Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Apr 4th 2021, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by Shard
I've never totally bought into the economic argument (how much they bring in) but in terms of simply maintaining the historical institution, while there's a family willing to sacrafice their freedom for it, then why not, all part of Brand UK.

Perfectly said! for me it all about the history and the patriotism always has been... British history is so intertwined with the monarch, its fascinating, and its living history....over a 1000 years!! It wouldn't be Britain without it, to remove the monarch would be like removing the very heart and soul from Britain, you would be left with an empty shell.

Old Apr 4th 2021, 1:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

like removing the very heart and soul from Britain, you would be left with an empty shell.
<shrugs>
Old Apr 4th 2021, 2:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly said! for me it all about the history and the patriotism always has been... British history is so intertwined with the monarch, its fascinating, and its living history....over a 1000 years!! It wouldn't be Britain without it, to remove the monarch would be like removing the very heart and soul from Britain, you would be left with an empty shell.
France managed just fine without a monarchy, as do Ireland, Austria, Switzerland
Do you really think that there's nothing more to Britain?
Old Apr 4th 2021, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've never totally bought into the economic argument (how much they bring in) but in terms of simply maintaining the historical institution, while there's a family willing to sacrafice their freedom for it, then why not, all part of Brand UK.

+1
I agree with both of you on this!
Old Apr 4th 2021, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
France managed just fine without a monarchy, as do Ireland, Austria, Switzerland
Do you really think that there's nothing more to Britain?
Managed... thats just it though... managed... I think the French are quite envious of the British monarchy nowadays. . A few countries have actually reinstated their monarchy....like Spain. Besides it seems like an awful lot of trouble to get rid of something that works, and had got such a strong historical connection the the country itself.

Obviously there is more to Britain than just the monarchy, but I really do feel that most of it is rooted in the monarchy....nearly every historical and cultural event in Britain's past involves the monarch of the time. and this still exists today....which I find amazing and fascinating, and really when it comes down to it, what does it really cost per person in tax payers money, its negligable.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Apr 4th 2021 at 6:59 pm. Reason: Typos
Old Apr 4th 2021, 8:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Managed... thats just it though... managed... I think the French are quite envious of the British monarchy nowadays. . A few countries have actually reinstated their monarchy....like Spain. Besides it seems like an awful lot of trouble to get rid of something that works, and had got such a strong historical connection the the country itself.

Obviously there is more to Britain than just the monarchy, but I really do feel that most of it is rooted in the monarchy....nearly every historical and cultural event in Britain's past involves the monarch of the time. and this still exists today....which I find amazing and fascinating, and really when it comes down to it, what does it really cost per person in tax payers money, its negligable.
Actually I meant to type "manages" with more than a touch of sarcasm but I take your point on what I did type.
France does just fine attracting tourists, it has a strong culture and sense of worth that doesn't depend on a family who believe they were appointed by God to rule.
Spain? Well Franco fancied himself as king and had to make do with being regent. He only did it to keep himself in power.
It's not about the cost, it's about Britain's class system and the idea of being subservient to another human being. That that human can exert power over laws to protect their interests.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd disagree here.

Moving forward Britain's progress and ingenuity is not tied to the Royal Family in anyway and should not be- it's simply amazing that Canada and Australia haven't done away with the figurehead.

It's an outdated institution that doesn't solve anything. Really it would be better for the country and the family if they went their separate ways.

At this stage the only beneficiary to the arrangement is Prince Andrew who is hiding in the shell to avoid the pedophile charges in the US that are catching up with him.

Shut it down.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 9:57 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd disagree here.

Moving forward Britain's progress and ingenuity is not tied to the Royal Family in anyway and should not be- it's simply amazing that Canada and Australia haven't done away with the figurehead.

It's an outdated institution that doesn't solve anything. Really it would be better for the country and the family if they went their separate ways.

At this stage the only beneficiary to the arrangement is Prince Andrew who is hiding in the shell to avoid the pedophile charges in the US that are catching up with him.

Shut it down.
and stop dishing out awards referring to the Empire.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 10:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

and stop dishing out awards referring to the Empire.
What about the crest on my bottle of Ballantine's? The implication is that it's good enough for them so it must be good enough for me. Do they get paid for the use of the crest? It must be worth something.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 12:54 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by caretaker
What about the crest on my bottle of Ballantine's? The implication is that it's good enough for them so it must be good enough for me. Do they get paid for the use of the crest? It must be worth something.
I looked it up, I don't think that's a "By Appointment " crest.. just some Scottish thing. Doesn't look like Ballantines is her Maje's drink of choice.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 2:16 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I looked it up, I don't think that's a "By Appointment " crest.. just some Scottish thing. Doesn't look like Ballantines is her Maje's drink of choice.
You've been had @caretaker! You should see if the liquor store can give you some cash back!
Old Apr 6th 2021, 2:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ballantines does have a royal warrant. It is an older one before QE2 time.
No money to The Firm re the warrants.

Edit as looked it up. A wee dram by appt to Q Vic and husband Albert.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 6th 2021 at 2:45 am.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 2:47 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never looked closely; maybe it's the Ballentine family crest. I'll have to check the gin in the morning.
edit; thanks Bevs! The 2 main thoroughfares in Regina (named for Vic) are Albert St and Victoria Avenue. Who turns my crank is Jenna Coleman as Victoria . ... time to get up and have some Ballantine's, and sure enough, Victoria is on channel 4.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 6th 2021 at 3:50 am.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:06 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ballantines does have a royal warrant. It is an older one before QE2 time.
No money to The Firm re the warrants.

Edit as looked it up. A wee dram by appt to Q Vic and husband Albert.
Not current though. Means nothing, No royal largesse. For poor Caretaker
Old Apr 6th 2021, 6:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not current though. Means nothing, No royal largesse. For poor Caretaker
I am confused now. When did it lose its warrant ?

Whiskeypedia- whatever that really is - suggests the seal remains current and it does seem the bottles show this. If it was removed then the bottles should not be displaying the crest.

Oh - where has the pic gone? I would like to see the crest.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 6th 2021 at 6:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.