Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was reminded earlier in another thread of your "snootiness" for cheese (Alan, I believe) but even you have admitted previously that they are better.
Yes, those are the better widely available flat slab cheeses. I'd rather go and buy better cheese for sandwiches and such but either of them is fine in a fajita.

Note that I meant they sell in huge volume overall, not that the individual packages are huge.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:49 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
could it be that you have too much disposable income compared to other folks on BE?

Practical view, costco is not cheap when comparing price match shopping

Folks will tell you, 'costco is where its at, so naff off'
Not even going to address the first part.

Costco *IS* cheaper in some areas, I even quoted some examples of where it is and is not cheaper. I don't shop exclusively at Costco, but I do get a lot of stuff there. I have yet to find 4L bags of PurFilter milk that beats Costco's price - Costco charges $4.79, most of the grocery stores have it as $5.99 and up. And that's the PurFilter stuff. I think the normal milk goes for $3.99 for the 4L bag.

But not everything is cheaper. Diapers are cheaper elsewhere if you find them on sale. I'm just sticking to Costco at this point because the Kirkland brand fits Baby Schnooks well. And since the price is at least comparable (roughly 20c per diaper) I just pick them up while I'm there. (And on a separate note, the really big boxes are useful around the house.)

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Colliers is 450grams that's a normal size cheese and its from Wales.

It is is most definitely one of the better cheeses because its not been produced in Canada!
I like the Colliers cheese. They occasionally carry Snowdonia Black Bomber Cheedar, which I've linked to before. Sooooo delicious.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

Costco *IS* cheaper in some areas, I even quoted some examples of where it is and is not cheaper. I don't shop exclusively at Costco, but I do get a lot of stuff there. I have yet to find 4L bags of PurFilter milk that beats Costco's price - Costco charges $4.79, most of the grocery stores have it as $5.99 and up.
"Costco *IS* cheaper in some areas" - as for $1 saving on the Milk, most everything else in small quantities is more expensive compared to price match shopping, so $1 savings, $5 more on a grocery basket compared to going to ONE other store on a price match

As for 'cheese selection' and/or the price of it - sure you can buy one or two weeks worth of cheese of the same brand at other grocery stores.

If someone is saying Costco is definitely better & cheaper than a shop at regular stores, its not true, well at least compared to the way that I shop

The closest Costco is 13 KM from where I live, so its not a go to, even if the membership was 'no cost to me' through a works/office or relative freebie.

As for six lettuce or a case of soda pop, such a waste.

To each their own, on numbers alone, I just don't get the Costco shopping waste or bulk
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:33 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

I like the Colliers cheese. They occasionally carry Snowdonia Black Bomber Cheedar, which I've linked to before. Sooooo delicious.
Yes I tried the Snowdonia - very nice but very rich - they have that in in the winter usually at the downtown Vancouver cost-co
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:36 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

As for 'cheese selection' and/or the price of it - sure you can buy one or two weeks worth of cheese of the same brand at other grocery stores.

I have never seen colliers or the Irish chedder that cost-co stock at superstore, safeway etc and even if they did - I'm sure it would be 10 times the price for smaller amounts.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

"Costco *IS* cheaper in some areas" - as for $1 saving on the Milk, most everything else in small quantities is more expensive compared to price match shopping, so $1 savings, $5 more on a grocery basket compared to going to ONE other store on a price match

If someone is saying Costco is definitely better & cheaper than a shop at regular stores, its not true, well at least compared to the way that I shop

The closest Costco is 13 KM from where I live, so its not a go to, even if the membership was 'no cost to me' through a works/office or relative freebie.

As for six lettuce or a case of soda pop, such a waste.

To each their own, on numbers alone, I just don't get the Costco shopping waste or bulk
Are you being deliberately obtuse/obnoxious, Not2old?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I think he grew up in the Depression of the 1930s.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:34 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Costco is cheaper if you can buy in bulk, and if you'll actually use it. For me, six lettuce is not a waste, because my family will eat six heads before it goes off. It doesn't get wasted.

