Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Uk Pension - bereavement benefits

Uk Pension - bereavement benefits

Old Sep 11th 2022, 8:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uk Pension - bereavement benefits

Quick question, a simple yes or no will suffice.

We are currently in the process of paying up our NI contributions. If my hubby pegs it, will I be entitled to the Widow pension (it's got a new name). If not we may not top his UK pension up, just put the extra into a TSA or something.

Cheers Ears.
Old Sep 12th 2022, 10:11 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Pension - bereavement benefits

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

We are currently in the process of paying up our NI contributions. If my hubby pegs it, will I be entitled to the Widow pension (it's got a new name). If not we may not top his UK pension up, just put the extra into a TSA or something.

Cheers Ears.
according to this, yes
https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...claim-benefits
Old Sep 12th 2022, 10:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Old Sep 13th 2022, 1:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Ears.
Originally Posted by bats
There have been too many changes for me to answer so I left it, thinking Christmasoompa was likely more up to date, but since a link was posted I had a look.

Under Bereavement Benefits it says if you're already getting it you continue to do so. For new claims you either need to be in an EEA country or certain other countries which don't include Canada.

The old situation where a wife could "do better" with a state pension based on the husband's NI record was ended some years ago I think and it's now based on the individual's record only. Unless this applies

But depending on your age there may be something available from Canada. I got Survivors Allowance (part of OAS rules) at age 60 for example.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There have been too many changes for me to answer so I left it, thinking Christmasoompa was likely more up to date, but since a link was posted I had a look.

Under Bereavement Benefits it says if you're already getting it you continue to do so. For new claims you either need to be in an EEA country or certain other countries which don't include Canada.

The old situation where a wife could "do better" with a state pension based on the husband's NI record was ended some years ago I think and it's now based on the individual's record only. Unless this applies

But depending on your age there may be something available from Canada. I got Survivors Allowance (part of OAS rules) at age 60 for example.

Thank you. I looked at the same list as you, where Canada was missing.

I think we will continue with getting our NI up to date anyway. Hopefully hubs will get a kidney and survive, in which case it's likely we will return to England. Ontario is getting further and further out of reach anyway. Hubs will win that argument.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 1:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I looked at the same list as you, where Canada was missing.

I think we will continue with getting our NI up to date anyway. Hopefully hubs will get a kidney and survive, in which case it's likely we will return to England. Ontario is getting further and further out of reach anyway. Hubs will win that argument.
I’ve been reading your posts, but so far haven’t commented.

I can’t begin to imagine what you are going through. Hopefully your husband will receive a new kidney and you will return ’home’.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 12:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is on the list.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Canada is on the list.
I don't see it in that link

Countries outside the EEA

You may also be able to claim bereavement benefits in some countries outside the EEA.

Bereavement Support Payment:
  • Barbados
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Channel Islands
  • Israel
  • Jamaica
  • Kosovo
  • Macedonia
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • the Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA
Old Sep 14th 2022, 2:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bats is going by the link she posted, Canada's on that list but that's only for some payments (due to the UK/Canada social security agreement). The page specifically for bereavement benefits confirms that people in Canada aren't eligible for that payment.
https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ement-benefits

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 14th 2022 at 2:20 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 12:53 am

I don't see it in that link

That's the list I found. There is another list for pensions that Canada is on.

Old Sep 15th 2022, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I’ve been reading your posts, but so far haven’t commented.

I can’t begin to imagine what you are going through. Hopefully your husband will receive a new kidney and you will return ’home’.
thank you.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 9:38 pm
Oscar nominated

That's the list I found. There is another list for pensions that Canada is on.
Yes but Pensions aren't Bereavement Benefits. Spouse summed it up well.

The various widows allowances and pensions moved under the bereavement benefits umbrella and there were a few changes to the pensions system too.

If you've paid in for the state retirement pension - as you are doing with the voluntary contributions on top of what you paid before leaving the UK - you can claim that in Canada (frozen) but not the bereavement benefits.

Old Sep 15th 2022, 11:54 pm

Yes but Pensions aren't Bereavement Benefits. Spouse summed it up well.

The various widows allowances and pensions moved under the bereavement benefits umbrella and there were a few changes to the pensions system too.

If you've paid in for the state retirement pension - as you are doing with the voluntary contributions on top of what you paid before leaving the UK - you can claim that in Canada (frozen) but not the bereavement benefits.
Yes. That is what I deduced.