Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by not2old
just looked on the job centre website & OMG, what a load of crap, way too many things for free
Don't know how it works now but we had the most ridiculous targets. Brownie points were awarded for job starts no matter whether we'd contributed to that person's job start and there were no points where we might have made a meaningful, but less official contribution.

People in certain postcodes got priority because their points were doubled - deprived areas and all that, even though a few doors away or around the corner had a postcode of not a deprived area.

We were 'encouraged' (read told) to give grants so that in the event they did start work the department could be "shown" to be meeting targets.

A disgraceful waste of money, mostly, and of course people abused it, knowing the "encouragement" while the staff mostly went along with it. There was at least one exception who met enough other targets to keep management off his back.

DJ equipment paid for - well he was a DJ and might have got work as one.

bottle of expensive perfume - to improve her confidence

bicycle - this one wasn't so bad, it would get him to the industrial estate before the buses started.

clothes for the office less than a month after someone finished an office job - utterly ridiculous But their next temp job, double the points.

Then there is the 'New enterprise allowance' + continue to get JSA
Governments like things like this as they don't count in the unemployment stats.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your interest in the position of (removed)

After a thorough review of the background, skills and experience of all qualified applicants, we regret to inform you that we will be proceeding with candidates who better match the requirements of this position.

Again, thank you for your interest in a career with (removed).

Apparently 6 years of direct work experience in a job is insufficient.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2016 at 12:27 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

just looked on the job centre website & OMG, what a load of crap, way too many things for free, even after Cameron & Duncan Smith promised to stop all this

Funding for folks that want to take a 'Tattoo course'

Then there is the 'New enterprise allowance' + continue to get JSA

Not sure they would cover a tattoo course here, the papers the ministry sends us even though they know we have no kids, and are not single, mentions something about it having to be a course for an in demand job.

For what it's worth, attached is a redacted version of my resume, names and locations of companies removed but gives a basic idea, I have 3 versions of this one specific to hotels, one to airlines and this one which is slightly adjusted for jobs.
Attached Thumbnails Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.-screen-shot-resume.jpg  

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2016 at 4:09 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
For what it's worth, attached is a redacted version of my resume, names and locations of companies removed but gives a basic idea, I have 3 versions of this one specific to hotels, one to airlines and this one which is slightly adjusted for jobs.
A few cosmetics here and there, perhaps? Like thick lines, bullet points maybe?

Here's the one they did for my stepson. (surprised I still have it) There's not much 'history' since it was done soon after graduating. Work in 2013 was added later.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 18th 2016 at 9:05 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

On Tattoo's, maybe its a big business in the UK compared to Canada or the US?

At least getting a free paid for course while getting benefits + unemployment money can't be all that bad a thing, then when the 'Tattoo' course is finished, do a 'cosmetic' course. Lifetime student on benefits.

Bristol did you know that in the UK HE including university is no longer free, quite expensive, meaning that most students have to get a grant/student loan, which has to be paid back when the get a job & earn over a certain amount.

So, for someone over 60 they can go to University with a grant & never have to pay it back, reason being 'they will never work or earn the payback level income

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/overview
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:07 am
Oscar nominated

Bristol did you know that in the UK HE including university is no longer free, quite expensive, meaning that most students have to get a grant/student loan, which has to be paid back when the get a job & earn over a certain amount.
Yes, I've not been away that long.

When I was first dealing with students, they got grants and rent allowances (renamed as Housing Benefit) then mixture of grants and loans as the grants were whittled away and then loans only and no HB. (always exceptions, as in everything, of course)
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:16 am
Oscar nominated

As for Costco we don't have one in this city. Closest one is 30-35 mins away. I have applied in the past, competition seems stiff though which may explain why I have never had an interview.
Is 30-35 minutes commute so bad? Were you closer when applying in the past?

There's another thread (Toronto) where someone is used to an hour each way and would be happy for the same in Toronto - although that might only be a few hundred yards there from memory.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:21 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, I've not been away that long.

When I was first dealing with students, they got grants and rent allowances (renamed as Housing Benefit) then mixture of grants and loans as the grants were whittled away and then loans only and no HB. (always exceptions, as in everything, of course)
things are still good Bristol, maybe better than folks are aware of

I used me & the missus, both pensioners getting joint pension

I filled in the student calculator with the following result, I would get £17,200 on top of our old age pensions. £9000 would go to tuition fees, with the £8200 maintence loan, which wI would never ever pay back because I would never work.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-c...me/social-work

Wonder if we we could both go HE & double bang on the tuition subsidy?

Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I filled in the student calculator with the following result, I would get £17,200 on top of our old age pensions. £9000 would go to tuition fees, with the £8200 maintence loan, which wI would never ever pay back because I would never work.

I have no idea what this means.

What does it mean?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Students over 60 cannot apply for loans for living costs, so that's the £8200 gone.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/c...ltime-students

To be eligible for the tuition fee loan, you would have to be resident in the EU for the 3 years prior your course starting.

Yes, you and your wife could both study and be funded in the same way (provided you qualify on the basis of not having a degree already).
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:46 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by rebs
Students over 60 cannot apply for loans for living costs, so that's the £8200 gone.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/c...ltime-students

To be eligible for the tuition fee loan, you would have to be resident in the EU for the 3 years prior your course starting.

Yes, you and your wife could both study and be funded in the same way (provided you qualify on the basis of not having a degree already).
thanks, at least the student loan part would do it
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

thanks, well at least the student loan part would do it
What are you on about here?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:48 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BEVS
I have no idea what this means.

What does it mean?
Every time I see HE I think (H&E) Health and Efficiency magazine
As for the double bang, the mind boggles
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your interest in the position of (removed)

After a thorough review of the background, skills and experience of all qualified applicants, we regret to inform you that we will be proceeding with candidates who better match the requirements of this position.

Again, thank you for your interest in a career with (removed).

Apparently 6 years of direct work experience in a job is insufficient.
No it isn't. For whatever reason, they liked other candidates' experience/qualifications *as presented on their resumes* better than yours . Which is a bummer, I agree.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is 30-35 minutes commute so bad? Were you closer when applying in the past?

There's another thread (Toronto) where someone is used to an hour each way and would be happy for the same in Toronto - although that might only be a few hundred yards there from memory.

Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Negative Nellie here again - with apologies I realize that preferences/styles vary widely from province to province. However:

Your resume lost me (my interest) within the first few lines. Job/position/duties/skills/achievements should be up front & "jump out" at me.

Your "relevant experience" section is very vague & actually tells me nothing concrete, & doesn't inspire me to read down & find out what *actual* experience you have . To be brutally honest, it reads like a template.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.