Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

passport: going into the UK

passport: going into the UK

Old Aug 18th 2022, 9:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default passport: going into the UK

we are going on hols for 10 days end September.

can we still enter using a British passport & leave using a Canadian passport?

anyone done this recently within the last 12 mths - suggestions/advice?

Old Aug 18th 2022, 10:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport: going into the UK

Originally Posted by not2old

Yes I have. No problem at all. Give the airline your Canadian passport details and show that passport to the airline just save the UK one for going into the UK. Have a great time
Old Aug 19th 2022, 1:15 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Just echoing bats comment. Use Canadian passport when you check in, use British passport when you go through passport control in the UK, and use Canadian passport on the way back into Canada. I had no problems when I was back in the UK a couple of weeks ago. The only annoyance was the massive line and wait time to get to a border officer in T3 at pearson airport.
Old Aug 19th 2022, 1:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

thank you both for your replies, it's what we shall do.
Old Aug 19th 2022, 8:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this today. Arrived, from Switzerland, on a British passport, left on a Canadian one.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 6:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

double posting this here as well as on the UK forum in Rovers Return, any help would be appreciated.

I shall be travelling to the UK for a short visit end of September.

as a dual citizen UK/Cdn, I presumably don't need a visa if I enter using Canadian Passport or proof of COVID vaccine?.

however from what I've been reading British Passport holders enter Canada (those that are not Canadian citizens/PR) are required to have a Eta visa.

Govt of Canada *travel advice/advisory* website seem to be *pushing* travellers to get additional recommended COVID vaccine doses.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-kingdom

my question: if I dont have the booster shots will this be an issue entering the UK on a Canadian or British passport?

Last edited by not2old; Aug 21st 2022 at 6:09 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 8:46 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

double posting this here as well as on the UK forum in Rovers Return, any help would be appreciated.

as a dual citizen UK/Cdn, I presumably don't need a visa if I enter using Canadian Passport or proof of COVID vaccine?.

however from what I've been reading British Passport holders enter Canada (those that are not Canadian citizens/PR) are required to have a Eta visa.

Govt of Canada *travel advice/advisory* website seem to be *pushing* travellers to get additional recommended COVID vaccine doses.

my question: if I dont have the booster shots will this be an issue entering the UK on a Canadian or British passport?

Do you have both UK and Canadian passports, in other words, are you a dual citizen? If so I'd suggest that when in Canada you check in for the flight (online or at the check in desk) using your Canadian passport. When you land in the UK, use your UK passport to enter. When you're flying back you *must* use your Canadian passport, so you'd need to check in using it when in the UK.

I am pretty certain you do not need a vis to enter the UK on a Canadian passport, you could check here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
In regards to proof of vaccination for entering the UK, I would suggest having a copy of your vaccination certificate, be it digital or printed out, you'd need it added to ArriveCAN for entry back into Canada.

At present I believe for entering the UK and Canada you are considered "Fully Vaccinated" if you have had "Primary series – Two intramuscular doses of 30 mcg given three weeks (21 days) apart." of an approved vaccine, that was certainly the case three to four weeks ago when I travelled to the UK and back to Canada, and from I can tell that has not changed in the past four weeks since I travelled from Canada to the UK and back.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 10:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

@sharkus post#7 thank you.
Old Aug 21st 2022, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to the UK, entered on a British passport, no questions about vaccination, no questions at all. I then entered Canada on a Canadian passport, proof of three shots required, has to be entered into the awful ArriveCan application. I suppose that, if you don't have a phone, you can't come. Airport procedures in Canada still manual, still involves chaos because no one knows that they're supposed to be holding their entry form in their mouth. I'll die before the Canadian customs people realize that they don't need to create all this confusion and aggression.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I just went to the UK, entered on a British passport, no questions about vaccination, no questions at all. I then entered Canada on a Canadian passport, proof of three shots required, has to be entered into the awful ArriveCan application. I suppose that, if you don't have a phone, you can't come. Airport procedures in Canada still manual, still involves chaos because no one knows that they're supposed to be holding their entry form in their mouth. I'll die before the Canadian customs people realize that they don't need to create all this confusion and aggression.
Well on the plus side at least now Canada’s love of bureaucracy is becoming internationally famous.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 12:57 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by dbd33
...proof of three shots required, has to be entered into the awful ArriveCan application.
Not wishing to be overly rude, but I don't believe the proof of three shots to be entered into ArriveCAN to be true. I just checked and I only see it asking you which vaccine type you received for your first shot, then a question asking if you have received a second shot, and answering Yes will allow you to enter the details of the second shot. There is nothing displayed mentioning any further shots.
While I can certainly agree with the slight inconvenience of using ArriveCAN (apparently you can use the website to add the information as opposed to the app) and the horror that awaits when you get to T3, what I don't agree with is misinformation about what proof of vaccination is needed when coming back into Canada.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 1:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

@sharkus & dbd33 appreciate the feedback & discussion.

here is my recent ArriveCan experience doing a day road trip to the USA.

for the first time I filled in the on-line on my computer the ArriveCan forms, a PITA.

on the way back I asked the CBSA person if they needed to see our vaccine certificates, response was no because they're in the system.

just on COVID was asked if we were double vaccinated, if we'd been sick or had symptoms.

I then asked do we need to fill in the 10 or so pages each time, again the response was "no since proof of 2 vaccines was already in the system, next time it should take a couple minutes with some yes/no questions"

for our trip to the UK in September, 24 hrs before leaving the UK to come back to Canada we'll do the on-line computer form filling exercise .... we don't have smart phones.

and for sure that we have printed out proof of COVID vaccinations.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by sharkus
Not wishing to be overly rude, but I don't believe the proof of three shots to be entered into ArriveCAN to be true. I just checked and I only see it asking you which vaccine type you received for your first shot, then a question asking if you have received a second shot, and answering Yes will allow you to enter the details of the second shot. There is nothing displayed mentioning any further shots.
While I can certainly agree with the slight inconvenience of using ArriveCAN (apparently you can use the website to add the information as opposed to the app) and the horror that awaits when you get to T3, what I don't agree with is misinformation about what proof of vaccination is needed when coming back into Canada.
Well, to be precise it was in February that I asked the authorities how many shots were needed to get into Canada. The answer then was three so I entered the three into ArriveCan and travelled in March. This time around the vaccination information was already in the ArriveCan application so I didn't have to update it. It may be that the rules have changed and only one shot is needed now or it may be that the app is a bit crap and there's only an edit for one shot even though three are required.

It hardly matters though, people who are inclined to be vaccinated will likely have has three shots, people who oppose vaccination won't have had any. People who have had one only must be as rare as people who use improbable pronouns on work email.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 9:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I did in June.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 12:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm puzzlled - whats the benefit of entering UK on a British Passport? Canadian passports can (or could last time I travelled) use the same e-gates as UK passports. So no difference there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.