Please Remember

Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:41 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Remember

Originally Posted by bazzz
Well the police did hunt him down and threw him in jail, so it wasn't exactly within their rules.
Ah, so he really did just do a runner... I thought you'd said in an earlier post that what he had done took courage. Without meaning undue disrespect to your grandfather, the really courageous pacifists were those who actively declared their pacifism and were strong enough in their convictions to defend their position against family and neighbours, rather than run away from a call-up notice. Many served with distinction in civilian roles, from firemen and ambulance crews to farmers and civil servants, helping to allay the results of war without participating in the war itself.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:48 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Why not? I'm not sure if I buy this "just doing my job" argument. Does this mean you'll also be remembering all the German, Japanese and Italian soldiers that died in the wars as they too were only acting on instructions?
Remembrance day is not selective. It is also about reconciliation. Many lost their lives in the course of what they saw as duty, sure we remember them. Atrocities were committed, forget no, do we remember or forgive, that is an individual decision to make.

In the military there is not the luxury of choosing which causes are more noble than others, which 'job' is acceptable, there is a job to do. No time to debate the merits of each conflict or assault and see if everyone agrees. If a commander gives and order, that's what you do. Each service is subject to military law, which lays out duties, obligations & consequences.

Fortunately today's military is volunteer, if this is not acceptable to an individual they have a choice before joining.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:52 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Ah, so he really did just do a runner... I thought you'd said in an earlier post that what he had done took courage. Without meaning undue disrespect to your grandfather, the really courageous pacifists were those who actively declared their pacifism and were strong enough in their convictions to defend their position against family and neighbours, rather than run away from a call-up notice. Many served with distinction in civilian roles, from firemen and ambulance crews to farmers and civil servants, helping to allay the results of war without participating in the war itself.
I think they were after him because of the kind of material he was helping circulate.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Yes i was ignorant,but have since been educated,thanks to helpful members providing the info,which to my understanding is one of the functions of BE.
It also a sad fact of life that some members are rude and impolite, who's only source of communication is limited to name calling to any one that dosn't hold the same opinion as they do. If the truth be known i doubt if 50% of the people here know or knew THE true meening of Poppy Day. So to all of you name callers keep up the good old British tradition of rudeness and abuse that has made Britian so Great:curse:

This is very true of many conventions and rituals in every day life, so many simply accept without question.
Good on you for having the guts to ask the question.
We only learn through inquiry...naming calling does not aid the pursuit of knowledge.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
This is very true of many conventions and rituals in every day life, so many simply accept without question.
Good on you for having the guts to ask the question.
We only learn through inquiry...naming calling does not aid the pursuit of knowledge.
Thankyou,at least one person on here respects freedom of speach and opinion. I love you Will you marry me
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:22 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I can't remember a time when I didn't know what Remembrance Day was all about. Growing up as an Army brat it was pretty much a given. My grandfathers both fought in WW2, both in the Burma campaign; maternal grandfather was killed outside Rangoon, paternal grandfather was taken prisoner and worked on the Thai-Burma railway.

It all became rather more poignant when the father of one of my schoolfriends, one Col "H" Jones, was killed in the Falklands.

My school's chapel was on the (UK) first floor, reached via a stone staircase on the walls of which were carved the names of the hundreds of old boys who had been killed in both World Wars. As the senior trumpet-player in the school, I was asked to bugle the Last Post and the Reveille either side of the two minutes' silence at the Remembrance Sunday services. Even now, the memory of standing at the bottom of the staircase and calling the Last Post, to hear it reverberate around the memorial stairs, raises goosebumps.
My maternal Grandfather was a Prisoner of War of the Japanese in the Shamshupio Camp in Hong Kong, for three years, he was thrown out on the "scrap heap" of his dead colleagues four times and was rescued by his friends who discovered faint movements in his skeletal frame. When he came home from the war he weighed 4 stone!
He never spoke of the war and my mother and I have found out where he was kept prisoner and a lot of other devastating facts through a lot of research and the help of COFEPOW (Children and Families of Far Eastern Prisoners of War).

I wear my Poppy with pride in his memory and for those who fought and never returned.

Also in NI we Remember our loved ones murdered in "The Troubles" although some sections of our community claim it as a war -it wasn't, but they are remembered at the cenotaphs here as well. In our town we have services at both memorials as our wee town took heavy casualities during the troubles too.

This is the COFEPOW Remembrance verse:

We that are left grow old with the years
Remembering the heartache , the pain and the tears,
Hoping and praying that never again
Man will sink to such sorrow and shame
The price that was paid we will always remember
Every day, every month, not just in November
We Shall Remember Them.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

I too wear my poppy with pride. My grandfather was also a pacifist, but rather than run to the hills he worked as a medic, just refused to carry a weapon. Luckily for me, because I wouldn't be here, he survived.

IMHO there is a place in society for most of us, whom ether we are.

Lets just remember all of them, boys, girls, men, women, who give their lives, limbs or sanity for the rest of us, In which ever war or conflict they fought in.

Last edited by RodRos&Co.; Nov 8th 2007 at 10:39 pm. Reason: a little bit sexist :(
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Well i bought my poppy,i hope the money will be well spent..!!!!!

But now having read through all these posts,not just the ones that personly attacked me,but all the others where some one had a different point of view aswell. And can quite openly say i am ashamed to be British.
Did those brave men and women die so that some of you holyier than holy can attack another mans opinion and point of view regarding war,call him names and be down right rude. I think most of those dead soldiers(of which are both my grandfarthers,11uncle's,3 aunts,3 of my best chums(Falklands) and half a dozen other pals since) would turn in their graves if they could here some of you talk and fighting .
Respect another mans point of view,argue the point by allmeans but dont pick a fight and be rude.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Well i bought my poppy,i hope the money will be well spent..!!!!!
Don't worry about it Gremmie,
I have heard a lot of things about what happens to the money from the sale of poppys, some good some not so good!! but thats the way of the world.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

veengraham has a spectacular aura aboutveengraham has a spectacular aura aboutveengraham has a spectacular aura about

thanks Surrey Expat for the video
beautiful
vee
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:29 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping it at the top
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Keeping it at the top
Thread bumping is a capitol offence....i know cos Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink told me of once for doing it
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
My maternal Grandfather was a Prisoner of War of the Japanese in the Shamshupio Camp in Hong Kong, for three years, he was thrown out on the "scrap heap" of his dead colleagues four times and was rescued by his friends who discovered faint movements in his skeletal frame. When he came home from the war he weighed 4 stone!
He never spoke of the war and my mother and I have found out where he was kept prisoner and a lot of other devastating facts through a lot of research and the help of COFEPOW (Children and Families of Far Eastern Prisoners of War).

I wear my Poppy with pride in his memory and for those who fought and never returned.

Also in NI we Remember our loved ones murdered in "The Troubles" although some sections of our community claim it as a war -it wasn't, but they are remembered at the cenotaphs here as well. In our town we have services at both memorials as our wee town took heavy casualities during the troubles too.

This is the COFEPOW Remembrance verse:

We that are left grow old with the years
Remembering the heartache , the pain and the tears,
Hoping and praying that never again
Man will sink to such sorrow and shame
The price that was paid we will always remember
Every day, every month, not just in November
We Shall Remember Them.
Thanks for a lovely post!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:51 am
Banned

Thread bumping is a capitol offence....i know cos Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink told me of once for doing it
But this is in a good cause, so maybe we (I) will be forgiven until Sunday!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:56 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
But this is in a good cause, so maybe we (I) will be forgiven until Sunday!
I'm in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.