Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Our sensitive cousins to the south of us.

Our sensitive cousins to the south of us.

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our sensitive cousins to the south of us.

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If I'm not mistaken, it's a law in the US that if you are a US citizen you MUST enter/leave the US using your US passport.
There is.

I don't have a Canadian passport, as I am only a permanent resident, so only passport I have is US so no worries for me.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Unless a history buff who has spent a lot of time learning on one's own about history and doing major research at the university level, history is not a subject schools spend a ton of time on, they gloss quickly over it and only point out major events.
It's always geography that gets me, I have family who live in California, anyway one of them told me in school they spent a lesson on the UK and the teacher didn't have a clue about it and she had to keep correcting her.

And there was that soccer game the other day and some enterprising reporter decided to ask the crowd if they knew where Belgium is, and virtually nobody did.

Ah yes, that titan of countries... that king among kingdoms... (because only a country like that could possibly beat the US at anything)... BELGIUM. I wondered how many minds the reporter would have blown if she'd pointed out that Belgian waffles aren't actually Belgian.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Possibly because you're too young to have a license and own a car? Sorry, couldn't resist

We've been across twice, had the car emptied once. They were actually friendlier the time they emptied the car. I'm vaguely interested to try it with a Canadian passport now I have one.
Were they friendly enough to put it back the way they found it?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Were they friendly enough to put it back the way they found it?
Actually yes. I'd heard horror stories to the contrary from others though.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Actually yes. I'd heard horror stories to the contrary from others though.
Wow, that's a change... Nice to hear
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Belgian waffles aren't actually Belgian.
Neither are Belgian buns. The Belgians call that particular pastry a "round swiss (bun)". I wonder what the Swiss call it. A British bun?
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god the 24th of August is on a Sunday so no diplomatic incident will take place that day though I can't promise anything won't transpire on the 22nd or 25th.
British troops set fire to the White House — History.com This Day in History — 8/24/1814
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's always geography that gets me, I have family who live in California, anyway one of them told me in school they spent a lesson on the UK and the teacher didn't have a clue about it and she had to keep correcting her.

And there was that soccer game the other day and some enterprising reporter decided to ask the crowd if they knew where Belgium is, and virtually nobody did.

Ah yes, that titan of countries... that king among kingdoms... (because only a country like that could possibly beat the US at anything)... BELGIUM. I wondered how many minds the reporter would have blown if she'd pointed out that Belgian waffles aren't actually Belgian.
Geography was cut out of a lot of curriculum back in the 80's and 90's and some till spend little if any time on it. It was a big issue when I was in high school in the mid to late 90's, they basically cut back to just english, math, science, and PE with a handful of short 1 semester classes for other things.

I can't recall any in-depth geography lessons in any grade. I can't name every country in the world, and can't point out the exact location of every country, but I can do the majors, and get pretty close to the right part of the world for most unless its a small obscure rarely heard of place.

Teachers based on my 12 years of California education experience, rarely are well versed in all the subjects they are expected to teach. I had math teachers who couldn't understand math well enough to teach it, science teachers who never taught science or even education in the sciences, Spanish teacher who wasn't fluent in Spanish, an English teacher who taught PE for 34 years and was displaced when they cut the PE department so she ended up teaching English and really had no idea what she was doing.

My high school was a 2 tier school, those who tested high on Achievement Tests with good grades and good chance at college acceptance were placed into the better classes and better performing teachers, and those who scores lower, and less likely to be accepted into a college ended up in the basic general education classes to meet state graduation requirements, but they were no concerned with the bottom half actually learning anything, the school just wanted to say they had a high completion rate and low drop out rate.

My school in 1st to 6th was an experimental school, the experiment failed and was never taken into other schools and dropped eventually, but my entire 1st to 6th grade was a big experiment but the learning results were poor, and I am sure many students suffered as a result.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If I'm not mistaken, it's a law in the US that if you are a US citizen you MUST enter/leave the US using your US passport.
If there is such a law, then I guess my friend must have unknowingly broken it that one time. After that experience with CBP, he always uses his US passport when entering the US for any reason. I'm curious as to why there's a law stating that you must use your US passport each time.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:40 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
If there is such a law, then I guess my friend must have unknowingly broken it that one time. After that experience with CBP, he always uses his US passport when entering the US for any reason. I'm curious as to why there's a law stating that you must use your US passport each time.
Probably because if they know you are a US citizen it's quicker through passport control - not so many questions!

Although I met a guy (American citizen) in Seattle last year, who had spent some time travelling through Europe. On his return to LAX, he was quizzed by border officers about what he had been doing there and why he went there, how long he had been there etc. - maybe having an American passport doesn't exempt you from the inquisition
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Probably because if they know you are a US citizen it's quicker through passport control - not so many questions!

Although I met a guy (American citizen) in Seattle last year, who had spent some time travelling through Europe. On his return to LAX, he was quizzed by border officers about what he had been doing there and why he went there, how long he had been there etc. - maybe having an American passport doesn't exempt you from the inquisition
They get suspicious of certain countries, if you have spent a significant amount of time travelling, frequent travels to certain areas and so on.

For the first few years i was in Canada, the officers were very interested in me, but now they seem to have the knowledge I live in Canada, and I am lucky if they even ask me a question.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

What's a San Diegan doing in Canada?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 1:36 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thank god the 24th of August is on a Sunday so no diplomatic incident will take place that day though I can't promise anything won't transpire on the 22nd or 25th.
British troops set fire to the White House — History.com This Day in History — 8/24/1814
That's my birthday. :P
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
What's a San Diegan doing in Canada?
Used to be married to a Canadian who didn't want to move there.

My girlfriend now would gladly move there though, but she has some health issues and we would be financially unable to afford healthcare for her there.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
I'm curious as to why there's a law stating that you must use your US passport each time.
You don't have to use your US passport, you can use anything in WHTI, until recently Americans could use things like their birth certificate.

This is one of the things that always makes me roll my eyes at the UK because I remember I used to see in travel programmes on TV they would imply Americans were not well travelled because the number of people who had passports was so low per capita. Being British and having to have this stupid red booklet to go anywhere (mainly because you need it to get back into the UK) they seemed to think the rest of the world was the same.

However not every country has the same passport fetish that the UK has and Americans could travel the whole of North America without any special ID until recently.

Anyway the reason for WHTI officially was anti-fraud, because it was impossible for CBP inspectors to know what every birth certificate ever issued by any given jurisdiction looked like. Puerto Rican birth certificates were so routinely forged by Mexicans that Puerto Rico had to re-issue them all.

So now Americans have to use a US passport, EDL, EIC, GE card, or NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST card to enter the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.