Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by not2old
You have issues with me?

I just don't give a crap, you get what it is that I -post.
She does have a valid point...your comment to Schnooks in post 215 was not called for.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
And with this type of glamourous view from the front door?

https://goo.gl/maps/BiQsriFFLy92

For me sinkhole estate living isn't high on my bucket list.

I think the lifestyle that you may have had post war on a council estate isn't quite as pleasant today on council estates.

The only thing that is missing, apart from the cars that have been nicked is the sign, the ultimate insult, NO BALL GAMES. Yes children, go inside, take drugs and condemn your life to PS4 and xbox! When the elecy has run out - smash the bus stop up.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:26 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
True, plenty of nice old fellas living on them, many bought their houses when Maggie was about. But, dog poo on the pavement, car nicked, cant go on holiday because locals rob your house, local doctors full of eastern Europeans, next door neighbours always having a row, pit bull constantly barks and barks, kids tell you to F-Off when you tell them off for breaking the bus stop windows for the fourth time this year.
I get its a wind-up & folks are having a poke at me, but that's OK

With the exception of the dogs, some, if not most of those things go on in the middle class neighbourhood around where I live now, more homicides here than the place than I grew up in the UK, even today.

My sister lives in the bought council house that I was raised in, its a nice quiet street & surrounding area, 50% council tenants all looking out for one another

Ok, perhaps a little over the top, but from my experience of someone that lived close enough to one for the past ten years, not far off.
are you a non-council estate posh expat that moved here from the better end of town?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:29 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She does have a valid point...your comment to Schnooks in post 215 was not called for.

shirtback quoted my post #226
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
The only thing that is missing, apart from the cars that have been nicked is the sign, the ultimate insult, NO BALL GAMES. Yes children, go inside, take drugs and condemn your life to PS4 and xbox! When the elecy has run out - smash the bus stop up.
I think you and have similar experiences of these communities which are a double oxymoron....housing estate.

Others may have lived in or known people in more disneyfied versions. I'm familiar with a number of these types of communities in the Greater Manchester area and I've yet to find one with many positives.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally I was brought up on a pit estate, but have worked hard for what I have and have no intention of returning to that life. I have plenty of friends that still do though, the pit estates were taken over by the local housing associations, they changed dramatically overnight, when everyone worked and kept each other alive down the pit, leaving your back door open was never a problem, strangers were spotted from a country mile away, some wifies worked but not many, so plenty of eyes on the estate. It was a safe environment. Only those that worked down the pit lived on the estate, everyone working, quite a rich environment to live. Fall out of line, lose your job, lose your lifestyle, house, friends.................long fall that.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Sep 15th 2016 at 8:42 am.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

shirtback quoted my post #226
And I quoted your post 215...
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

in a heartbeat .
I'm guessing more like Saturday Night And Sunday Morning than Heartbeat.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The point to unions is to improve working conditions and pay, min wage is pathetic for any union job and then to add in union dues on top.

Non-union places will pay you based on experience, where union jobs do not, so no matter how experienced you are, you still make the same as the person who is 18 and never worked.

I don't think min wage is acceptable pay for someone with 20 years of work experience.
Even if that someone has zero experience/is a total beginner in the job? Even if the pay scale for some jobs - which require little to no skills- never gets much higher than minimum wage, however experienced one might be?

I "kind of" get what you're saying, I think; however, I also think (from experience), that you might have over-optimistic expectations/ideas about unionized job take-home pay v non-unionized th pay...
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I have never seen colliers or the Irish chedder that cost-co stock at superstore, safeway etc and even if they did - I'm sure it would be 10 times the price for smaller amounts.
Another difference for different parts of Canada then. Colliers, Snowdonia and others of the type (not the full selection on their website) are regularly available in Sobeys and Superstore here.

The offer price is sometimes worth it but not the regular price.

I still swear by Cracker Barrel Reserve. It really is stronger than the ordinary slabs and there's a reason it's not displayed with the run of the mill cheeses.

These are good too.

Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Even if that someone has zero experience/is a total beginner in the job? Even if the pay scale for some jobs - which require little to no skills- never gets much higher than minimum wage, however experienced one might be?

I "kind of" get what you're saying, I think; however, I also think (from experience), that you might have over-optimistic expectations/ideas about unionized job take-home pay v non-unionized th pay...
Just proves I am an idiot, unskilled moron with no future. Apparently I was more skilled at 16 with 0 experience in anything considering I made more then min wage.

If 20 years work experience in a variety of fields means nothing to employers, then I stand 0 chance in this life.

FYI I have over 15 years of customer service experience, so I am not inexperienced for the job.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 15th 2016 at 11:25 am.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:21 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

I buy a block of cheddar (Colliers, Snowdonia, whatever) and I eat it, it doesn't go off. It's cheaper than the grocery store and I like their selection of cheddars - and other cheeses.

+1 - best selection of cheese and good prices as I discussed previously about Colliers price in Tesco in the UK - Safeway selection is a pile of poo compared to Cost Cpo
Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:26 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Just proves I am an idiot, unskilled moron with no future.
If 20 years work experience in a variety of fields means nothing to employers, then I stand 0 chance in this life.
FYI I have over 15 years of customer service experience, so I am not inexperienced for the job.
That's a valuable skill, but doesn't automatically mean a good wage. It's like finding a good deal on a house for rent, it can take years. If applying and being rejected is getting you down try all the temporary slots you might fit, part time too. I know people who've taken temp jobs and then gotten on full time in decent positions when they proved out. There's a wildlife rescue worker job that looks like it could be interesting.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
That's a valuable skill, but doesn't automatically mean a good wage. It's like finding a good deal on a house for rent, it can take years. If applying and being rejected is getting you down try all the temporary slots you might fit, part time too. I know people who've taken temp jobs and then gotten on full time in decent positions when they proved out. There's a wildlife rescue worker job that looks like it could be interesting.

JS, I'm not quite sure how you extrapolated 'idiot unskilled moron with no future' from my (& others') previous posts. If you're applying for CS agent type jobs, in retail/hospitality, it's highly unlikely you'll be offered much over the minimum (for your neck of the woods) salary, unless you're applying for supervisory & above positions, where you might have a *little* bit of leeway to negotiate according to your experience.

It's not *you*, it's the jobs/industries.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I do try temp agencies but I have not had any luck with one yet, but I do try them. Been sending resumes to and calling temp agencies for about a decade now. Time to time I get called to come in and take a test for some positions, but I never seem to get an actual job out of it all...lol

I have no confidence or self esteem, never have and likely never will, so each rejection kills what little I have left and sends me into a mental health crises.

But gotta have a good income to afford mental health treatment, at least for borderline, 1,000 or so per month, and while we have extended medical, they cap mental health at 500/yr.

Originally Posted by caretaker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.