Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Price of Beer and Wine

Price of Beer and Wine

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of Beer and Wine

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah, yes. I well remember back in the early 80's when you had to check, with LCBO supplied pencils, what you wanted among the, oh yes, dozens of available options. Then you handed your slip of paper to a civil servant who tut tutted a bit and then told you to wait. Your order eventually emerged from the back-room in a brown paper bag, and you were allowed to leave with your tail (as it were) between your legs, hopefully feeling terribly guilty.

Them wos the daze.
Ah yes I visited in those days. It was a bit like shopping in Argos but less classy. I thought it was odd that the puritans would not let you buy one bottle and insisted you had a case of beer.

Originally Posted by Oink
Thats another piss off over here, you can't get proper lemonade so we have to put 7-Up or Sprite in our wine when we want a nice glass of spritzer.
There is no such thing as a nice glass of spritzer - as you well know. Should you have to drink such muck then at least use club soda.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

There is no such thing as a nice glass of spritzer - as you well know. Should you have to drink such muck then at least use club soda.
While its very nice on a hot afternoon we mainly make it for the kids.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

And talking of wine.

I had some of BODEGAS LAGARDE "ATLAS CUMBRES" Torrontes | Mendoza, Argentina in a restaurant recently. It isn't sold in LCBO. Can anyone suggest a wine of similar yumminess?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:36 pm
limey party pooper

While its very nice on a hot afternoon we mainly make it for the kids.
Ah yes, the sensible French way. Watered down wine allowed but none of that caffeine. Makes sense to me.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lets be honest when it comes to booze and smokes Canada is one of the biggest Nanny states in the world. Why is that?
Apart from Quebec most of us find that buying booze is a PITA as we have to buy from Govt controlled stores or private stores still under Govt control.
No nipping into WalMart or a convenience store to buy a 6 pack or a bottle of wine.
Who is to blame the consumer because we do stoopid thing when we consume booze?
Obviously booze is cheap to produce but isnt this a commodity where the Govt can rape us on taxes and we will still pay them.
I cant say I blame travellers smuggling booze and cigarettes but if caught with them dont give me a hard time either pay the taxes or accept they will be seized and taken away from you.
Look at the UK with the all you can drink for twenty quid promotions.
We cant even advertise happy hours now and there is minimum pricing as some dumbasses went out and got pissed and died after consuming as many dollar rum and cokes as they could on a Monday night.
Too drunk to walk home sure get behind the wheel of a car.
The booze isnt the problem its the people who cant act responsibly after consuming it is the problem.
Dont even get me started on the cigarettes issue
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Lets be honest when it comes to booze and smokes Canada is one of the biggest Nanny states in the world. Why is that?
Apart from Quebec most of us find that buying booze is a PITA as we have to buy from Govt controlled stores or private stores still under Govt control.
No nipping into WalMart or a convenience store to buy a 6 pack or a bottle of wine.
Who is to blame the consumer because we do stoopid thing when we consume booze?
Obviously booze is cheap to produce but isnt this a commodity where the Govt can rape us on taxes and we will still pay them.
I cant say I blame travellers smuggling booze and cigarettes but if caught with them dont give me a hard time either pay the taxes or accept they will be seized and taken away from you.
Look at the UK with the all you can drink for twenty quid promotions.
We cant even advertise happy hours now and there is minimum pricing as some dumbasses went out and got pissed and died after consuming as many dollar rum and cokes as they could on a Monday night.
Too drunk to walk home sure get behind the wheel of a car.
The booze isnt the problem its the people who cant act responsibly after consuming it is the problem.
Dont even get me started on the cigarettes issue
Or guns. Canada needs to grow up and grow some.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:54 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

In BC, the cheapest place to buy beer or wine is at the gov't liquor stores, the mom and pop cold beer & wine stores are always more expensive by a couple of bucks.

Someone mentioned American beer - can you really call that beer? NOT. You may as well drink the non-alcoholic beers.

Whiskey - the cheapest place to buy it is Alberta, even cheaper than Scotland. Another reason to move to Calgary (if I could just change the weather there).

The biggest problem nowadays is having a bevvie that's not refrigerated - prefer cellar temperature - especially Guinness and what's with the "extra cold" Guinness? That's just wrong.

It would also be nice to get your hands on some Sweetheart Stout to make a proper Black & Tan
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:56 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

We have lots of guns. We just don't use them to shoot people.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13
In BC, the cheapest place to buy beer or wine is at the gov't liquor stores, the mom and pop cold beer & wine stores are always more expensive by a couple of bucks.

Someone mentioned American beer - can you really call that beer? NOT. You may as well drink the non-alcoholic beers.

Whiskey - the cheapest place to buy it is Alberta, even cheaper than Scotland. Another reason to move to Calgary (if I could just change the weather there).

The biggest problem nowadays is having a bevvie that's not refrigerated - prefer cellar temperature - especially Guinness and what's with the "extra cold" Guinness? That's just wrong.

It would also be nice to get your hands on some Sweetheart Stout to make a proper Black & Tan
Most of it is 5% and tastes about as shit as Canadian beer. Although they do have some excellent micro-style beers but they are more expensive and most of the locals prefer the shit stuff anyway as they grew up on it.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:00 pm

We have lots of guns. We just don't use them to shoot people.
You would if you nanny would let you.
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hazard a guess that there are more decent beers - micro's and such - to be had in 'merka than Canada. Sierra Nevada Pale for example. Hell, even Sam Adams is better than 90% of Canadian mass produced pap. The sense of superiority that Canadians seem to feel over America for the quality of their beers is sadly misplaced. Molson vs. Bud? It's a race to the bottom isn't it?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well we got rid of the gun registry so thats a start I guess.
The Govt at times are to stupid to listen to advice from people who see at first hand how stupid their policies can be.
Cigarettes are a legal product and very cheap to manufacture. Yes I know they are bad but if they are that bad then why arent they banned.
No Govt official is ever gonna come forward and admit that the taxes they collect from them help fund the social programmes such as health care etc.
How come I can buy a carton of legal First Nations cigarettes (not the baggies) from a gas station in Thunder Bay for $34 tax included yet a commercialy manufactured carton costs around $90.
How many cheap smokes are travelling from the East to the West on a daily basis.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well we got rid of the gun registry so thats a start I guess.
The Govt at times are to stupid to listen to advice from people who see at first hand how stupid their policies can be.
Cigarettes are a legal product and very cheap to manufacture. Yes I know they are bad but if they are that bad then why arent they banned.
No Govt official is ever gonna come forward and admit that the taxes they collect from them help fund the social programmes such as health care etc.
How come I can buy a carton of legal First Nations cigarettes (not the baggies) from a gas station in Thunder Bay for $34 tax included yet a commercialy manufactured carton costs around $90.
How many cheap smokes are travelling from the East to the West on a daily basis.
I know. Back in the day you could buy a packet of fags and get bladdered for two pounds.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:14 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I know. Back in the day you could buy a packet of fags and get bladdered for two pounds.
Are you quoting your 100+ year old Nan here?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Are you quoting your 100+ year old Nan here?
Back in the day before Thatcher ruined everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.