British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Our sensitive cousins to the south of us. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/our-sensitive-cousins-south-us-837515/)

Former Lancastrian Jun 27th 2014 11:45 am

Our sensitive cousins to the south of us.

So this week I had the pleasure of working with my US counterparts who work for USCBP (US Customs). I was politely informed by my supervisor today that I only had received one complaint which was not yet a diplomatic incident but could I curtail my remarks or stop taking the piss out of our Merican co workers.

So Im thinking what could I have possibly said that would offend or cause one of these officers to make such an observation to their boss mmmm

1. Hey in 2 months its the 200th anniversary of when the Brits set fire to your White House
2. Your invasion of Grenada wasn't a war
3. Not all American are gun crazed psychopaths
4. Could most Americans even point out the UK on a map
5. Not all people wanting to enter the US are terrorists so stop being paranoid

There may have been the other odd comment

macadian Jun 27th 2014 11:53 am

Re: Our sensitive cousins to the south of us.

May you have possibly mentioned that their 'Football' (NFL) is anything but!...:lol:

scrubbedexpat133 Jun 27th 2014 12:25 pm

Crack on FL. Having dealt with them many many times over I dont have an ounce of sympathy for them. They are their own worse enemy.

Miserable, arrogant, rude and in most cases pig ignorant.

I can say with some confidence that when asked by one if you speak English (despite holding my passport at the time standing next to my truck with the Union flag right in front of their face!!!) The correct answer is in fact not "Better than you F***wit!!!

The4BellsLondon Jun 27th 2014 2:52 pm

Keep up the good work!

bc_guy Jun 27th 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 11317697)
Crack on FL. Having dealt with them many many times over I dont have an ounce of sympathy for them. They are their own worse enemy.

Miserable, arrogant, rude and in most cases pig ignorant.

I can say with some confidence that when asked by one if you speak English (despite holding my passport at the time standing next to my truck with the Union flag right in front of their face!!!) The correct answer is in fact not "Better than you F***wit!!!

By FL, do you mean Florida? I totally have to agree with you if you do.

Beaverstate Jun 27th 2014 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11317652)
So this week I had the pleasure of working with my US counterparts who work for USCBP (US Customs). I was politely informed by my supervisor today that I only had received one complaint which was not yet a diplomatic incident but could I curtail my remarks or stop taking the piss out of our Merican co workers.

So Im thinking what could I have possibly said that would offend or cause one of these officers to make such an observation to their boss mmmm

1. Hey in 2 months its the 200th anniversary of when the Brits set fire to your White House

I am deeply, deeply offended,:p

Beaverstate Jun 27th 2014 8:07 pm

Plus to the south of 'us' is Mexico ;)

bc_guy Jun 27th 2014 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 11317891)
Plus to the south of 'us' is Mexico ;)

Acronyms are always spelt using purely capital letters, but I catch your drift. You also forgot Cuba.

Americans aren't all totally bad people but some of them really make me shake my head in disbelief sometimes. Oddly enough, my best friend in Canada is actually US-born.

scrubbedexpat133 Jun 28th 2014 1:08 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11317883)
By FL, do you mean Florida? I totally have to agree with you if you do.

No FL is the OP

SchnookoLoly Jun 28th 2014 1:57 am

Amazing. Love it.

happyhammers Jun 28th 2014 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11317652)

The World cup does mean the World cup , World series ? come on

Former Lancastrian Jun 28th 2014 3:48 am

Originally Posted by happyhammers (Post 11318172)
The World cup does mean the World cup , World series ? come on

Well there is one Canadian based team so I guess that counts as the World Series :lol:

bc_guy Jun 28th 2014 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 11318064)
No FL is the OP

Well isn't that ironic. I thought that "crack on FL" meant that you were asking him to joke about Florida. I now understand it to mean that you believe his post accurately describes a lot of Americans, not necessarily limited to Floridians. However, what you said in your previous post is very descriptive of the state of Florida. Of all the states I've ever been to, that one is the best example of what you've just described. But then again, I've only ever been to 6 of them. So it's possible that there are better poster children states for miserable, arrogant, rude, pig-ignorant Americans. I think I can safely wager that Florida is definitely in the top 10.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 28th 2014 3:59 am

Originally Posted by bc_guy (Post 11318182)
Well isn't that ironic. I thought that "crack on FL" meant that you were asking him to joke about Florida. I now understand it to mean that you believe his post accurately describes a lot of Americans, not necessarily limited to Floridians. However, what you said in your previous post is very descriptive of the state of Florida. Of all the states I've ever been to, that one is the best example of what you've just described. But then again, I've only ever been to 6 of them. So it's possible that there are better poster children states for miserable, arrogant, rude, pig-ignorant Americans. I think I can safely wager that Florida is definitely in the top 10.

Florida is a basket case state, even us American's make fun of them down there.

Former Lancastrian Jun 28th 2014 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11318183)
Florida is a basket case state, even us American's make fun of them down there.

Just think of the fun you could have with Floridians when checking in at a hotel down there when you identify yourself as a Canadian.

Do all your parking stalls have plug ins?
Is there sufficient parking for my dog sled?
Wheres the nearest Tim Hortons?
Does the cable have CBC news on it?