The Ontario Sunshine List.

The Ontario Sunshine List.

Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:25 pm
Banned

veggies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Ontario Sunshine List.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would work for 35k or 40k for the CBSA...lol

0.5% raise isn't too bad. Better then 0% plus the benefits are worth a great deal.

It sounds to me then that the 'power / ego trip' aspect of it that appeals to you i.e. you decide if some crosses or not, or if you are going to make them open the boot of the car
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no desire for power. Just need a better income and well 35 to 40k is sufficient.

Life isnt about fleecing as much from the govt as possible.

Just pointing out there are people who would do that job for less to obtain the benefits many govt workers receive.

I dont care for power nor do I care to become wealthy. Simply want a reasonable wage that allows a comfortable life, benefits and some sort of retirement. 35 to 40k with benefits is suitable wage in my view and I would be willing to do that sort of job as would many others.

And yes I have tried to get govt jobs across several levels of govt for a decade without success.

Crapshoot to get in govertment job without knowing the right people who already work for them.

Originally Posted by veggies
It sounds to me then that the 'power / ego trip' aspect of it that appeals to you i.e. you decide if some crosses or not, or if you are going to make them open the boot of the car

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 31st 2016 at 9:06 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:23 pm
Banned

I have no desire for power. Just need a better income and well 35 to 40k is sufficient.

Life isnt about fleecing as much from the govt as possible.

Just pointing out there are people who would do that job for less to obtain the benefits many govt workers receive.

I dont care for power nor do I care to become wealthy. Simply want a reasonable wage that allows a comfortable life, benefits and some sort of retirement. 35 to 40k with benefits is suitable wage in my view and I would be willing to do that sort of job as would many others.

And yes I have tried to get govt jobs across several levels of govt for a decade without success.

Crapshoot to get in govertment job without knowing the right people who already work for them.

Govt jobs come in all flavours, and some are more harder to get than others. You mention the 35k - 40k wages with benefits....Privates in the Military earn that while going through training, along with benefits and other incentives.

If you have a Degree, you can join and become an officer by direct entry once you decide on a trade and take the entrance exam. In 6-7yrs you will be earning well over 80k
Old Mar 31st 2016, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I did try to join the US Airforce and US Army in my younger days. However I was not medically fit due to a heart murmor and active need to be treated for anxiety and depression.

Having arthritis, and other health issues and not being a Canadian citizen, I highly doubt the Canadian military is an option.

I did try the US though when in my 20s as it was the best option and really only option to training and skills for employment.

(I am a USC hence why I tried the US military in my younger years. 2002 and 2003 to be exact.)

Govt jobs come in all flavours, and some are more harder to get than others. You mention the 35k - 40k wages with benefits....Privates in the Military earn that while going through training, along with benefits and other incentives.

If you have a Degree, you can join and become an officer by direct entry once you decide on a trade and take the entrance exam. In 6-7yrs you will be earning well over 80k
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from a completely wrong analysis of Jsmith, I haven't a clue what you are trying to say here.

Could you try again?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bats
Apart from a completely wrong analysis of Jsmith, I haven't a clue what you are trying to say here.

Could you try again?

Are you Jsmith then?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you Jsmith then?
She is not. I am not. I concur with the idea that you have the man wrong.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 2:58 pm
Banned

So...until the man answers for himself, what gives? My post didn't for sure project a definite claim on the poster being after the 'power / ego'. It was rather an assumption

Originally Posted by dbd33
She is not. I am not. I concur with the idea that you have the man wrong.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

I did respond yesterday. I tried to be clear power isnt my cup of tea and simply having a modest income and benefits is all I seek. Benefits are worth a lot in my view and I would be willing to take less in return for good benefits.

Like when I worked at the airline, majority of us were willing to take less pay for the benfits we received like free flying and since it was the 90s and the US the premium and co pay free medical insurance was worth hundreds if not thousands per year.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 4:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;11911Like when I worked at the airline, majority of us were willing to take less pay for the benfits we received like free flying and since it was the 90s and the US the premium and co pay free medical insurance was worth hundreds if not thousands per year.[/QUOTE]

I've known a few people who got clerical jobs with the government by first getting hired as casual through a temp agency. It didn't happen necessarily on the first job, but after working casual (holiday or medical relief in some cases), when a part-time or permanent job was posted for that position they applied and got in. I suppose you'd have to find out which agencies supply the government.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As most countries are in precarious situations and billions of dollars in debt many are now being forced to revaluate and the Public Service workers have become a big target through no fault of their own.
Gone are the days when workers had very few rights if any and no 14 year olds are sent down the pits anymore well at least in 1st world countries.
From the 70s onwards Unions became very powerful and strikes seemed to be an everyday occurrence with some sectors.
In those days a lot of public sector workers bargained with their Unions and the Govt for fair deals.
Fast forward to today and they become the target. Salaries have now made competitive reasons to work for a Govt but its the benefits that they bargained for that are under attack rightly or wrongly depending on your views.
These benefit packages are now deemed unsustainable (pensions, sick time and severance packages) and are now being reviewed.
To some these benefits are outrageous but many public service workers will say that wages paid in the private sector for similar jobs were outrageous and now we seem to be in a race to the bottom.
Is there a simple solution No there isn't but we all have jobs to do and workers should be compensated for doing valuable work in both sectors.
Govt workers do not work for profit orientated companies they provide a service.
Im pretty sure if you handed over the Passport Office over to the private sector you just might see costs go up as it is now profit driven as opposed to a service.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

The mass elimination or reduction in benefits in the private sector is likely a part of the issue. People see less pay, less benefits, no retirement, poor vacation etc and then see many govt jobs getting benefits and good time off etc and it can create conflict.

Govt employees could also help themselves by prividing friendly service. I find it very rare in a govt office where the workers are friendly and many times they are just down right rude.

Private sector employees by and large dont have the same bargaining position govt employees do because well govt employees generally have a monopoly so shutting a service down due to a strike is a lot more effective.

Private sectors employers can find ways around strikes and the public impact is far less due to most private companies having competition.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 5:06 pm
Banned

Your observation is a valid one, and I am particularly glad that I made the switch from private sector to public in the late 2000s. My primary reason was job security and pension.

The 5 week paid vacation is good, along with health and dental coverage, sick days (which am yet to use), MATA/PATA, short days, and yearly increase in wages (thru pay scales).

Note: Govt workers are just a microcosm of the population as a whole, so the point about 'rudeness' might be too harsh

The mass elimination or reduction in benefits in the private sector is likely a part of the issue. People see less pay, less benefits, no retirement, poor vacation etc and then see many govt jobs getting benefits and good time off etc and it can create conflict.

Govt employees could also help themselves by prividing friendly service. I find it very rare in a govt office where the workers are friendly and many times they are just down right rude.

Private sector employees by and large dont have the same bargaining position govt employees do because well govt employees generally have a monopoly so shutting a service down due to a strike is a lot more effective.

Private sectors employers can find ways around strikes and the public impact is far less due to most private companies having competition.