Fine, you don't drink soft drinks. I like the occasional one, so I buy them on sale. I don't spend more than $3.60 or so on a 12-pack (regular price $5.99). We like having soft drinks occasionally. And I don't get my soft drinks at Costco, mainly because I don't like their selection. I get it from the grocery store, I use Flipp to find out who has a sale on.

I buy a block of cheddar (Colliers, Snowdonia, whatever) and I eat it, it doesn't go off. It's cheaper than the grocery store and I like their selection of cheddars - and other cheeses.

I don't buy everything at Costco - particularly produce. The quantities are too big and I *DON'T* get through it all before it goes off. I can't buy a bag of 20 onions and finish them, even if they are cheaper on a per-onion basis. We do eat a LOT of berries, though, and berries are WAY cheaper there. (The kidlet would eat an entire bucket of blueberries on her own if I left her to it.)

Once again. It's cheaper for some things, and not for others. It depends how you eat, how you shop, and how many people you're feeding.

BTW, Halloween candy is cheaper at Costco. This mix - http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nestl-fa.../6000196194456 - 100 bars for $17 at WalMart, 120 bars for about $14-15 at Costco.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:41 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you go in without a membership to get at the corned beef sandwiches the guard at the door will only chase you a little way because she can't leave her post. If there are 3 of you the first 2 can blow by her then when she holds you up just say you're going to go bring the other 2 back. It may not work every time but it did once.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think that? One has to start somewhere...

Unionised jobs here, even at close to minimum wage, include access to benefits that non-unionised jobs don't: enhanced healthcare; job protection; education/study for free/low cost; incremental fixed pay rises; etc...
The point to unions is to improve working conditions and pay, min wage is pathetic for any union job and then to add in union dues on top.

Non-union places will pay you based on experience, where union jobs do not, so no matter how experienced you are, you still make the same as the person who is 18 and never worked.

I don't think min wage is acceptable pay for someone with 20 years of work experience.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:53 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

You have issues with me?

I just don't give a crap, you get what it is that I post.

Originally Posted by Oink
I think he grew up in the Depression of the 1930s.
There is a hint of truth to that, its ingrained & handed down from my pre-depression born & raised parents, my Edwardian grandparents & likely from post-war life on a UK council estate. Happy times all round.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

You have issues with me?

I just don't give a crap, you get what it is that I post.

There is a hint of truth to that, its ingrained & handed down from my pre-depression born & raised parents, my Edwardian grandparents & likely from post-war life on a UK council estate. Happy times all round.
Those were the days eh, when those that lived on council estates once worked!

Nothing stolen, no anti-social issues, just honest working families....bet you wouldn't live on one now!
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:08 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Those were the days eh, when those that lived on council estates once worked!

Nothing stolen, no anti-social issues, just honest working families....bet you wouldn't live on one now!

in a heartbeat, poor lad returns after 50 years in Canada, especially at 70 years of age, destitute, turn up in rags, free housing, no TV licence, topped up benefits, social care & support, free travel pass, end of day specials at most grocery stores - with money left over to travel abroad.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

in a heartbeat, poor lad returns after 50 years in Canada, especially at 70 years of age, destitute, turn up in rags, free housing, no TV licence, topped up benefits, social care & support, free travel pass, end of day specials at most grocery stores - with money left over to travel abroad.
True, plenty of nice old fellas living on them, many bought their houses when Maggie was about. But, dog poo on the pavement, car nicked, cant go on holiday because locals rob your house, local doctors full of eastern Europeans, next door neighbours always having a row, pit bull constantly barks and barks, kids tell you to F-Off when you tell them off for breaking the bus stop windows for the fourth time this year.

Ok, perhaps a little over the top, but from my experience of someone that lived close enough to one for the past ten years, not far off.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

And with this type of glamourous view from the front door?

https://goo.gl/maps/BiQsriFFLy92

For me sinkhole estate living isn't high on my bucket list.

I think the lifestyle that you may have had post war on a council estate isn't quite as pleasant today on council estates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.