Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

passport: going into the UK

passport: going into the UK

Old Sep 6th 2022, 4:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport: going into the UK

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm puzzlled - whats the benefit of entering UK on a British Passport? Canadian passports can (or could last time I travelled) use the same e-gates as UK passports. So no difference there.
I'm a British person entering Britain. Why would I pose as a foreigner?
Old Sep 8th 2022, 11:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm a British person entering Britain. Why would I pose as a foreigner?
Well that's all very gammon of you, blue passports, rah rah rah, but for all practical purposes, entering UK on a Canadian passport is exactly the same in terms of process, time taken etc than a UK passport if you use the e-gates.
Prior to Canadian passports being acceptable for e-gates, I did exactly the same - entered UK on my UK passport and returned to Canada on my Canadian passport. I still carry both just in case but could travel just as conveniently on just my Canadian one.
Old Sep 8th 2022, 12:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Not wishing to be overly rude, but I don't believe the proof of three shots to be entered into ArriveCAN to be true. I just checked and I only see it asking you which vaccine type you received for your first shot, then a question asking if you have received a second shot, and answering Yes will allow you to enter the details of the second shot. There is nothing displayed mentioning any further shots.
While I can certainly agree with the slight inconvenience of using ArriveCAN (apparently you can use the website to add the information as opposed to the app) and the horror that awaits when you get to T3, what I don't agree with is misinformation about what proof of vaccination is needed when coming back into Canada.
Proof of vaccination is needed isn't it? Not 3 shots but the original 2.

I went to Vegas recently and had to upload the actual certificate with the airlines prior for approval.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 8th 2022 at 1:24 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2022, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's all very gammon of you, blue passports, rah rah rah, but for all practical purposes, entering UK on a Canadian passport is exactly the same in terms of process, time taken etc than a UK passport if you use the e-gates.
Prior to Canadian passports being acceptable for e-gates, I did exactly the same - entered UK on my UK passport and returned to Canada on my Canadian passport. I still carry both just in case but could travel just as conveniently on just my Canadian one.
My British passport is pink and, I suppose, using it is just habit from when it mattered. I was in a dilemma in CH this time though, it's kind of embarrassing to be associated with the Brexiters so I very nearly used a Canadian passport.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Wtf, how'd you get a pink passport?
Old Sep 10th 2022, 10:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
Wtf, how'd you get a pink passport?
I looked hard at the issuing officer, I smiled wryly and winked. That I was in a leopard print dress likely helped.

That, or they're all pink until they expire and you have to take a blue one.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly the last Covid shot has to be within 12 months of travel to Canada.
Old Sep 11th 2022, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I looked hard at the issuing officer, I smiled wryly and winked. That I was in a leopard print dress likely helped.

That, or they're all pink until they expire and you have to take a blue one.
Ah, alright, you mean the burgundy ones, thought you were referring to some obscure emergency passport but they white afaik
Old Sep 14th 2022, 3:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confirm again, no problems for me entering my Canadian passport details for online check-in, and actually using my British passport at the e-gates at LGW, and then using Canadian passport on the trip back to enter canada. This was outbound monday 5th / tuesday 6th (late flight monday) and inbound monday 12th.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 3:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Just to confirm again, no problems for me entering my Canadian passport details for online check-in, and actually using my British passport at the e-gates at LGW, and then using Canadian passport on the trip back to enter canada. This was outbound monday 5th / tuesday 6th (late flight monday) and inbound monday 12th.
You can (or at least you could last September when I last did it) use your Canadian passport at the e-gate at LGW/LHR as well. So you don't actually need your UK passport to have the same convenience.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 6:44 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

You can (or at least you could last September when I last did it) use your Canadian passport at the e-gate at LGW/LHR as well. So you don't actually need your UK passport to have the same convenience.
Very true. My girlfriend had no problem using her brand new, never used before, Canadian passport when we got to LGW. She was quite shocked about how efficient the e-gate was, and asked "is that it?" in regards to getting through border control

I could have done the same thing, but, well, for some reason I wanted to use my UK one. I'm slightly odd
Old Sep 15th 2022, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a source on the "last shot within 12 months of entering Canada"? Last time I travelled it was 2 doses, no time limit. I don't ever remember reading anything in the news or on the government website indicating that's changed.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 12:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Does anyone have a source on the "last shot within 12 months of entering Canada"? Last time I travelled it was 2 doses, no time limit. I don't ever remember reading anything in the news or on the government website indicating that's changed.
My post #22. I entered 2 weeks ago. No Covid testing. Last Covid shot must be within 12 mths of entering. ArriveCan must be completed before you check in.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My post #22. I entered 2 weeks ago. No Covid testing. Last Covid shot must be within 12 mths of entering. ArriveCan must be completed before you check in.
Who told you that? The CBSA officer? If so, they were misinformed.

As per gov of Canada:

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

• have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
    • or at least 1 dose of the Janssen Jcovden (Johnson & Johnson, Ad26.COV2.S (JNJ-78436735)) vaccine
  • have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
    • Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
    • this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses
  • have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have ArriveCAN receipt with letter A, I, or V beside your name by uploading proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN
You must have received at least 2 doses of an accepted vaccine, or a mix of 2 accepted vaccines, or at least 1 dose of the Janssen Jcovden (Johnson & Johnson, Ad26.COV2.S (JNJ-78436735)) vaccine to qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller and be allowed to enter Canada.

No mention of 3rd or 4th doses being required, or of timeline of doses.

Someone who was vaccinated with 2 doses in early 2021 should still be good to go for travel.