British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Price of Beer and Wine (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/price-beer-wine-778375/)

umpalumpa Nov 21st 2012 10:59 pm

Price of Beer and Wine

Just wondered what people pay for a 24 of beer etc across the country?
Being in Ontario you can only buy from the Beer store or the LCBO which is owned by the same company!:thumbdown: Here in Ottawa i pay $30 for a 24 0f Blue,$45 for 24 of Stella :ohmy: and $ 10 for a bottle of Jacobs creek,How ever being so close to the Quebec border its a lot cheaper to buy there ;) Strictly speaking your not allowed to bring booze across from Quebec:thumbdown: not that i would Former Lancastrian :D;)

Oink Nov 21st 2012 11:04 pm

Re: Price of Beer and Wine

Originally Posted by umpalumpa (Post 10395273)
Being in Ontario you can only buy from the Beer store or the LCBO which is owned by the same company!:thumbdown: Here in Ottawa i pay $30 for a 24 0f Blue,$45 for 24 of Stella :ohmy: and $ 10 for a bottle of Jacobs creek,How ever being so close to the Quebec border its a lot cheaper to buy there ;) Strictly speaking your not allowed to bring booze across from Quebec:thumbdown: not that i would Former Lancastrian :D;)

If I'm having any locals over then I pay around $18.00-$20.00 USD for 72 cans of crap American beer. Other than that I usually pay around $2.00 for a 500ml can of European pilsner style beer.

scrubbedexpat133 Nov 21st 2012 11:09 pm

I tend to buy Brit or German beer averages between $2 - 3 per can/ bottle :beer:

scrubbedexpat133 Nov 21st 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10395280)
If I'm having any locals over then I pay around $18.00-$20.00 USD for 72 cans of crap American beer. .

Dont you have plumbing??? :rofl:

Oink Nov 21st 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 10395287)
Dont you have plumbing??? :rofl:

They just come in a box that size and you just put a coat over it when you come across the border.

haggis88 Nov 21st 2012 11:50 pm

too much

booze is quite a rip off here....

geedee Nov 22nd 2012 12:05 am

State Control of alcohol is very communist.

justkidding Nov 22nd 2012 12:18 am

Brew your own :)

umpalumpa Nov 22nd 2012 12:35 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 10395332)
State Control of alcohol is very communist.

indeed :)

BristolUK Nov 22nd 2012 12:51 am

$ 10 for a bottle of Jacobs creek

Nearer $12 here.

dbd33 Nov 22nd 2012 1:03 am

Pride is $2.60-$2.80/can depending on the week. Red wines, day-to-day ones, are in the $17-20 range. I noticed in Vancouver that the same wines were about $5 more. They're 2/3's or less of the ON price in Buffalo and some, Ravenswood Zin, for example, are less than half the ON "Vintages" price at gas stations in NY ($17.95 at the LCBO, $6.95 at Exxon).

The LCBO offers long queues, poor service (governmental, boarding on hostile, as one imagines the benefit office for asylum seekers to be) high prices and ludicrous packaging; walk to the check out with 24 cans of beer and they put them in a paper bag.

Canada is not a good country for drinkers.

bats Nov 22nd 2012 1:09 am

Jacob's Creek what??? Which wine there are so many.

I think a visit to LCBO should be essential as part of assessing a neighbourhood
We have an LCBO in the village that sells Piat d'Or, Mateus Rose, Black Tower, Blue Nun, Avelada. Need I say more?

nikki dreaming Nov 22nd 2012 1:30 am

Having visited various provinces for work ns is the biggest rip off by far, $5 a bottle cheaper in Vancouver and $3 cheaper in Ontario :eek: whichever way a bloody rip off in any province, a 24 of Keith's in ns which is where it is made is more than any other province outside of ns! $42 !

Auld Yin Nov 22nd 2012 1:44 am

[COLOR="Red"][Being in Ontario you can only buy from the Beer store or the LCBO which is owned by the same company!/COLOR]

The LCBO is owned by the Province of Ontario whereas the Beer Store business is owned by some of the breweries.

geedee Nov 22nd 2012 1:56 am

Can anyone think of any other country in the world (excepting the Muslim nations, of course) where you can't buy beer in a supermarket? Ok, we can here In QC... we even get really good deals in Costco, too, but that's one Province out of.... er..... well, you know!:)