Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Price of Beer and Wine

Price of Beer and Wine

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of Beer and Wine

I have a UK homebrew kit for Woodefords Wherry. (Which is a fine pint of real ale from Norfolk). I even brought a pressure barrel over from UK to put it in for the complete real ale experience. Just haven't got around to trying it yet. I suppose I should do it for Christmas although it might be a little late now.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:50 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I have a UK homebrew kit for Woodefords Wherry. (Which is a fine pint of real ale from Norfolk)..
Was my favourite when I lived in Norwich. Bastard, you never really kick an addiction do you.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I have a UK homebrew kit for Woodefords Wherry. (Which is a fine pint of real ale from Norfolk). I even brought a pressure barrel over from UK to put it in for the complete real ale experience. Just haven't got around to trying it yet. I suppose I should do it for Christmas although it might be a little late now.
This stuff is fantastic. I haven't been able to source CO2 to repressurise the pressure barrel I have. If I could, I would brew my own ale too. I suspect it may be available, but I couldn't find it when I looked when we first came over. You may have just provided me with the incentive to search again.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This stuff is fantastic. I haven't been able to source CO2 to repressurise the pressure barrel I have. If I could, I would brew my own ale too. I suspect it may be available, but I couldn't find it when I looked when we first came over. You may have just provided me with the incentive to search again.
Just google "air liquide CO2 calgary".
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
People under the legal age will always find a way to get booze.
Does it really matter how easy or hard it is to get booze its when the individual gets the booze and what they do is the problem.
Well yes it does matter how hard it is to get.

Where I live here, in relation to all the usual city amenities, is the same as back in Bristol in all respects except one. Places that sell booze.

I have one liquor store that's about a 15 minute walk away. The others are 40 minutes or more away on foot.

On the way to the nearest one there are 3 or 4 restaurants that sell it, if you're eating there - with the relatively limited choice involved - and there are one or two bars, also needing you to be there, though I suppose you could have someone get you one with a top off that has to be consumed quickly.

Within 15 minutes walk of where I lived in Bristol there were three off licences (including one of the biggies), three supermarkets selling the stuff and 7 pubs, all of whom doing off sales.

If I was underage that would be a lot easier in Bristol than here where I'd either have to get someone willing to go out of their way to get it or go to a store some distance away and hope I could persuade a stranger to go in and get me some without having my presence noticed or reported.

Of course there are fake IDs and such but while I was able to buy a drink at 15 back in the UK (only once was I ever refused) I doubt it would have been so easy here. I was actually refused in Toronto when I was 18

Aside from all that, there does seem a much greater awareness (or fear?) in this part of the world. The newspapers have letters about the demon drink, people don't seem especially put out by being so limited in where they can buy a pack of beer and how much it costs - although some complain about it being cheaper next door in Quebec - there is outrage whenever a drunk driver isn't sentenced to death (or gets off through not being arrested in French ) and practically anybody in court seems to have "no alcohol consumption" conditions attached to them.

I'm unaware of drunken behaviour in the streets compared to my area in Bristol.

But I still get the idea that alcoholism and drunk driving is more of a problem than one would expect with all that "awareness" and encouragement to not drink or drink responsibly.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chanceUK
do you do this justkidding? I'm planning on getting some kit for my other halfs xmas present

any tips on essential/non-essential equipment?
Yes, we brew beer and cider and also get into the wine making. Find a good beer/wine making store and buy some decent equipment and get some advice. It turns out surprisingly good.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:03 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well yes it does matter how hard it is to get.

Where I live here, in relation to all the usual city amenities, is the same as back in Bristol in all respects except one. Places that sell booze.

I have one liquor store that's about a 15 minute walk away. The others are 40 minutes or more away on foot.

On the way to the nearest one there are 3 or 4 restaurants that sell it, if you're eating there - with the relatively limited choice involved - and there are one or two bars, also needing you to be there, though I suppose you could have someone get you one with a top off that has to be consumed quickly.

Within 15 minutes walk of where I lived in Bristol there were three off licences (including one of the biggies), three supermarkets selling the stuff and 7 pubs, all of whom doing off sales.

If I was underage that would be a lot easier in Bristol than here where I'd either have to get someone willing to go out of their way to get it or go to a store some distance away and hope I could persuade a stranger to go in and get me some without having my presence noticed or reported.

