Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Opinions required...please

Opinions required...please

Old May 12th 2008, 2:00 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions required...please

Hello Orange Crush

I know how you are feeling and I know that it is a very hard decision to make.

I am starting to be realistic about maybe leaving our dog behind with my husbands mum and dad. Harvey is the centre of our world and he has been spolit from day one, I am a housewife and our dog is used to someone being with him all the time I feel it is unfair to leave him in the house on his own all day.

Harvey has artheritis and also suffers with fits from time to time, he is eight years old just turned. He stuggles with longer walks nowadays and can only go out for 20 mins at a push. If something was to happen when he was being flown over I would be mortified. Harvey is used to spending time with his 'Grandma and Grandad' and I know he would be looked after.

It really isn't a decision taken lightly because if we were to move I would have to get a job as well and it would mean the dog wouldn't get the time we have for him now.

I know this sounds harse but I am not going to turn down moving to Canada because of my dog. It really does upset me that I know deep down that it is not worth upsetting the dog by flying him to Calgary.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:09 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I know you have struggled with this decision over the last few months Emma. You can only make a decision that you yourself feel right with. I know you love your cats have not casually abandoned them. Coming over on your own, plus not knowing where you are going to live is another factor that made your decision difficult.

A trial period at your friend's house is a great idea. That way you will both be able to see how the cats have settled before you do move to NS.
Thank you I see you understand my situation, and others will never.

I also feel really bad about it and some of the comments do not help, I know pets are not disposable but in my situation it's what my cats needed. Isn't it sometimes down to what they need and not what you want.

I want this thread closed please.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Caitilin
A pet is for life, usually its not yours. They are not disposable.

For the record, i've emmigrated the pets snake 4 times and intend to do so again, even though exotics are by far the most expensive bar livestock to ship, and no, i'm not well off either.
Oh and for the record it's not about money but for the cats sake as if you know my situation you'll realise, they needed more than what I could give them.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Hello Orange Crush

I know how you are feeling and I know that it is a very hard decision to make.

I am starting to be realistic about maybe leaving our dog behind with my husbands mum and dad. Harvey is the centre of our world and he has been spolit from day one, I am a housewife and our dog is used to someone being with him all the time I feel it is unfair to leave him in the house on his own all day.

Harvey has artheritis and also suffers with fits from time to time, he is eight years old just turned. He stuggles with longer walks nowadays and can only go out for 20 mins at a push. If something was to happen when he was being flown over I would be mortified. Harvey is used to spending time with his 'Grandma and Grandad' and I know he would be looked after.

It really isn't a decision taken lightly because if we were to move I would have to get a job as well and it would mean the dog wouldn't get the time we have for him now.

I know this sounds harse but I am not going to turn down moving to Canada because of my dog. It really does upset me that I know deep down that it is not worth upsetting the dog by flying him to Calgary.
I understand and I think sometimes depending on situations you do have to be realistic, I had planned to take my cats from day one but I have had to change my plans for various reasons. I don't think one of my cats could cope well with the move and it may be the worst thing for her. Anyway it's a really tough decision and you know what your gut feeling tells you and good luck to you.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I know you have made a decision that was not easy, and I'm sure it's a good thing that you are rehoming ... I don't think anybody is really suggesting that you are abandoning your pets.

However, you did ask for opinions, and on this forum that is what you will get. Sometimes you will not like the answers. In this world if somebody says "black" somebody else will swear "white".

So try not to take it personally, or just stop reading the thread maybe, especially now you have made your decision?

In an ideal world everybody, including animals, would have a perfectly happy and fulfilling life and die of old age in their sleep ..... real life ain't like that!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; May 12th 2008 at 9:26 pm. Reason: too glib
Old May 13th 2008, 7:18 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Caitilin's comment of 'pets are not disposable' may have been a little harse. Orange Crush wants to do what is best for her pets.

Sometimes people may post comments on here because they feel the need of back up or support. Lets not make people feel that they can't post a thread on here for fear of attack, please think before posting. Somebody may get easliy upset if the thread is about a more tender issue.

