Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

shabab1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Hi guys, my wife, my 1 yr old son and I will be visiting Toronto for the Thanksgiving week and were wanting to get a babysitter for a few evenings while we are there that week. We have looked at all the online child care sites in Canada but the problem is that they wont let you register if you are overseas and do not have a Canadian credit card.

Can anybody recommend a babysitter that they use or know of with references etc.....Or can you advise on how we can go about finding someone qualified?

Thanks in advance!

Riz & Lyndsay
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:15 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Mmmm would you really trust your 1yr old with a stranger and on a strangers advice? Maybe book into hotel that offers an in house baby sitting service- not sure I would use one but if you really want to go out then that's probably your safest option.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:32 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Mmmm would you really trust your 1yr old with a stranger and on a strangers advice? Maybe book into hotel that offers an in house baby sitting service- not sure I would use one but if you really want to go out then that's probably your safest option.
A big + 1 from me.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm would you really trust your 1yr old with a stranger and on a strangers advice?
And speaking as a parent of kids who are more of the age to babysit than be babysat, I have to say the converse also applies....who would let their son/daughter babysit for a stranger advertising on the internet? Sorry.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:43 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
And speaking as a parent of kids who are more of the age to babysit than be babysat, I have to say the converse also applies....who would let their son/daughter babysit for a stranger advertising on the internet? Sorry.
Oh I quite agree...I'm just at the stage where I am thinking of (my) young children.... The post strikes me as a bit odd the more I think about it.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys - thanks for your replies, however I respectfully have to disagree about my request as being odd. We are seeking advice, not advertising for a baby sitter. Don't for one second think that I would leave my son with a complete stranger - there would be CRB checks, a face to face interview and reference checks, the same that you would do hiring any baby sitter that isn't a close friend or relative. I am merely asking if anyone knows of or uses a professional baby sitter, or a company that provides a baby sitting service that we could look into.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shabab1978
Hi guys - thanks for your replies, however I respectfully have to disagree about my request as being odd. We are seeking advice, not advertising for a baby sitter. Don't for one second think that I would leave my son with a complete stranger - there would be CRB checks, a face to face interview and reference checks, the same that you would do hiring any baby sitter that isn't a close friend or relative. I am merely asking if anyone knows of or uses a professional baby sitter, or a company that provides a baby sitting service that we could look into.
Nonetheless, you're asking complete strangers on the internet for recommendations. Perhaps not odd, but surely unwise.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you wanted to put someone through a CRB check and reference checks for a couple nights babysitting for tourists, they wouldn't be quite willing to sit for you. Unless its some sort of daycare centre that can provide that sort of thing on demand. Then maybe that would give you better options, but more expensive.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Babysitter in Toronto | Canadian Nanny
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:49 am
Muskoka, Ontario

You know it takes four weeks to get a police check... And you have to pay for it....and you're only here for a week. That is a lot of effort for a babysitter. I'm intrigued as to where on earth you are going out for a couple of nights?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:50 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by shabab1978
Hi guys, my wife, my 1 yr old son and I will be visiting Toronto for the Thanksgiving week and were wanting to get a babysitter for a few evenings while we are there that week. We have looked at all the online child care sites in Canada but the problem is that they wont let you register if you are overseas and do not have a Canadian credit card.

Can anybody recommend a babysitter that they use or know of with references etc.....Or can you advise on how we can go about finding someone qualified?

Thanks in advance!

Riz & Lyndsay
Plus you did say this...
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You going to find someone online ? Are you serious ?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gozit
I think if you wanted to put someone through a CRB check and reference checks for a couple nights babysitting for tourists, they wouldn't be quite willing to sit for you. Unless its some sort of daycare centre that can provide that sort of thing on demand. Then maybe that would give you better options, but more expensive.
Thanks Gozit that makes sense, we were looking for professional babysitters that are CRB/reference checked through a child care agency. As I mentioned previously these agencies do exist in Canada but in order to join them I understandably have to be local in Canada with a Canadian credit card. To clarify this is for a dinner or two out with my wife while we are there. That's not an unrealistic ask.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:36 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

This will sound rude, but how about you act like responsible parents and look after your own kid. Yes, we do like to have some free time without children, but sometimes it does not happen. It's not unrealistic to want that, but given the time and cost in getting a babysitter you'd be comfortable with, it'd limey be better just to take the small person with you. If you're going out for dinner, the little one would possibly be sleeping anyway, so no real issue.

Last edited by sharkus; Oct 2nd 2014 at 9:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.