Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Opinions required...please

Opinions required...please

Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:27 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Opinions required...please

Hello, I'm needing your opinions on this matter... I'll explain below.

I am going to be moving to NS hopefully soon and I am doing this on my own, I have two cats however and at the moment they are shut in one room of my Mum and Dad's house, they have a dog you see. I don't like the situation with the cats at the moment.

I was/maybe/am thinking of taking them with me to NS but have been recently thinking will it be worth it for them as one of my cats is timid, and the financial aspects of taking them as I will be on my own does woorry me (I will not be earning a lot).

I've been wanting to take them for ages but this is a recent thought of leaving them here in Scotland and finding a new home for them. It's a really hard decision to make but it might be the best decision for them to leave them, or it might not be. I'm just really confused right now.

I was just hoping for some advice and thought I'd ask on here to see what people think.

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions required...please

Find the cats a new home in Scotland would be my choice. Leaving them with your mother doesn't sound like an option and taking them with you sounds like a needless stress for both you and them!

My 2 cents.

AX
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Leave them behind and get a new set once here. After all it is not as if you were leaving your kids behind; these are only cats!

I would say the same for any pets, not just for cats.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:36 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush

I am going to be moving to NS hopefully soon and I am doing this on my own, I have two cats however and at the moment they are shut in one room of my Mum and Dad's house, they have a dog you see. I don't like the situation with the cats at the moment.

I was/maybe/am thinking of taking them with me to NS but have been recently thinking will it be worth it for them as one of my cats is timid, and the financial aspects of taking them as I will be on my own does woorry me (I will not be earning a lot).

I've been wanting to take them for ages but this is a recent thought of leaving them here in Scotland and finding a new home for them. It's a really hard decision to make but it might be the best decision for them to leave them, or it might not be. I'm just really confused right now.

I was just hoping for some advice and thought I'd ask on here to see what people think.

Thanks
Hi, We made the decision to leave our cat back in the UK, she was getting on in years and could be very nervy, i didn't think that she would cope with the travelling, and the stress of being kept in for a few months until we had a permenant home, it was very sad to leave her, but my husbands brothers family took her on, and we regularly see her on the webcam! Only you know your cats, and what they would be able to tolerate,

Alison
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one, as i moved over on my own and bought my cat with me and was very very pleased i did. She was great company on this big adventure, and coped really well.

I spoke to my vet about it, and his advice was what would upset her more. 1 long day of travelling, or losing her human, ie how attacehd was she to me?

I was worried about the stress of the jounrey on her, but no problems and she didnt ever pee in her cage. that first night here in Canada she curled up on the bed with me and purred me to sleep.

It wasn't ridiculiously expensive, she came as excess baggage on AC for about £120.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. Follow your heart and do what is best for you and your cats.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:53 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robski
I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one, as i moved over on my own and bought my cat with me and was very very pleased i did. She was great company on this big adventure, and coped really well.

I spoke to my vet about it, and his advice was what would upset her more. 1 long day of travelling, or losing her human, ie how attacehd was she to me?

I was worried about the stress of the jounrey on her, but no problems and she didnt ever pee in her cage. that first night here in Canada she curled up on the bed with me and purred me to sleep.

It wasn't ridiculiously expensive, she came as excess baggage on AC for about £120.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. Follow your heart and do what is best for you and your cats.
Ditto!

Charlie

Last edited by purple80; Apr 21st 2008 at 4:55 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bring the cat.
I knew someone who went to mainland Europe from the UK and left the dog. She was very depressed and missed the dog a lot.

I know 2 people who have come here from the UK and brought cats with them and it was no issue for them or the cats. Indeed one vet said it was less stressful for cats than dogs!

HTH
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:56 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I left my cat in Victoria with a good 'cat person' friend when I went to England. I missed my cat more than I missed my family but that was buffered by pics and updates about her... and knowing that she and my friend got a long very well. Plus, I visited with her on visits back. She was happy to see me for about half an hour then she acted as though I had never left (ie, ignored me until she wanted food ).

Leaving her worked for me and her but I have to admit it would have been nice to have her around.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:19 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I had to leave my 3 legged fatso cat behind - he now lives with my Auntie and is King of the house. Really miss him though but it was best for him to stay - since he lost his 4th leg he became really nervous.

Just read that back and sounds like he is nervous that someone is going to pinch his other legs..!!

You know what is right for your cats and you - don't let anyone sway you, just do what feels right for you.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:33 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm so many thoughts, thanks for all your opinions.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Leave them behind and get a new set once here. After all it is not as if you were leaving your kids behind; these are only cats!

I would say the same for any pets, not just for cats.
Shame one can't sent anti-karma....saying leave the cats behind is one thing, being unpleasant about it is another!

Aw, Emma, I'd look after them for you if OH wasn't allergic!

Do what you feel is best for you!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our cat. She wasnt bothered by the journey at all and settled in easy as anything, soon murdering the local wildlife. Though they say cats are happy as long as they are fed ours did pine when we went on holiday and left her for 2 weeks, so I would say bring them over.

If you do rehome them then try and make sure they go together
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
We brought the dog, but left my tortoise ( which I have had for 35 years ).

It's a tough call. BTW we didn't just leave him at the roadside waving to us, we rehoused him with someone who had two already.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't bring our cat (or tortoises). Our cat was a rescue cat, she was incredibly timid and we weren't sure how she would cope with the flight. Our friends took her into their home to give their rescue cat a friend - neither cat cares for the other, if one comes into a room the other will go out

You have got to do what you feel is right for you and your miaowsers.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

Don't do it!!! Get them a nice, comfy warm place in Scotland why...well.... I'm still reminded by my OH some 13 years later (usually comes up when he wants to buy some new gadget for himself!) about our cat saga. We used to live in Cyprus and I took in a stray 6 months before we were due to leave the Island. I fought and fought to get him to see how we could leave "Baggy" behind and cried and cried and stamped my feet and he gave in as long as I agreed he could have a new computer. Done deal.

Baggy flew back British Airways and we were on a Hercules for 15 hours (had an emergency medi vac diversion to Sardinia!) with just a bucket and a curtain to go to loo and the only female on board I even felt jealous of Baggy.

Baggy landed in Heathrow and was picked up and taken to Lincolnshire to a beautiful Country home with beautiful heated accommodation and fabulous care. He spent 6 months in quarantine (Cyprus is a rabies free country flying to another rabies free country the UK) this whole thing cost us just over 1500 GB pounds but we visited him regularly (I did!) and fussed him lots.

He came out eventually of quarantine and then the trouble really started. He couldn't settle so we had him on a lead for a while in the back garden, he took a run and jump over the neighbours fence the lead wasn't long enough and he hung there for 2 hours (we were inside at the time) wasn't until the neighbour asked if our cat enjoyed hanging around we knew something was up. Then 2 weeks later he managed to get out of the house through a window and ran off. Doorbell went and neighbour told us our cat was in their garage making a right load of noise. He'd been run over, 1 broken leg, broken jaw costing another 800 GB pounds. Eventually nursed him back to health (I'm now 9 months pregnant!) and the first time his leg cast was off and he went outside for some fresh air and ran off!!! Never, ever saw him again. Bloody brilliant thousands of pounds and the ungrateful S*i* runs off.

Don't waste your money get a Canadian cat. Baggy was a wild, cypriot cat that should have been left where he was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.