I feel it is cruel to have a pet locked in doors all day, how bored would they be. Rehoming is the right move in this instance . It will be very hard for her to leave her pets and it won't have been the easy option.

Come on guys I am sure you understand, don't put a fellow expat down.

Orange Crush karma sent
Old May 13th 2008, 7:50 am

I think that Caitilin's comment of 'pets are not disposable' may have been a little harse. Orange Crush wants to do what is best for her pets.

Sometimes people may post comments on here because they feel the need of back up or support. Lets not make people feel that they can't post a thread on here for fear of attack, please think before posting. Somebody may get easliy upset if the thread is about a more tender issue.

I feel it is cruel to have a pet locked in doors all day, how bored would they be. Rehoming is the right move in this instance . It will be very hard for her to leave her pets and it won't have been the easy option.

Orange Crush karma sent

Thanks
Old May 13th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Orange Crush karma sent
Right, so poeple should be able to post comments without making them feel they can't post ....

and how does that tie in with people a) asking for opinions and hten b) objecting when they get them? Should the same not go for that opinion?

Please, explain this double standard to me. I'd love to hear it as last i checked i'm a 'fellow expat' too.

And I stand by my opinion. Pets are for life.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitilin
And I stand by my opinion. Pets are for life.
Of course, Caitlin, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'd defend your right to voice it on this thread and elsewhere. But in this instance I think you're allowing sentimental naivete to get in the way of reality.

Face it - even people aren't for life, which is why retirement communities and nursing homes exist. If it would be unnecessarily traumatic to move a pet, and if on arriving in a new home an animal that has been used to a come-and-go-as-you-please existence would have to be shut indoors from one end of the day to the next because its owner is single and out at work all day, why is it not a better alternative to re-home the pet with a neighbour so that it has access to familiar outdoor surroundings?

I'm no animal psychologist, but my limited experience and observation tends to illustrate that pets transfer their affections to new people very easily, even at an advanced age. If I were in OrangeCrush's position, of course I would be upset about leaving my pet behind when I move, but I would take the same decision she has done - that rehoming the animal locally is less traumatic and disruptive than having it suffer the move and the inconvenience of its new lifestyle.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:31 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'm no animal psychologist, but my limited experience and observation tends to illustrate that pets transfer their affections to new people very easily, even at an advanced age.
Quite. My dog is about eight, so not a puppy, and a right tart. If you scratched his back and gave him a lump of cheese, he'd forget I existed.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Quite. My dog is about eight, so not a puppy, and a right tart. If you scratched his back and gave him a lump of cheese, he'd forget I existed.
If it were Balderson's I'd forget you to.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If it were Balderson's I'd forget you to.
Good God man!

One doesn't give that stuff to a dog. Far too good.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:07 pm

I don't come on here to start world war three, I thought that what you said was a little harse in this case. (don't take it personally)

I am not going to repeat what I have said already, nor am I going to start a battle with you Caitlin.

I aired my opinion on why I feel that it is right to leave a pet, which you have got rather touchy about.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

No Cassie, i did not get touchy about your opinion - everyone is entitled to theirs.

What I got touchy about is you calling my comments harsh, whilst I am not the only one who has stated that opinion, and then proceeding to ask for everyone's opinion to be respected - while at the same time putting mine down

I'm not in the mood for 'wars' either (in fact, rather refuse to have them) but if the OP wanted a list of yes-people only, they should have said so. My opinion, like it or not, is just as valid as everyone elses and it is the fact that mine was singled out as somehow being 'wrong' that I get touchy about.
Old May 13th 2008, 4:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Of course, Caitlin, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'd defend your right to voice it on this thread and elsewhere. But in this instance I think you're allowing sentimental naivete to get in the way of reality.

Very good posting... and I concur ...
Ok ..perhaps a youngish pet could make the move
But an older pet ..no way!.. its like asking your granny to move away
from her life todate...

Dogs and cats ..some birds are domesticated animals..

Snakes are certainly not.. I have many living in my woods
very happily ...they don't need to be in a tank ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.