spring from a ballpoint pen on the shank of the hook to hold it on.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I do like a Laughing Cow cheese triangle though. Excellent on the toast part of beans on toast.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I do like a Laughing Cow cheese triangle though. Excellent on the toast part of beans on toast.
La Vache qui rit? Moi aussi.

Much better than that Dairylea rubbish.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Processed cheese slices are killer bait for stocked rainbow trout - put the spring from a ballpoint pen on the shank of the hook to hold it on.
Good to put pills in to get dogs to take them too. Best thing out there to cover the pill with for the dog doesn't know.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:50 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Shard
La Vache qui rit? Moi aussi.

Much better than that Dairylea rubbish.
You have to remember to leave little gaps in the coverage otherwise the beans don't soak into the bread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.