Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occasional babysitter required in Toronto

Originally Posted by shabab1978
Apologies but I don't think I'm in a hole, and certainly not one that needs me to dig myself out of. It seems to me that some people on here may be a tad bitter about their own situations? If we don't find a suitable babysitter so be it, we are merely exploring the possibility. Are we going to stay in and be miserable? No. As for leaving it until we are back in London and having a babysitter here look after him, well, lets just say we dont trust people here. British attitudes leave a lot to be desired....case and point. I would certainly never leave my baby with anyone given the colorful language you people use and the fact that its common practice to emotionally and physically abuse each other. Do i even need to mention your sad excuse for a sex offenders registry??? no, i dont. There's your answer, that is why we dont leave our baby alone here with babysitters. Start being more proactive as a country with your laws regarding sex offenders and abusers, then we may consider it. Hope youre enjoying living in our country and how safe it is for your children.
Are you seriously suggesting there is no swearing, emotional and physical abuse or child sex offenders in Canada? think again buddy and if you think sex offenders are treated differently in Canada, then no, no they are not, the law can be severely lacking on the victims behalf.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

British attitudes leave a lot to be desired....case and point. I would certainly never leave my baby with anyone given the colorful language you people use and the fact that its common practice to emotionally and physically abuse each other. Do i even need to mention your sad excuse for a sex offenders registry??? no, i dont. There's your answer, that is why we dont leave our baby alone .
So sorry shabab (for those of you that don't speak Arabic, this is "young Arab Male") - I think that's a decent translation isn't it? I would not ever have left my kid with a total stranger, and didn't...welcome to parenthood!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies but I don't think I'm in a hole, and certainly not one that needs me to dig myself out of. It seems to me that some people on here may be a tad bitter about their own situations? If we don't find a suitable babysitter so be it, we are merely exploring the possibility. Are we going to stay in and be miserable? No. As for leaving it until we are back in London and having a babysitter here look after him, well, lets just say we dont trust people here. British attitudes leave a lot to be desired....case and point. I would certainly never leave my baby with anyone given the colorful language you people use and the fact that its common practice to emotionally and physically abuse each other. Do i even need to mention your sad excuse for a sex offenders registry??? no, i dont. There's your answer, that is why we dont leave our baby alone here with babysitters. Start being more proactive as a country with your laws regarding sex offenders and abusers, then we may consider it. Hope youre enjoying living in our country and how safe it is for your children.
Oh, so you're a born and bred Canadian? That explains a lot.

Ta-ra.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:17 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

"You people"? Mods, mods, he's being racist by calling us "you people", please ban him, he's being racist!

On a serious note, you want our advice and yet don't seem to like the british attitude, hmm, funny place to be asking advice them. If you are Canadian, as it perhaps indicates in your comments ("living in our country"), then why not toddle off to a Canadian based forum and ask on there.

As for it being "your" country, well, how about we make comments about you being in "our" country, ie; the UK. Oh, but that would likely be seen as rude or racist, so we can't.

I'd also like to see what you define as "your" country, if it's being a citizen and holding a passport, I think you'll find that there might be one or two of us who qualify on that level. Perhaps, you mean we have to be born here. Care to enlighten us as to where you were born so we can then cast aspersions on your birthplace.

My apologies to all for a bit of a rant, and taking things a wee bit OT.

TL;DR
Take the kid with you when you go out for dinner, you can still get all dressed up. Hey, get a smart set of clothes for the nipper, they might like it too.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Latter? Eh? Jersey girl is right...IKEA is actually hell on earth but also I would never leave my kids in that environment.
Oh. Mine loved it.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP is discussing a one to one situation...schools, day camps etc are not.

I would never, ever leave my child with a teen babysitter. Why...because a girl that worked for me babysat in her teens...there was a fire and she ran outside...alone ...she was a kid and her first instinct was to run.

I have no idea about IKEA...I would not leave my child somewhere like that while I shopped. Anyway I hate IKEA...getting trapped in one of their stores is like a living hell.

I may have been an overprotective parent...but my daughter is a well balanced, independent young woman...and we have a great relationship. What about your kids? Do you leave them while you shop in IKEA?

