Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
As an expat living in Toronto, I can recommend a babysitter if you need one (She is our ex-nanny and is absolutely amazing). She currently nanny's during the day and does odd childcare jobs in the evenings.

PM for details if you are interested.
I know that you're only trying to be helpful, but take a step back and ask yourself whether, if you were visiting London for a week or two, you would take up a recommendation such as you offer from a stranger on the internet.

Thought not.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know that you're only trying to be helpful, but take a step back and ask yourself whether, if you were visiting London for a week or two, you would take up a recommendation such as you offer from a stranger on the internet.

Thought not.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Thought not.
you think wrong then - I have done when visiting other countries and had no problems at all after asking on fishing or music forums. a couple of recommendations and a bit of research worked out ok.

in fact we recruited our nanny after someone overheard a conversation in a coffee shop here. turns out she was absolutely amazing and on of the best things that happened to us in Toronto.

not everyone is that negative and quick to condemn and some are genuinely helpful.

thanks
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
you think wrong then - I have done when visiting other countries and had no problems at all after asking on fishing or music forums. a couple of recommendations and a bit of research worked out ok.

in fact we recruited our nanny after someone overheard a conversation in a coffee shop here. turns out she was absolutely amazing and on of the best things that happened to us in Toronto.

not everyone is that negative and quick to condemn and some are genuinely helpful.

thanks
OK then. Some of us are more risk averse, especially when it concerns very young children. But an overheard conversation in a coffee shop, followed up by face to face interviewing of the recommended sitter, is not quite the same thing as an anonymous internet forum
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:07 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you would be so open to risk if say we swapped the small child to a piece of expensive jewellery or equipment? Hey stranger off the internet I've met once will you look after this beautiful diamond necklace for me???

After all you don't need to leave that with someone not do you need to go out for dinner without a small child... Now I don't believe the world is bad and believe in most people have the best intentions but I wouldn't take the risk with a small child because there is simply no need to do so..
Old Oct 7th 2014, 3:44 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I wonder if you would be so open to risk if say we swapped the small child to a piece of expensive jewellery or equipment? Hey stranger off the internet I've met once will you look after this beautiful diamond necklace for me???

After all you don't need to leave that with someone not do you need to go out for dinner without a small child... Now I don't believe the world is bad and believe in most people have the best intentions but I wouldn't take the risk with a small child because there is simply no need to do so..

My daughter hates it when we drag her out to restaurants. She would much rather we did the kindly thing and leave her at home with random strangers.
Generally we do neither.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 4:53 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Gozit could do it?
Old Oct 8th 2014, 12:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Maybe Gozit could do it?
Ha ha now that is a good option...we think he's sound and he is looking for part time work....although we should warn you Shabab he might spend too much time on his smartphone on expat whilst babysitting... Still you wanted a babysitter!
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ha ha now that is a good option...we think he's sound and he is looking for part time work....although we should warn you Shabab he might spend too much time on his smartphone on expat whilst babysitting... Still you wanted a babysitter!
Ha

I'd keep the sprog alive at least... Maybe occupy him/her with some Peppa Pig... Now that's enough to make one go crazy.)
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:33 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, prior to the ops anti Brit rant, I didn't see the harm in asking for some recommendations. However it was the implication that this will be the first time that TV Sprog has ever been left struck me as odd. Would you not want to do that at home first, with some one you know (ish) ?

Once they are used to baby sitters then use Norland etc before you pack em off to boarding school
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:43 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Once they are used to baby sitters then use Norland etc before you pack em off to boarding school
Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

OP
does this help?

*stolen from Nutek's picture thread*
Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
My daughter hates it when we drag her out to restaurants. She would much rather we did the kindly thing and leave her at home with random strangers.
Generally we do neither.
Do you leave them in the car with a Coke and pizza while you piss it up in the Legion?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:25 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Do you leave them in the car with a Coke and pizza while you piss it up in the Legion?
Pizza? Salt n vinegar, or cheese and onion crisps. Be out in a hour for a quick Woodbine and to see if they need another coke