Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Price of Beer and Wine

Price of Beer and Wine

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of Beer and Wine

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Just wondered what people pay for a 24 of beer etc across the country?
Being in Ontario you can only buy from the Beer store or the LCBO which is owned by the same company! Here in Ottawa i pay $30 for a 24 0f Blue,$45 for 24 of Stella and $ 10 for a bottle of Jacobs creek,How ever being so close to the Quebec border its a lot cheaper to buy there Strictly speaking your not allowed to bring booze across from Quebec not that i would Former Lancastrian
I refer you to this thread.... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705589
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:37 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The NLC here (state owned, communist control of happy juice for the proletariat) has at least moved beyond the handing you booze in a paper bag to some rather nice retail stores. They have excellent wine selections and are getting better with beer. And where else in Canada can you find such a large rum selection as in Newfoundland?

Prices are high though. Can't speak for BlueStar or other pap, but that 500ml can of Pride that dbd33 buys for $2.5 in ON costs me upwards of $3.50. 500mls from the local micro costs $6 or so with a buck fifty rebate on the bottle. Drinkable wine is $12 an up with $14-18 the sweet spot for us.

Some local beer snobs have recently started an "Artisanal beer club" where they organise a monthly purchase through the NLC and one can sign up to reserve x number of bottles to purchase at ones local store. So far they seem to be obsessed with Quebec micro's and big bottles of very strong beer. I hope they move on to British stuff soon enough.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The NLC here (state owned, communist control of happy juice for the proletariat) has at least moved beyond the handing you booze in a paper bag to some rather nice retail stores. They have excellent wine selections and are getting better with beer. And where else in Canada can you find such a large rum selection as in Newfoundland?

Prices are high though. Can't speak for BlueStar or other pap, but that 500ml can of Pride that dbd33 buys for $2.5 in ON costs me upwards of $3.50. 500mls from the local micro costs $6 or so with a buck fifty rebate on the bottle. Drinkable wine is $12 an up with $14-18 the sweet spot for us.

Some local beer snobs have recently started an "Artisanal beer club" where they organise a monthly purchase through the NLC and one can sign up to reserve x number of bottles to purchase at ones local store. So far they seem to be obsessed with Quebec micro's and big bottles of very strong beer. I hope they move on to British stuff soon enough.
Ah, yes. I well remember back in the early 80's when you had to check, with LCBO supplied pencils, what you wanted among the, oh yes, dozens of available options. Then you handed your slip of paper to a civil servant who tut tutted a bit and then told you to wait. Your order eventually emerged from the back-room in a brown paper bag, and you were allowed to leave with your tail (as it were) between your legs, hopefully feeling terribly guilty.

Them wos the daze.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:28 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Jacob's Creek what??? Which wine there are so many.

I think a visit to LCBO should be essential as part of assessing a neighbourhood
We have an LCBO in the village that sells Piat d'Or, Mateus Rose, Black Tower, Blue Nun, Avelada. Need I say more?

Shiraz - good enough for midweek drinking
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:31 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

A 24 of domestic swill costs about $23 (plus tax and deposit), regardless of where you buy it. We mainly buy wine from the SAQ Depot and buy by the case because there is a 15% discount on bulk purchases. The stuff we are drinking at the moment comes from Argentina. It's about $9 a bottle and it's very nice.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
Brew your own
do you do this justkidding? I'm planning on getting some kit for my other halfs xmas present

any tips on essential/non-essential equipment?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all

okay, so since it's pretty much a given that we get ripped off for booze and my nerves can only take so much smuggling across the border, has anyone actually tried brewing their own beer or wine? It's something the husband and I have thought about but have heard bad things about the end results. I have one work colleague though who makes her own red wine and she reckons it's okay as long as you have it as the second or third bottle. Anyone with experience of this (in Canada)?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
okay, so since it's pretty much a given that we get ripped off for booze and my nerves can only take so much smuggling across the border, has anyone actually tried brewing their own beer or wine? It's something the husband and I have thought about but have heard bad things about the end results. I have one work colleague though who makes her own red wine and she reckons it's okay as long as you have it as the second or third bottle. Anyone with experience of this (in Canada)?
Beer, yes, some success with that though it didn't work out markedly cheaper than buying Pride. No one makes drinkable red wine at home anywhere.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Beer, yes, some success with that though it didn't work out markedly cheaper than buying Pride. No one makes drinkable red wine at home anywhere.
I understand you drink Cotes du Rhone wine (I seem to recall you and that Novo chap discussing this on a thread recently. My apologies if I have you mixed up with another). If you have the stomach for that, one assumes you have the stomach to cope with home made red wine.

To those that wish to brew their own wine: steer clear of the kits sold in supermarkets. I suggest you go along to a local brew shop and look at the "premium" kits. It is possible to obtain kits that work out around $3-$5 a bottle, that will produce wine that will easily compete with a bottle that would cost $15-$20 in a liquor store (Alberta prices).
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:47 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I understand you drink Cotes du Rhone wine (I seem to recall you and that Novo chap discussing this on a thread recently. My apologies if I have you mixed up with another). If you have the stomach for that, one assumes you have the stomach to cope with home made red wine.
Oh, the ignorance!

Please try two of the following before expressing an opinion which is likely based on the stuff you can buy at whatever the LCBO is called in darkest Alberta.

Rasteau
Vacqueras
Chateau-neuf-du-pape
Gigondas
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:49 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Can anyone think of any other country in the world (excepting the Muslim nations, of course) where you can't buy beer in a supermarket? Ok, we can here In QC... we even get really good deals in Costco, too, but that's one Province out of.... er..... well, you know!
Oddly enough when I lived in the Emirates, I had an alcohol licence which allowed me, as a Christian, to buy up to the value of 10% of my basic salary in alcohol per month...and it was still cheaper than Canada! I have been thinking of a quick visit to Quebec, with a BIG coat, prior to Christmas, my husband is coming home and I havent seen him for three months, so a few glasses of wine may be in order. Is it much cheaper in Quebec? I don't drink beer, but I do miss reasonably priced wine, and whiskey. Strange thing is, when it's priced so high, I almost have more of a desire to drink...when I was surrounded by good, reasonably priced alcohol I didn't drink that much.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, the ignorance!

Please try two of the following before expressing an opinion which is likely based on the stuff you can buy at whatever the LCBO is called in darkest Alberta.

Rasteau
Vacqueras
Chateau-neuf-du-pape
Gigondas
Not sure what you are getting at here. I am sure you will accept there are many varietals of wine produced by Cotes du Rhone.

I was responding to the comment that home made red wine is undrinkable. I don't believe that to be the case at all. In any event, if the drinker likes the wine being consumed, that is all that matters is it not? We could, of course, get into a pissing match in relation to who consumes what wine but, IMVHO, that is a little infantile
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:03 pm
Born again atheist

Not sure what you are getting at here. I am sure you will accept there are many varietals of wine produced by Cotes du Rhone.
You may think you were responding to a remark about home made reds but in fact you took a side swipe at an AOC about which you appear to be rather ignorant.

BTW all Cotes du Rhones are a blend of varietals, predominantly Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the stomach for that, one assumes you have the stomach to cope with home made red wine.
I can usually keep it down, yes.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thats another piss off over here, you can't get proper lemonade so we have to put 7-Up or Sprite in our wine when we want a nice glass of spritzer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.