I've left a dog a doggy daycare once in a mall, a dog is the closest thing I have had to a kid.

If I had a kid and had the resources, I'd so have a nanny though. No way I could handle dealing with a kid 24/7, but probably why I don't have kids too.

I just don't see an issue with using a babysitting service that is properly licensed with vetted employees if the parents need a sitter.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 4th 2014 at 3:55 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:16 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Kijiji free adds ?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I know a couple who gave the kid some phenergan, plugged in a baby alarm and went out for dinner. Probably less stressful for the child than an unknown babysitter.
Madeline McCann?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How had your son had an opportunity to build a relationship between him and his carer the first time you left him there?
Pre visits with me.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:57 am
Just Joined

shabab1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not consider myself racist. British is not a race btw. For those who are asking, i am British Canadian born in the UK. My wife is Canadian British born in Canada. All this silliness purely because we asked if someone knew of or could recommend a baby sitter. Perhaps i should have worded much differently to avoid confusion and frankly, the rath of very judgmental people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to take my wife out for dinner while in her home country. Its ridiculous you scrutinise this. Again, if we can not find a suitable person for the job, of course we would either take him with us or stay in, thats never a question. My wife babysat growing up and so did most of her friends. It was perfectly safe. She didnt know most of the families in the beginning. Another point l'd like to make that we know our little boy, you dont. We know his very outgoing personality, we know how he behaves infront of new people so we have no doubt that he would be fine and there would be no tears. Hes just that kind of toddler. However, if he wasn't happy, we do live in the 21st century where everyone owns mobile phones and we dont lack the ability to make the decision to just come home. Our apartment where we stay in Toronto is very familiar to him so he's comfortable there as well.
For the person taking my user name and deciphering so literally, no, i am not an Arab, it was a nickname that i was given by my Arab friends when i spent time growing up in Qatar.
Again, thank you to everyone who posted relevant and non judgmental suggestions. I much appreciate it.

Last edited by shabab1978; Oct 4th 2014 at 9:08 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If it's your wife's home country, then do you not have family members you can leave him with? That would be far better than a stranger.

Another point l'd like to make that we know our little boy, you people dont. We know his very outgoing personality, we know how he behaves infront of new people so we have no doubt that he would be fine and their would be no tears.
You said above that you've never left him for a night out in 2 years, so I'm not quite sure how you know this? My children are very outgoing and confident, but I still wouldn't have assumed they'd be ok if left for an evening for the first time ever in a strange environment, and with a stranger.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh. Mine loved it.
It's absolutely fine.

This part of the forum has gone completely over-the-top weird about kids

Last edited by Sally Redux; Oct 4th 2014 at 10:11 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:14 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting nickname...

So we can deduce from your posts...

You can't use what a few has suggested is the safest option ie a hotel because you have an apartment.

You've failed to engage an agency so a stranger to your baby can look after him/her who you've apparently never left me before apparently.

You have no time to police check which btw are not very safe. From my personal experience anyway. I didn't need a police check on way into country, the one I have applied for they have told me they will only be looking at my history in Canada.. So 9 months out of 38 yrs. Crikey I could be anyone, this will be sufficient to allow me to access to school children.

You really were just looking for a babysitter from the internet so you and your wife can go out for a jolly, and yet you have the gall to claim that us Brits are the unsafe ones.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

shabab1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

They most certainly do do background checks on you when you enter Canada legally. How do you think they know whether or not you and inadmissible or not?? Canada has very strict immigration policies regarding criminal records. I wouldnt exactly call a dinner witg my wife "a jolly". What a load of overreaction to this topic.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They most certainly do do background checks on you when you enter Canada legally. How do you think they know whether or not you and inadmissible or not?? Canada has very strict immigration policies regarding criminal records.
Which relies on people entering to declare any criminal record and tell the truth. They do no background checks whatsoever on visitors or those on temporary visas, such as work permits or study permits - they don't even have to supply a police cert. Plenty of examples on this forum of people who shouldn't have got in to Canada managing it!

Background checks are only done on those who have applied for PR.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.