Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...resume...checked over by the govt sponsored work center who are also the ones who helped create it.

How much of an expert or talent these folks have for resumes, I have no idea.
If you were to look at a non gov resume site, how would it compare?

I don't mean better or worse, just whether it's different. If it is different then it may not be quite right or maybe it was done with a particular job in mind or even a general resume and doesn't quite match a job you apply for as well as it might otherwise do.

My stepson went to one of those centres a few years ago. I had made up his resume based on my employment advisor training/knowledge back in the UK. They changed it.

The changes didn't sit well with me but I just decided they knew the Canadian side of things better than me.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 16th 2016 at 4:57 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Pay check to pay check ? It is called "Wage Slavery". The more erudite call it "Living as a Proletarian". Who said Marx and Engels got it wrong ?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like some, then nothing like others, really depends on the website.

The resume is tweaked for different jobs, but the base is the same, like for the airline jobs for example, I will take out most of the hotel stuff and replace with airline related experience and skills, and try and use key words the system might be looking for since nearly all jobs are likely being screened by computers first.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If you were to look at a non gov resume site, how would it compare?

I don't mean better or worse, just whether it's different. If it is different then it may not be quite right or maybe it was done with a particular job in mind or even a general resume and doesn't quite match a job you apply for as well as it might otherwise do.

My stepson went to one of those centres a few years ago. I had made up his resume based on my employment advisor training/knowledge back in the UK. They changed it.

The changes didn't sit well with me but I just decided they knew the Canadian side of things better than me.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:29 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Pay check to pay check ? It is called "Wage Slavery". The more erudite call it "Living as a Proletarian". Who said Marx and Engels got it wrong ?
The Paycheque to Paycheque ONES are likely the first at the gate to buy the iphone7 on credit

Same folks that keep on saying wages are not keeping up with expenses, yet have all the bells & whistles, latest gadgets, taking holidays, eating out, have cell phones, cable TV- because they believe these items are necessities
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably right. Apologies for yesterday if I caused offence, not intended, just being devils advocate on the options of returning to housing and benefits in UK.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:47 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
You're probably right. Apologies for yesterday if I caused offence, not intended, just being devils advocate on the options of returning to housing and benefits in UK.
goes right over me head, carry on

On those that live week-to-week, do you reckon most smart phone owners are living on the council estate?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
The Paycheque to Paycheque ONES are likely the first at the gate to buy the iphone7 on credit

Same folks that keep on saying wages are not keeping up with expenses, yet have all the bells & whistles, latest gadgets, taking holidays, eating out, have cell phones, cable TV- because they believe these items are necessities
Wages are not keeping up with cost of living especially the big essentials like housing and food.

Rents where I am have about doubled in the last 10 years, wages have moved very little, but nowhere close to increasing at a rate that can cover a doubling of rent.

If someone making 9/hr 10 years ago now makes 12/hr, do you honestly think they can absorb a doubling of rent?

For the record we do have a cell phone, $35/month but a phone is essential when looking for a job. A landline is $30 and some change, so having a cell phone does not mean one is paying massive money for it, nor is a landline always cheaper.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2016 at 7:15 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:16 am
Dichotomus tinker

@ post #277

Just to clarify, my post at #274 was not directed at you JS

I've witnessed it in real life & its all over the media about low wage earners or those on welfare need all of the best of everything 'shamless' I say

Last edited by not2old; Sep 16th 2016 at 7:19 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:18 am
Account Closed

@ post #277

Just to clarify, my posts at #274 are not directed at you JS
I know, I was talking in generic, the phone bit was just to show landlines are generally just as much as the low end cell phone plans...

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2016 at 7:21 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

goes right over me head, carry on

On those that live week-to-week, do you reckon most smart phone owners are living on the council estate?
I think it is a generational thing, not an affluence thing. Old people often don't know how to operate the most simplistic of phones, young people feel obliged to conform and buy the phone their mate has, a student I know, quite middle class, ate toast with mayonnaise for weeks, but had a new phone.

So not a council estate enigma, more an age thing.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:30 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I think it is a generational thing, not an affluence thing.

Old people often don't know how to operate the most simplistic of phones, young people feel obliged to conform and buy the phone their mate has, a student I know, quite middle class, ate toast with mayonnaise for weeks, but had a new phone.So not a council estate enigma, more an age thing.
As old as I am (going on 70) I'm doing my best (with all the yoof on BE wind-up's) trying to keep up here yorkie, well, trying to

In my yoof, it was lard on dry toast My goodness, "affluence" indeed -how things have progressed on the council estate to mayo on toast, most anyone can have a place at college, lifetime on benefits (from one to another), cell phones, electronic cigs, Irn Bru, takeaways & designer clothes

My sister was telling me that her unemployed grandson living in Merseyside was offered a job in Leeds & that the job centre paid for his train ticket to get to the interview... whatever next
Old Sep 16th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Mentioned above about the resume being checked over by someone, it's been checked over by the govt sponsored work center who are also the ones who helped create it.

How much of an expert or talent these folks have for resumes, I have no idea.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wonder if anyone here could take a look at it privately for you J.
Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Yeah I agree with this. It might be worth having someone else have a look, if anything just to get another opinion.

With the skills you have I do find it odd that you haven't even managed an interview... and the resume would be my guess.

I don't think you'd find any shortage of people here willing to help you out.
I believe we had this conversation before, and offers were made to help with the resume.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...grandson living in Merseyside was offered a job in Leeds & that the job centre paid for his train ticket to get to the interview... whatever next
I'd better not tell you of other job centre funding (personal knowledge) DJ equipment paid for; bottle of expensive perfume; bicycle; clothes for the office less than a month after someone finished an office job...hmmm...what others can I remember?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:09 am
Dichotomus tinker

just looked on the job centre website & OMG, what a load of crap, way too many things for free, even after Cameron & Duncan Smith promised to stop all this

Funding for folks that want to take a 'Tattoo course'

Then there is the 'New enterprise allowance' + continue to get JSA
Old Sep 16th 2016, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I believe we had this conversation before, and offers were made to help with the resume.
I cannot recall. Its possible, however I lack the memory to recall if I ever had anyone look it over. But if anyone does, I'll send a redacted copy.

(Redacted as in just exact employer names and locations changed to something generic, name and address removed, but everything else there.)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2016 at 10:08 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.