Of course there are fake IDs and such but while I was able to buy a drink at 15 back in the UK (only once was I ever refused) I doubt it would have been so easy here. I was actually refused in Toronto when I was 18

Aside from all that, there does seem a much greater awareness (or fear?) in this part of the world. The newspapers have letters about the demon drink, people don't seem especially put out by being so limited in where they can buy a pack of beer and how much it costs - although some complain about it being cheaper next door in Quebec - there is outrage whenever a drunk driver isn't sentenced to death (or gets off through not being arrested in French ) and practically anybody in court seems to have "no alcohol consumption" conditions attached to them.

I'm unaware of drunken behaviour in the streets compared to my area in Bristol.

But I still get the idea that alcoholism and drunk driving is more of a problem than one would expect with all that "awareness" and encouragement to not drink or drink responsibly.
I think that unless you have a teen you are not aware of what is going on. Our 'local' NSLC is a 10 minute drive but that doesn't deter my teen (and her friends) from getting booze and drinking at local parks or in eachothers basements. Underage drinking definitely does go on here.

I am aware of the drinking and although I don't like it I would rather them be safe than end up in a ditch somewhere (or worse) so I limit it and make sure I know where they are and they don't get too pissed.
They get hold of it anyway and they are going to drink anyway with or without your knowledge and permission.

Yes I agree it doesn't seem to cause as much mindless chav behaviour that it does in the UK, but that doesn't mean we are completely free of it.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:45 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I think that unless you have a teen you are not aware of what is going on.
When we moved to NB we had teens of 13 and 15. They're now 20 and 22 (so they no longer know everything )

Our 'local' NSLC is a 10 minute drive but that doesn't deter my teen (and her friends) from getting booze and drinking at local parks or in each others basements.
But where's the next one if they can't get any joy from that one? That's what I'm getting at. If we're talking underage then they are much less likely to be able to get to the few outlets.

Our teens knew one person that was able to drive and that was the the older boyfriend that one of their friends used to attract.

Underage drinking definitely does go on here.
Yes I agree it doesn't seem to cause as much mindless chav behaviour that it does in the UK, but that doesn't mean we are completely free of it.
Of course.

I think that it goes on less (though probably not in the bigger cities) is part of the overall issue I'm getting at....namely that there are more restrictions - age, outlets, tv ads encouraging responsible drinking, general curfews (not being out after 10.00 pm under 16 without an adult, for example), the demon drink attitudes prevalent (I hesitate to say right wing religious nutcases) the cost etc etc

All stuff geared up to reducing problems and it just seems that as far as drunk driving and alcoholism goes things are worse.

It's almost as if teen drinking is much less than the UK and then when it becomes legal they go overboard.

Maybe the drinking age should be reduced to 10 and it should be given out free in schools.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

It's almost as if teen drinking is much less than the UK and then when it becomes legal they go overboard.

Maybe the drinking age should be reduced to 10 and it should be given out free in schools.
Oh come on, don't kid yourself. They're all out getting off their tits at 'bush parties' with booze, pot, blow and meth.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

I tried Boxer beer jees no no no .dang that stuff is bad. BUT nowhere near as bad as Billy beer i was given by so called friend had picked up down south for next to nothing.
Wish i could find Sweetheart stout and mc ewans IPA..or even some Tennants but after drinking the 4% muck over here Tennants at 6% would probably shorten my night out bigtime.
jimmy
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
I tried Boxer beer jees no no no .dang that stuff is bad. BUT nowhere near as bad as Billy beer i was given by so called friend had picked up down south for next to nothing.
Wish i could find Sweetheart stout and mc ewans IPA..or even some Tennants but after drinking the 4% muck over here Tennants at 6% would probably shorten my night out bigtime.
jimmy
Lightweight. They got some beer called delirium tremens up on draught up at my local pub and its 8.5%. Lovely stuff.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:39 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
I tried Boxer beer jees no no no .dang that stuff is bad.
I think I tried it once and poured 3/4 of the can out. There's a whiff of embalming fluid or something there. That was when it was new, though, but I'm scared to try again.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:33 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Lightweight. They got some beer called delirium tremens up on draught up at my local pub and its 8.5%. Lovely stuff.
You should try Crest super it comes in at 10% alc !
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Like Buckley's, it tastes awful, but it works.

Why not just drink methanol? It's cheap.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Actually, Delirium Tremens is an excellent tasting beer. Won a contest or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.