PM Boris

Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:49 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by dave_j
It certainly looks as though an extension will be implemented to be followed immediately by an election.
And then.. it'll be down to the voter, ignored most of the time, to decide.
Will it be Johnson, the renegade promising an end to the chaos or will it be Corbyn promising more of the same?
Johnson will only be able to win by promising no-deal to the Brexit Party, otherwise both lose out, and he'll be able to point to an obdurate EU to support this.
Labour, the fence sitters, will have to cope with will we or won't we and their turnout'll be compromised by the Stay-in Lib Dems, who will be also rans. Labour are caught in the middle and'll be squeezed until they crack.
All of this seems fairly straightforward, so like preventing a no deal, will the election be allowed or will it, as you put it, not be the responsible thing to do?
We shall see.
Yup, lots of fun and games await. Assuming a new deal isn't magicked out of a hat, that is.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 11:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
It certainly looks as though an extension will be implemented to be followed immediately by an election.
And then.. it'll be down to the voter, ignored most of the time, to decide.
Will it be Johnson, the renegade promising an end to the chaos or will it be Corbyn promising more of the same?
Johnson will only be able to win by promising no-deal to the Brexit Party, otherwise both lose out, and he'll be able to point to an obdurate EU to support this.
Labour, the fence sitters, will have to cope with will we or won't we and their turnout'll be compromised by the Stay-in Lib Dems, who will be also rans. Labour are caught in the middle and'll be squeezed until they crack.
All of this seems fairly straightforward, so like preventing a no deal, will the election be allowed or will it, as you put it, not be the responsible thing to do?
We shall see.
This no deal can't be an issue in the election as the notice requirements for an election mean that one cannot be held before the end of October. I suppose a no deal at the end of January could be proposed.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You really need to understand European history.
Thanks for your advice, but I already do, and that the reason I feel the way I do. You need to understand, that its just my opinion....as I said before its politics, and politics is always divisive....
Old Sep 29th 2019, 11:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, it's a grim thought that no one trusts Johnson, no PM has been lass successful than Johnson, but in an election tomorrow Johnson would likely win. Labour really has failed the nation by not getting rid of Corbyn and offering the voters a viable alternative to Johnson.
It's quite bizarre.

A marginally better leader and a cancel Brexit stance would sweep the Labour party in with a landslide.

I can't see where it will all end now. About 100 years ago the Labour party surpassed the Liberals as the new natural opposition- maybe we will see something new.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

The idea that things can be simple is a leaver fantasy "a clean break" is an expression they use for leaving. It can't be. If you want easy trade then you need not to have borders and you need common standards for everything, people can come and go freely so you need common documentation for them. Administrative convergence is inevitable but that doesn't mean cultural convergence; you still can't sell jellied eels or Marmite in Greece or Germany because, culturally, people are conditioned against loving these things.
I agree that a clean break is a tall order....the UK has been increasingly integrated and involved with the EU, but one can hope. However I am confused as to why you would you need common documentation for the UK to trade with the EU? ..... other countries that trade with each other don't have that.... NAFTA or what ever its new agreement is called, doesn't have and an agreement like that as far as I am aware? the US Canada and Mexico have no common laws, regulations currency open borders or documentation? but still have a good trade deal between the 3 countries?

The first company I worked for was and Engineering company who were manufacturers of pressure vessels, we would often make "tweaks" in the design of our vessels to satisfy French and German design code standards so we could sell to those countries, a common European standard makes everything a lot more convenient, like a common currency does, but its not a necessity to trade.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree that a clean break is a tall order....the UK has been increasingly integrated and involved with the EU, but one can hope. However I am confused as to why you would you need common documentation for the UK to trade with the EU? ..... other countries that trade with each other don't have that.... NAFTA or what ever its new agreement is called, doesn't have and an agreement like that as far as I am aware? the US Canada and Mexico have no common laws, regulations currency open borders or documentation? but still have a good trade deal between the 3 countries?

The first company I worked for was and Engineering company who were manufacturers of pressure vessels, we would often make "tweaks" in the design of our vessels to satisfy French and German design code standards so we could sell to those countries, a common European standard makes everything a lot more convenient, like a common currency does, but its not a necessity to trade.
Of course nations trade with no commonality, the EU trades with many nations. It's just easier if things are consistent. As the UK re-adopts imperial measures and LSD currency, trades will become more complicated. Pipes and fittings will all need adaptors. No one will understand our money. Goods will have to be repackaged at Rotterdam.

Common documentation of livestock is important as, without it, animals have to be inspected and certified at borders; that's where the mass slaughter of sheep comes into Brexit. Since a full set of common standards exists between the EU countries and the UK conforms at present it will be up to the UK to decide how far to diverge. I suppose a move to US gallons and 16oz pints might make sense, maybe Halal methods of slaughter, though all of these complicate trade with the EU. Other than that, I expect it'll be driven by bloody mindedness.

