Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

All TO BE'rs take another run at Scotland Yard since everyone's so regretful they missed a meet-up and Shabab you can take your wife to Scotland Yard for supper and drinks and everyone will take care of the baby. Problem solved, you're welcome.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Originally Posted by shabab1978
They most certainly do do background checks on you when you enter Canada legally. How do you think they know whether or not you and inadmissible or not?? Canada has very strict immigration policies regarding criminal records. I wouldnt exactly call a dinner witg my wife "a jolly". What a load of overreaction to this topic.
Seriously? Shakes head!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
All TO BE'rs take another run at Scotland Yard since everyone's so regretful they missed a meet-up and Shabab you can take your wife to Scotland Yard for supper and drinks and everyone will take care of the baby. Problem solved, you're welcome.
Bingo!! What a good idea that man.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
...Shabab you can take your wife to Scotland Yard for supper and drinks...
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Bingo!! What a good idea that man.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall at that one.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take us too seriously Shabab, we're just trying to help. People do have fairly strong views on childcare issues. And generally speaking I've noticed that older parents are more cautious than younger parents.

On your user name, I noticed it too. I don't know if its a common name, I only know it from the news story about the Westgate shopping centre. I'm sure many Canadians and Brits would make the same connection, whether that is correct or not.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Don't take us too seriously Shabab, we're just trying to help. People do have fairly strong views on childcare issues. And generally speaking I've noticed that older parents are more cautious than younger parents.
Well that's a bit motherhood (if you'll excuse the pun). Older people in general are more cautious than younger people (I'm excepting dbd33 from this rule).

I think it's parents of older children (like me) who are critical of many parents of younger children either because they (the parents) have no idea yet of the extent of the disaster to their personal freedom which has just happened, or because they are hoverers.

It used to be said (and probably still is) that with the first child 90% of your free time disappears and with the second 90% of what was left. I think that is true.

But time is a great healer (cliché of the day award please) and in hindsight it will have been worth it.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:06 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

They most certainly do do background checks on you when you enter Canada legally. How do you think they know whether or not you and inadmissible or not?? Canada has very strict immigration policies regarding criminal records. I wouldnt exactly call a dinner witg my wife "a jolly". What a load of overreaction to this topic.
Err no they don't. My husband is here on a temp work permit, he had a police check for his job. I however had nothing, and they then issued me a work permit with no exclusions with a medical. No police checks to be in the (your super duper safe) country.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Err no they don't. My husband is here on a temp work permit, he had a police check for his job. I however had nothing, and they then issued me a work permit with no exclusions with a medical. No police checks to be in the (your super duper safe) country.
Do we know for a fact CIC doesn't do any sort of check when applying for a work permit? Just because one doesn't have to supply one, doesn't mean one wasn't done.

Not that I'd assume one was done on a sitter, that would be silly, but if the border guards can do a simple background check, I am sure CIC can when issuing work permits.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 12:33 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Police checks are usually paid for the by the person in question and take weeks to come through....

They gave me a work permit when we came back from a holiday in 20mins. I doubt they have access to a database of UK residents police records at the drop of a hat. To be fair if I want a job in health I will have to have a police check just as I'm having to be a volunteer at the school but the Canadian policeman categorically told me when I asked about UK address on the form that they will not check UK records...

Edited to add.... I got my work permit at the border..

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 5th 2014 at 2:03 am.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

We got our work permits at the border, I don't think any background checks were done.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Police checks are usually paid for the by the person in question and take weeks to come through....

They gave me a work permit when we came back from a holiday in 20mins. I doubt they have access to a database of UK residents police records at the drop of a hat. To be fair if I want a job in health I will have to have a police check just as I'm having to be a volunteer at the school but the Canadian policeman categorically told me when I asked about UK address on the form that they will not check UK records...

Edited to add.... I got my work permit at the border..
I have no idea that is why I asked. I know it's a TV show, but they appear to have some sort of access to criminal records from various countries, so I would not be surprised if something can be done at the border that local police cannot do.

Other then for CIC, I have never paid for a police check, the person/company asking for one has always covered the cost and did it via background check companies.

Suppose it varies company to company and agency to agency though, but for a job, employer should be covering the cost in my opinion if they want one.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 5th 2014 at 2:24 am.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
We got our work permits at the border, I don't think any background checks were done.
They would not have access to UK police records.
See Christmasoompa's post 60 higher up the thread - police checks are only required for PR.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They would not have access to UK police records.
See Christmasoompa's post 60 higher up the thread - police checks are only required for PR.
But as jrsmth also says up thread, that show on TV suggests they ARE able to access records somewhere. They often report as fact that the person they are dealing with has such and such record, charges, whatever against them.

This might be one of those situations where reality is different to the official position.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But as jrsmth also says up thread, that show on TV suggests they ARE able to access records somewhere. They often report as fact that the person they are dealing with has such and such record, charges, whatever against them.

This might be one of those situations where reality is different to the official position.

I know for a fact the US can access Canadian records at the border, and I am sure Canada is receiving info from the US, and one should not be surprised if other countries are involved as well even if publicly those countries say they don't.

Canada shares people's mental health issues with the US if police are involved even if there is 0 criminal activity involved, as many Canadian police agencies upload mental health calls into CPIC of which the US has access to and since in Canada police are the primary first responders to deal with mental health call's pretty much anyone who has called 9-11 for mental health help has a police record in CPIC even when there is nothing criminal in nature involved.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

As an expat living in Toronto, I can recommend a babysitter if you need one (She is our ex-nanny and is absolutely amazing). She currently nanny's during the day and does odd childcare jobs in the evenings.

PM for details if you are interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.