Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Primark in storm over conditions

Primark in storm over conditions

Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice
Default Re: Primark in storm over conditions

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Let's see if you are still saying that when you are an immigrant here, looking for work, and can only find minimum wage or cash in hand jobs.
Hey I wouldnt be in Canada Illegally!
If they were getting payed properly, by the time they paid tax they wouldnt be any better of anyway.
I thought this was about the money they were paying there staff in the far east,didnt realise it was in the UK!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:16 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I agree that Preeemark is a nightmare to shop in, but I should stick up for it a little. For many years, Primark was the only reason I had clothes! It's great for work clothes, cheap blouses and trousers etc. I just couldn't afford to shop in very many other places, and I have yet to have something fall apart after a few wears?! All my bed linens and towels etc were all out of Primark. So yes, they have a whole lot of tat but some things are ok.
For girls buying work clothes/workout clothes and the accessories that seem to go out of fashion every 5 minutes, I'm sure its grand. Just don't force your menfolk in there with you. It's an incredibly high stress environment for us.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
For girls buying work clothes/workout clothes and the accessories that seem to go out of fashion every 5 minutes, I'm sure its grand. Just don't force your menfolk in there with you. It's an incredibly high stress environment for us.
I think all womens clothes shops should have a special holding area for the men folk with video games and beer
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought the clothing on the floor in there was dumped there by customers only. Then, one day, I saw the staff chucking it there while tidying up a bit.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I love Primark - and just for the record, I don't do the trashy look! But for basics like a knitted polo neck (£4), a t-shirt (£1.50), winter coat (£10), cardigan (£4) etc it's fab.

I also love their shoes, pretty jewelled flip flops in the summer or a pair of ballet pumps etc for £2-3 a pair. In the summer I wore several outfits that didn't cost more than £10 in total - flip flops, t-shirt, skirt and even sometimes a bracelet as well for under a tenner!! I certainly wouldn't go there for occasion wear as it does tend to be rather chavvy for that type of thing, and I can't buy their trousers as I'm only 5ft and a size 6/8 so they would never fit (but then I struggle to get them even in shops with Petite ranges).

But for cheap basics they can't be beaten imo and it is now a bit of a fashion mecca apparently (not being particularly trendy, I'll just have to take other peoples word on that!). We've had a new one open up near to us which is great, the one I used to go to was pretty chaotic but so far the new one is always organised and not too busy.

Plus for kids clothes they're great, I did the entire winter wardrobe for my two for £70. Great when they grow out of it all so quickly!

Having said all that, I'm now off to read the article posted and see if that changes my mind about it!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

I think most shops in England use unethical methods to get clothing made cheaply but preemark is the only shop that passes those savings on to us- they are all at it- have you noticed that m&s have cheaper clothes now- so have we been ripped off by them all this time! I love preeemark!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:32 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I have read many comments on this site as to how out of fashion Canadians are. We are dowdy, years behind, basically a jeans and sweater society. I am presently watching a soccer match from England and from the views of the spectators provided, I can now understand the comments. The spectators are dressed in the height of fashion mainly wearing toques, baseball caps, and various forms of ski/winter jackets. I can't see their pants and footwear but I'm sure they must be equally upper scale.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I have read many comments on this site as to how out of fashion Canadians are. We are dowdy, years behind, basically a jeans and sweater society. I am presently watching a soccer match from England and from the views of the spectators provided, I can now understand the comments. The spectators are dressed in the height of fashion mainly wearing toques, baseball caps, and various forms of ski/winter jackets. I can't see their pants and footwear but I'm sure they must be equally upper scale.
Chav tracksuits and bling seem to be the only fashion in Britain at the moment.