British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Prince Harry and Meghan ...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/prince-harry-meghan-930277/)

scilly Jan 9th 2020 8:49 pm

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

This question was asked on another site, discussing their announcement that they would be moving to spend time in the UK and in North America. Some reports are suggesting that Canada is the preferred country, with some suggestion that the split could be 6 months in each country per year.

Assuming that these reports are accurate, the following question was asked ..................

Would they be allowed to, or could they, just move to Canada to live for 6 months out of every year without having to undergo any immigration or visa applications or tests?

It seemed an interesting question to me ............ does anyone have any idea whether a multi-millionaire (Harry is thought to be worth around £30 million, and Meghan around £4 million) could just move to live in Canada, and presumably earn money here (as they say they want to)?

Jerseygirl Jan 9th 2020 9:11 pm

Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12787718)
This question was asked on another site, discussing their announcement that they would be moving to spend time in the UK and in North America. Some reports are suggesting that Canada is the preferred country, with some suggestion that the split could be 6 months in each country per year.

Assuming that these reports are accurate, the following question was asked ..................

Would they be allowed to, or could they, just move to Canada to live for 6 months out of every year without having to undergo any immigration or visa applications or tests?

It seemed an interesting question to me ............ does anyone have any idea whether a multi-millionaire (Harry is thought to be worth around £30 million, and Meghan around £4 million) could just move to live in Canada, and presumably earn money here (as they say they want to)?

If they wish to live and/or work in Canada, strings will be pulled and the red carpet will be rolled out.

Former Lancastrian Jan 9th 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12787731)
If they wish to live and/or work in Canada, strings will be pulled and the red carpet will be rolled out.

Not by this CBSA officer :lol:

BristolUK Jan 9th 2020 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12787738)
Not by this CBSA officer

I can just see you on Border Services - the reboot :rofl:

Partially discharged Jan 9th 2020 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12787738)
Not by this CBSA officer :lol:

Good for you. I read something by Piers Morgan on the subject (I did feel dirty after reading anything he writes) and I totally agree with him. Both of them have shirked the duties that they knew they had to adhere to whether they like it or not.

Somehow I can't see Prince Harry on a Saturday morning Costco run texting/phoning Megan as to whether or not to buy the monster pack of bog roll this week or next.

scilly Jan 9th 2020 10:12 pm

If they withdraw from most of their Royal duties, or even renounce their titles (another suggestion seen), that would negate any strings being pulled, surely??

Would they have needed a visa for their private several week stay in that estate near Victoria?

dave_j Jan 9th 2020 10:19 pm

Let's face it, there are few individuals more equal than royals, and when it comes to being equal, the Sussex's can claim to be among the most equal people on earth.
Canada immigration will claim their decision making does not discriminate and treats all on the basis of equality. Thus we can rest assured that since these two live a life of total equality then when it comes to decision making they'll find themselves right at the head of any queue populated with other equals, no matter how long that queue is.

Jerseygirl Jan 9th 2020 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12787752)
If they withdraw from most of their Royal duties, or even renounce their titles (another suggestion seen), that would negate any strings being pulled, surely??

Would they have needed a visa for their private several week stay in that estate near Victoria?

Even if they renounce their titles, PH is the future monarch’s son and brother. I have no doubt strings will always be pulled for them.

They can stay stay/visit Canada for 6 months without a visa.

Danny B Jan 9th 2020 10:25 pm

Good luck to them, I wouldn't wish being born into the Royal Family on my worst enemy. What a life.

I bet the writers of 'The Crown' are ecstatic, they just got another season of new material.

Jerseygirl Jan 9th 2020 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12787758)
Good luck to them, I wouldn't wish being born into the Royal Family on my worst enemy. What a life.

I bet the writers of 'The Crown' are ecstatic, they just got another season of new material.

I wonder if she will play herself. :lol:

dbd33 Jan 9th 2020 10:44 pm

I don't think their being royal is an issue as far as immigration is concerned. They're rich, they can buy entry if they want, there's always an "investor" program.

cxx Jan 9th 2020 11:21 pm

Is she already a Canadian citizen? She spent several years in Toronto, and seems to like it.

scilly Jan 10th 2020 2:56 am

Originally Posted by cxx (Post 12787782)
Is she already a Canadian citizen? She spent several years in Toronto, and seems to like it.

I don't think so. No mention was made of her being a Canadian citizen when they got engaged, only of her US citizenship.

She was probably here under one of the special visas arrangement under NAFTA for people with special abilities, ie acting.

dave_j Jan 10th 2020 4:12 pm

I'm no royalist by any stretch of the imagination and I don't know about anyone else but I find myself at odds with some of how I feel about these two.
On the one hand, I see a privileged, wealthy family with none of the financial life burdens that the rest of us face and who have a good share in an extended business that requires nothing of them but that they show up and shake a few hands and be paid handsomely for the effort.
On the other hand, I see a damaged couple shackled to an uncaring regime that seeks to trample individualism underfoot wherever they find it and unwilling or unable to acknowledge internal difficulties should it reflect unfavourably on the core business.
And there's my conundrum. Against my deeper instincts I actually find myself feeling sorry for them, but I can't help wondering whether I'm being too soft.
Others could very likely sustain the intrusive press attention and other disagreeable aspects of the job but it's clear that the stiff upper lip that shouts 'Calm down and carry on' has impacted a marriage that appears to want the best of all worlds.
I wonder whether a different life outside the UK estranged from a family that will choose to keep them at arms length will be any better.
It would never surprise me that Andrew with his shame will be treated better in the future than Harry, such is the distorted view of loyalty that I witness.

JamesM Jan 10th 2020 7:10 pm

We're so far beyond first world problems here it's not funny.

It really is another reason to disband the monarchy, cease "their" wealth and move Britain into the 21st century.