Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Ontario Sunshine List.

The Ontario Sunshine List.

Old Mar 26th 2016, 12:31 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ontario Sunshine List.

1: It's only money
2: You can't take it with you
Old Mar 26th 2016, 12:33 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
1: It's only money
2: You can't take it with you
I took some to England on holiday
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You are correct. The fact that it probably needs updating I have no problem with.
I can say for certainty that my salary has not increased 50% since 1996.
I have no problems with people making decent salaries and of course we know its very hard to find a private sector sunshine list be it from 1996 or today.
I would hazard a guess and say when you were working you would have made a sunshine list to which you would probably reply but Im highly educated and sought after in my field of work and that I deserved that salary plus the defined pension benefit plan you are now drawing from.
Of course any public sector worker faces scrutiny as we all know they are overpaid and have golden pensions plus can accumulate generous sick time that they use at the end of their careers so in essence retire earlier and still being paid a salary.
I'd actually say it's none of your business.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just to emphasise my point about the increasing irrelevance of $100K, this table Ontario Sunshine List - search & analyze shows that the number of earners above this arbitrary threshold has gone from less than 5000 in 1996 to over 115,000 in 2015.

It's just stupid and apart from being being a divisive invasion of privacy, is a fossil remnant of Harris's attack on public sector workers and their unions 20 years ago.

ETA: Playing around with the metrics on that site shows that to get the number on the list back down to around the 5,000 on the 1996 list, you have to increase the 2015 threshold to $200,000.

QED.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 26th 2016 at 9:50 am.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd actually say it's none of your business.
True but if you are or were a public servant then your salary would be disclosed publicly so then it becomes everyones business as they can search the various data bases.
When lists like this are published its just more ammunition to complain about public servants and especially nowadays where many are saying these wages and benefits are not sustainable and especially budgets given to police forces.
Severance packages have now almost been eliminated from the Federal Public Service so the new hires won't see those.
Enjoy your retirement.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 10:00 am
Born again atheist

True but if you are or were a public servant then your salary would be disclosed publicly so then it becomes everyones business as they can search the various data bases.
When lists like this are published its just more ammunition to complain about public servants and especially nowadays where many are saying these wages and benefits are not sustainable and especially budgets given to police forces.
Severance packages have now almost been eliminated from the Federal Public Service so the new hires won't see those.
Enjoy your retirement.
Only in Ontario. Which isn't particularly fair is it?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Only in Ontario. Which isn't particularly fair is it?
Actually a few Provincial Govts do and we are now starting to see cities post them

Government of Alberta Salary Disclosure
British Columbia 2014 - Salary Disclosure Stats - SunshineListStats.com
http://www.winnipeg.ca/corp/document...disclosure.pdf
Nova Scotia Department of Finance - Public Sector Compensation Disclosure
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:25 am
Born again atheist

Fair enough. I thought only ON was stupid enough.

How about the feds?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:27 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Cost Of Living 1996

How Much things cost in 1996
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 2.93% Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 6448 Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 8.25% Average Cost of new house $118,200.00 Average Income per year $36,300.00 Average Monthly Rent $554.00 Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.22 US Postage Stamp 32 cents Average cost of new car $16,300.00 Loaf of Bread $1.15 Minimum Hourly Wage Raised To $5.15
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 69,453 Gallon of Petrol 2.70 Yearly Inflation Rate UK 2.4% Interest Rates Year End Bank of England 5.94% FTSE 100 Average 3800
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:30 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Cost Of Living 1996

How Much things cost in 1996
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 2.93% Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 6448 Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 8.25% Average Cost of new house $118,200.00 Average Income per year $36,300.00 Average Monthly Rent $554.00 Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.22 US Postage Stamp 32 cents Average cost of new car $16,300.00 Loaf of Bread $1.15 Minimum Hourly Wage Raised To $5.15
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 69,453 Gallon of Petrol 2.70 Yearly Inflation Rate UK 2.4% Interest Rates Year End Bank of England 5.94% FTSE 100 Average 3800
I wasn't aware that most Ontario public sector workers live in the USA.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:34 am

I wasn't aware that most Ontario public sector workers live in the USA.
I know weird ehh, is just rough comparison only

Game boys were just coming popular and walk mans

I wonder if the sunshine list people of 1996 would still be happy with the same wage today? 200,000 is a more realistic number to base the list on, if we really need a list?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:40 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I know weird ehh, is just rough comparison only

Game boys were just coming popular and walk mans

I wonder if the sunshine list people of 1996 would still be happy with the same wage today? 200,000 is a more realistic number to base the list on, if we really need a list?
I actually made the same amount in 1996 as I did in 2015.

But I retired on July 1st 2015.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

When lists like this are published its just more ammunition to complain about public servants...

Whoever started the thread should be strung up.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair enough. I thought only ON was stupid enough.

How about the feds?
This article was dated 28 Mar 2013
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/cana...220207728.html

On Wednesday, Parliament passed second reading of Bill C-461 — The CBC and
Public Service Disclosure and Transparency Act.

If the Bill is adopted, as is, the salaries and expenses of all federal public service workers who make over $188,000 would be subject to access to information requests.

Actually the salaries of most Feds are disclosed but do not name the individual. The Treasury Board show the salaries for workers in this document

https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/h...s-taux-eng.asp

So if you know the employer and classification its easy to find and for anybody who is interested this is my annual salary

$70120 and the last contract expired in June 2014 and we have been offered a 0.5% raise. Of course the politicians gave themselves a 2.3% raise which is 5 times more than what the workers are being offered.

Its not very hard to find out the salaries of most public sector workers but Im betting IBM, Google and a few others have no intention of releasing their workers salaries.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 1:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

$70120 and the last contract expired in June 2014 and we have been offered a 0.5% raise.
Do workers in your job classification or at the CBSA get paid overtime?

Of course your salary of some $70k has medical benefits, more paid vacation days & a nice civil service pension which most common every day non-government sector workers don't have

Lucky is you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.