Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pit bulls and Rottweilers

Pit bulls and Rottweilers

Old Jul 30th 2016, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pit bulls and Rottweilers

Originally Posted by dave_j
What I've read here is a catalogue of descriptions of unpredictability by dogs and, if anything could have calmed me down when in the presence of unleashed dogs, this hasn't been it.

I don't ask owners not to exercise their animals, what I do ask is that they behave responsibly and spare a thought for others who may not be as confident about their pet's behaviour as they are.
If we all just stick to the rules it'll be ok! 😊
Old Jul 30th 2016, 3:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The people who own pit-bulls, rottweiler’s and other dangerous dogs are at the best irresponsible but more likely they're chavy scum lacking self-esteem and are just basically horrible aggressive and nasty people. They should ban all these viscous breeds and euthanize the ones that are left. It’s like owning a firearm, there's absolutely no reason for it in civil society. If you want to have a dog, get a cocker spaniel or if you want larger dog, get a golden retriever. Stop trying to justify these horrible breeds. ffs.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
..."my dog doesn't leave my side"...until the dog does leave the owners side...
Just like your computer always behaves very well and then it doesn't last night, hanging, never coming back and then telling you it's not genuine even though it is
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The people who own pit-bulls, rottweiler’s and other dangerous dogs are at the best irresponsible but more likely they're chavy scum lacking self-esteem and are just basically horrible aggressive and nasty people. They should ban all these viscous breeds and euthanize the ones that are left. It’s like owning a firearm, there's absolutely no reason for it in civil society. If you want to have a dog, get a cocker spaniel or if you want larger dog, get a golden retriever. Stop trying to justify these horrible breeds. ffs.
I hate them gooey dogs, they rub your legs and you're all slimy.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 12:05 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I hate them gooey dogs, they rub your legs and you're all slimy.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 9:41 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

So Stinks and I were out for a toddle in the Provincial Park next door. There was a young woman with what looked like a young pit bull- rightly it was leashed (as was Stinky as per regs) and I took him off the path so she could get by. She warned me that the dog "wasn't good with other dogs" as it snarled and barked at his nibs who was sat quietly in the shade having just had a roll in the dirt.

She was struggling to pull it back and keep control despite the leash. It was only a puppy, probably Staffie sized. It does always puzzle me why people buy this breed- the owner looked pleasant enough, she wasn't a rough-arse. She didn't look as if she was having any fun on her walk, I saw her back by the cars later, struggling.
When it becomes adult, she will not be able to control it. She couldn't take it to our local pet beach to cool off as it would go psycho. Why buy a pit bull? They are frequently aggressive even in seemingly good hands.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
So Stinks and I were out for a toddle in the Provincial Park next door. There was a young woman with what looked like a young pit bull- rightly it was leashed (as was Stinky as per regs) and I took him off the path so she could get by. She warned me that the dog "wasn't good with other dogs" as it snarled and barked at his nibs who was sat quietly in the shade having just had a roll in the dirt.

She was struggling to pull it back and keep control despite the leash. It was only a puppy, probably Staffie sized. It does always puzzle me why people buy this breed- the owner looked pleasant enough, she wasn't a rough-arse. She didn't look as if she was having any fun on her walk, I saw her back by the cars later, struggling.
When it becomes adult, she will not be able to control it. She couldn't take it to our local pet beach to cool off as it would go psycho. Why buy a pit bull? They are frequently aggressive even in seemingly good hands.
There is a petite woman who walks an enormous black dog around here. Whatever the weather she is usually wearing a tiny bikini top and a very, very short tight skirt...high platform shoes with the highest stilettos I have ever seen. (Looks like a hooker ) The dog literally drags her along. Gawd knows what would happen if the dog decided to run after something.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are stupid. We have an issue with a young teenager who walks an aggressive big dog round here. I see her coming and it has her all over the place. I have to change direction when I see her as her dog drags her over to mine... no control at all. Aside from that annoyance - where in God's name are the parents???
Old Aug 1st 2016, 12:22 am
I need a walk

Research suggests Labs bit the most people but GSDs bit the most Posties. Eliminate the dogs legislated under the Dangerous Dogs act and you will be left with the commonest breed causing the most bites, perhaps not surprising. GSDs have a tendency to "nip, grab and drag"as demonstrated in Siouxie's article posted , hence they are great for police work- and a Postie must be very tempting for the poor pups.. Not that I'm advocating canine violence and general naughtiness

Labrador dogs responsible for the most bite injury claims | UK | News | Daily Express

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 1st 2016 at 12:27 am.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Research suggests Labs bit the most people
Well, yes, but there are many more of them so that's not a helpful statistic.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:32 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, but there are many more of them so that's not a helpful statistic.
That's kind of what I was inferring......
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Siouxie's article...
I can't recall which article I saw but the dogs in question were responsible for a phenomenally high figure of attacks compared to others.

On the one hand there were likely fewer of them, making it even more remarkable but on the other hand, if that's what the owners want,then it may be...er policy?.....
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:43 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't recall which article I saw but the dogs in question were responsible for a phenomenally high figure of attacks compared to others.

On the one hand there were likely fewer of them, making it even more remarkable but on the other hand, if that's what the owners want,then it may be...er policy?.....
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here Bristol, I'm probably being thick..
The article that Siouxie indicated showed 56 attacks and 3 deaths. I think Golden retrievers were 11 attacks and 3 deaths. Either way, as I initially suggested and dbd reitterated, there are a hell of a lot more Labs than say Malamutes and therefore a lot more bites but half the number of deaths..
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Dog training classes should be compulsary, unless you can show that you have good control over the animal.

Don't any of these people even bother to read up on this stuff? Most aggressively acting dogs behavior is caused by nervous owners with too tight leashes and a dog that thinks it's the boss or that it has to protect them.

Sigh.

The dog that thinks I am her owner won't even walk through a door before me, let alone in front on me on leash!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 11:32 am
Oscar nominated

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here Bristol, I'm probably being thick..
The article that Siouxie indicated showed 56 attacks and 3 deaths. I think Golden retrievers were 11 attacks and 3 deaths. Either way, as I initially suggested and dbd reitterated, there are a hell of a lot more Labs than say Malamutes and therefore a lot more bites but half the number of deaths..
I dunno...the one I saw had a sort of top 20 and the ones at the lower end were a handfull - just four or five and then as you got higher up the list there were hundreds and then the top ones had thousands, literally.

Here it is....the slideshow from that article....just to illustrate the huge differences.
  • #1 - Pit Bull*
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 3,397
  • Deaths: 295
  • #2 - Rottweiler
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 535
  • Deaths: 85
  • #3 - German Shepherd
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 113
  • Deaths: 15
  • #6 - Boxer
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 64
  • Deaths: 7
  • #8 - Labrador Retriever
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 56
  • Deaths: 3
  • #31 - Beagle
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 4
  • Deaths: 1
  • #35 - Great Pyrenees
  • Attacks doing bodily harm: 4
  • Deaths: 1

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 1st 2016 at 11:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.