Common documentation of people, a shared passport, allows the absence of borders between nations; who now wants to have to buy a visa and go through an inspection just to go to France? It's a pita in going from Canada to the US.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 12:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

Johnson isn't just about Brexit, of course, steering government funds to an ineligible American he was bonking is more likely to bring him down.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:44 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;12742021
As the UK re-adopts imperial measures and LSD currency,......
I suppose a move to US gallons and 16oz pints might make sense, maybe Halal methods of slaughter....[/QUOTE]

Pheeeewww... I can breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Until now, I thought you were making serious arguments, but no longer,
Admit it, you're a closet Leaver, it's just that you don't want anyone to know.
Come join us, we live in a big tent.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 7:56 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...-plan-20325827

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Quite brilliant.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 9:04 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

If I manufacture and ship a product from Canada to the US, it still needs to meet all applicable US regulations, and be documented as doing so. Some of those regulations may be slightly different to Canadian ones. Common rules across multiple countries still need common documentation.

NAFTA (and its replacement CUSMA) is skewed in favor of the US. Within the EU, smaller countries are equal to the larger countries (a level playing field), and have a stronger voice in the making of those regulations.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
If I manufacture and ship a product from Canada to the US, it still needs to meet all applicable US regulations, and be documented as doing so. Some of those regulations may be slightly different to Canadian ones. Common rules across multiple countries still need common documentation.

NAFTA (and its replacement CUSMA) is skewed in favor of the US. Within the EU, smaller countries are equal to the larger countries (a level playing field), and have a stronger voice in the making of those regulations.
They have a stronger voice than non-EU countries but, insofar as most regulations are concerned, they do not have a veto so regulations can be enacted that are adverse to their interests.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The idea that things can be simple is a leaver fantasy "a clean break" is an expression they use for leaving. It can't be. If you want easy trade then you need not to have borders and you need common standards for everything, people can come and go freely so you need common documentation for them. Administrative convergence is inevitable but that doesn't mean cultural convergence; you still can't sell jellied eels or Marmite in Greece or Germany because, culturally, people are conditioned against loving these things.
The whole point of a trade agreement is to avoid the usual issues that arise when one crosses a border for the goods and services that are dealt with in the agreement. Freedom of travel of people is not necessarily tied to any such agreement. I appreciate that the EU allows such movement but, for example, Canada's agreement with the EU and TIPP does not allow for free movement of people.

Has anyone seriously suggested that citizens from the UK or the EU will require a visa for vacation travel between the two blocks?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:06 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The whole point of a trade agreement is to avoid the usual issues that arise when one crosses a border for the goods and services that are dealt with in the agreement. Freedom of travel of people is not necessarily tied to any such agreement. I appreciate that the EU allows such movement but, for example, Canada's agreement with the EU and TIPP does not allow for free movement of people.

Has anyone seriously suggested that citizens from the UK or the EU will require a visa for vacation travel between the two blocks?
Just putting on my AC hat for a moment, what do you think about the idea of US states and Canadian provinces restricting residency rights. Is there any reason that just because goods flow around the country people need to too?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I've seen it suggested, how seriously I don't know, I would believe pretty much anything of the Brexiteers, including a return to LSD and/or wide lapels.

I do understand that free movement of goods and of people are not tied to each other but they do relate; if, for example, you manufacture a product in the UK and want to sell it in the EU, there might be a need to provide supporting expertise, long or short term, for that product. That's much easier if there are no constraints on the movement of workers. Perhaps if one did not have ideal trading conditions today one might not introduce them. That's quite different from having such good conditions and choosing to give them up.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course nations trade with no commonality, the EU trades with many nations. It's just easier if things are consistent. As the UK re-adopts imperial measures and LSD currency, trades will become more complicated. Pipes and fittings will all need adaptors. No one will understand our money. Goods will have to be repackaged at Rotterdam.

Common documentation of livestock is important as, without it, animals have to be inspected and certified at borders; that's where the mass slaughter of sheep comes into Brexit. Since a full set of common standards exists between the EU countries and the UK conforms at present it will be up to the UK to decide how far to diverge. I suppose a move to US gallons and 16oz pints might make sense, maybe Halal methods of slaughter, though all of these complicate trade with the EU. Other than that, I expect it'll be driven by bloody mindedness.

Common documentation of people, a shared passport, allows the absence of borders between nations; who now wants to have to buy a visa and go through an inspection just to go to France? It's a pita in going from Canada to the US.
There is only one country that still wants to hold on to imperial measures....and it wont be the UK.

Common regulations makes things easier and convenient, but its not a huge hurdle to overcome.....as I said in the first company I worked for, we exported to many different countries, we changed our design accordingly....and usually it didnt differ too much , its just about convenience really, but the downside of having common rules and regulations can be more than losing some convenience. For example going back to the small manufacturing company I worked for as an example,.....if smaller companies are forced to adopt new European design regulations, they may not be able to afford the cost of doing so, before hand, they had a choice weather they wanted to build a pressure vessel to another design code. . I think some of the EU rules and regulations are not in interests of some EU countries, especially the smaller less wealthy countries, but are forced to adopt them anyway....it kind of goes back to my point about culture and economic differences between the EU counties, whats suits one country may not suit another.

As for needing a visa to visit France....thats never going to happen...passport yes, visa no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.